Lens choice - Samyang/Rokinon

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eshan Kazemi

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi

Recently, I have been looking into buying Samyang/Rokinon 16mm T2.2 [APS-C version](http://www.rokinon.com/lenses/cine-ds-lenses/16mm-t22). Its original price is lower than the new version, i.e. Samyang/Rokinon 16mm T2.6 (http://www.rokinon.com/lenses/cine-ds-lenses/16mm-t26) [Full frame version]; So I decided to buy the one with T2.2 [APS-C version] as it is cheaper. But I have just found a Samyang/Rokinon 16mm T2.6 cheaper than the 16mm T2.2 version. My camera is BMPC-4k. What would you recommend? Would you buy the full frame version (T2.6) if you find it cheaper?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Es

rick.lang

Re: Lens choice - Samyang/Rokinon

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 5:43 pm

No question, the T2.2. It has a removable lens hood and that means you can use either 77mm screw-on filters or easily use it with a matte box. Although it’s sold as APS-C which has greater coverage than your 4K sensor requires, the actual image circle is large enough to cover the 4.6K sensor should you use those in the future. This lens is one of the sharpest lenses in its family with good contrast.

An advantage for the T2.6 is that the iris has 9 blades versus 8 blades which may give you better bokeh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Eshan Kazemi

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 pm

rick.lang wrote:No question, the T2.2. It has a removable lens hood and that means you can use either 77mm screw-on filters or easily use it with a matte box. Although it’s sold as APS-C which has greater coverage than your 4K sensor requires, the actual image circle is large enough to cover the 4.6K sensor should you use those in the future. This lens is one of the sharpest lenses in its family with good contrast.

An advantage for the T2.6 is that the iris has 9 blades versus 8 blades which may give you better bokeh.

Rick

Thanks for your informative response. It's sensible. I'll go for the old version.

Just one short question:

Between 16mm/T2.2 (http://www.rokinon.com/lenses/cine-ds-lenses/16mm-t22) and 20mm/T1.9 (http://www.rokinon.com/lenses/cine-ds-lenses/20mm-t19), which one would you choose for the BMPC-4k, if the 20mm/T1.9 is slightly cheaper?

Thanks in advance
Es

timbutt2

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 pm

All the dancing on the main stage in this video was done with the Rokinon 16mm T2.2:

Last edited by timbutt2 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 pm

I’m not familiar with how that 20mm T1.9 lens would perform on your BMPC4K. It’s similar to a 35mm when you adjust for the 1.7x crop. The 16mm is similar to a 28mm in comparison.

It’s suggested list price is higher so you must be getting a deal to find it cheaper. I wouldn’t make a decision based on price if they’re close.

Many people here use the 16mm. It took a while to take off, but now it’s a popular choice. The 20mm does have a removable hood thankfully and covers full frame and therefore is a feasible choice. In practice though I’ve found when you want to shoot wide, you always wish you had a little wider view. My widest APS-C lens is 18mm, and I’ve often wished I had 16/17mm, so that does make me lean to the 16mm T2.2 even though the T1.9 may be tempting.

Don’t put all your faith into the T-stop though as many of the budget lenses and lower end professional lenses may need to be stopped down a little before you get an image that is sharp enough. At the lens’ widest apertures, you’ll rarely shoot there except in an emergency or when you want a soft shallow focus beauty shot. As you can see in Tim’s video above, the 16mm performs very well.

You need to decide this one since both lenses would likely work well but my money goes to the 16mm on the BMPC4K and even the URSA Mini 4.6K.

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 pm

I can endorse the Rokinon 16mm T2.2 as I use it on my UM4.6K like mentioned above with the link to the video I pointed out. Although, I would always push for more expensive glass as Rokinons due tend to look more digital, softer at widest aperture, and less cinematic. Plus they have bad chromatic aberration.

The 16mm is perfectly wide for the UM4K and UM4.6K. Since the UM4K has the same sensor as the BMPC-4K it fits all the same. I have even used the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 on the UM4.6K, and that is APS-C size as well.

Just remember this: price may dictate purchases based on the money at hand, but always try to pay for better quality over cheapness. This saves you money in the long run.

Eshan Kazemi

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Thanks Tim for sharing the video and the information. Nice video!

Rick, thanks again.

I also would prefer the 16mm. In my opinion, the difference in the focal length (4 mm) is significant (about 25%?). I would like to be as wide as possible, but not fish-eye wide. Also, the T-stop is not important for me.

The 20mm/T1.9 that I've found is cheaper than the 16mm/T2.2, while its list price is usually higher. This was tempting. But now, thanks to your advice, I think I will get the 16mm/T2.2.

Es

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 4:00 am

Eshan, I’d do the same if I could for my URSA Mini 4.6K, but I don’t believe Rokinon offers it in a PL mount. I think you’ll enjoy it!

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 6:34 am

rick.lang wrote:Eshan, I’d do the same if I could for my URSA Mini 4.6K, but I don’t believe Rokinon offers it in a PL mount.

Technically Rokinon does offer their lenses in PL, but they're rebranded as XEEN lenses instead of Rokinon lenses and they cost a lot more money.

If you ask me, for the price of 6 Rokinon XEEN lenses you're better off getting 6 Sony CineAlta lenses, which are better optically.

rick.lang

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 am

I didn’t state that well at all. I meant their Cine DS Family doesn’t come in PL mount. Good catch though, Tim, as I did make a misleading and inaccurate statement. Fake news is everywhere!

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 4:16 am

rick.lang wrote:I didn’t state that well at all. I meant their Cine DS Family doesn’t come in PL mount. Good catch though, Tim, as I did make a misleading and inaccurate statement. Fake news is everywhere!

Well, this is more the semantics argument than fake news or inaccurate statement.

Return to Cinematography