Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Connect from Resolve - DPX playback choppy

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Matthew Lumb

Fusion Connect from Resolve - DPX playback choppy

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi,

I'm editing in Resolve and creating simple text graphics in Fusion. I select a 6s chunk of video, create a Fusion Connect clip, add the text and render. My problem is finding a format/codec that works. If I use the default DPX files, playback in Resolve is choppy, hugely choppy.

Same problem with EXR format. Same problem with TIFF format. MXF format returns as 'Media Offline' in Resolve. I've also tried clicking the 'Use source media' option - no change.

One near-solution I've found is to render to MOV files, but then that throws up another problem. Covered in another question here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=69451

It's a brand new Win 10 Home PC, 32GB RAM, i7-8700K CPU, 1080TI GFX. BarraCuda Pro 7200RPM HDD. I'm running latest Resolve and Fusion.

I just wonder if I'm missing *something* to play back these image sequences? Has anyone else had this or knows a solution?

Thanks, as always.

Adelson Munhoz

Re: Fusion Connect from Resolve - DPX playback choppy

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi Matthew,

I suggest that you use DPX or EXR for Fusion Connect since Fusion works better with these formats and Resolve does not lock them when in use.

To improve your playback, in Resolve choose a lighter format as cache in the preferences page (I personally use DNxHD SQ).

You must activate cache through Playback > Render Cache > User (or Smart)

As soon as you render the Fusion Connect Clip, right click it in Resolve and choose: Fusion Connect > Refresh.

Then right-click again and select "Render Cache Clip Output". It will appear a red line above the clip and, a few seconds later, it will turn blue, meaning that the cache is ready.

You will be able to play it without problems.

Keep in mind that the cache files perform better if stored in a local hard drive. I have two SSDs in RAID 0 solely for this.

Matthew Lumb

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks Adelson - that's got me working, it's still not perfect, but at least it's playing back smoothly. What I was missing was the Render Cache Format setting.

The next step would be to get the Fusion Connect clip to re-cache once it's been updated. If I make a change to the FC clip and come back to Resolve, the old cached clip persists. A way round it I've found is to quickly rotate and reset in the Inspector, that forces a re-cache and is quicker than selecting the clip and deleting the cache from the menu.

Really hope the Fusion Connect process improves in coming versions. It's just a little... clunky at the moment.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks again.

jussi rovanpera

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 11:28 am

A single hard drive is too slow to playback dpx, maybe that is an issue as well. HD dpx is 8MB per frame, 25fps = 200 MB/sec.

Paul Ingvarsson

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 pm

I'm chiming in out of order of events I think! Deactivate clip then activate to flush cache (press D twice)

I think you might have a version mismatch on the Two apps which is why it's saying media offline. In the saver properties go to format tab, fold down advanced and select Atom files. This worked for me.
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Matthew Lumb

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Paul Ingvarsson wrote:I'm chiming in out of order of events I think! Deactivate clip then activate to flush cache (press D twice)

Excellent tip - much quicker than forcing a re-cache by resizing/rotating/whatever - thanks.

What I've found is that I don't have this problem at all with a new project so I can only guess some corruption happened moving the project files from my old to my new PC. In short - all is well now.

Thanks all.

Return to Fusion