Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 10 requests

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Bryan Ray

Re: Fusion 10 requests

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:21 pm

ThomasManz wrote:copy/pasting the script into the console gives me:
[Reactor Installer] Version 1.0.1 - January 23, 2018
[Created By] Andrew Hazelden <andrew@andrewhazelden.com>
[Reactor] Detected Fusion 9.00 running on Linux

[Closing Comp] Composition1
[GitLab Branch] "master"

You need to update Fusion. Reactor requires a feature that was introduced in 9.0.1 to access the Lua library used to download materials. There really ought to be a minimum requirements note in the introductory post… I'll mention it to SecondMan.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Juha Takabe wrote: Viewer with 12345... is simply too handy to ignore.

Explain this more explicitly. What is Nuke doing that you can't do with Fusion with hotkeys or GUI customizations?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

ThomasManz

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:You need to update Fusion. Reactor requires a feature that was introduced in 9.0.1 to access the Lua library used to download materials. There really ought to be a minimum requirements note in the introductory post… I'll mention it to SecondMan.

Ah, ok thanks. I will do that.

Chad Capeland wrote:Explain this more explicitly. What is Nuke doing that you can't do with Fusion with hotkeys or GUI customizations?

As I said:
ThomasManz wrote:In Nuke you simply select a node hit 1, select another node hit 2, select another node hit 3 and you can then cycle through them by just hitting the number keys. And because this loads the output in the same viewer you can see even very little variations because the image "jumps" i.e. makes a rapid change.

In Fusion the only way I see to get a rapid change comparison is to either drag the nodes into the viewer or select nodeA hit 1, select nodeB hit 1 again, select nodeA hit 1...and so on. Both methods require you to take your eyes of the viewer get the required node and load it to the viewer. This way you don't get the same visual feedback like setting up two nodes for the viewer and then rapidly 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1 back and forth. This way you can see even the smallest changes. For example a roto mask that is off by one pixel or so. When I was working in Nuke I did that CONSTANTLY to check and recheck, thus I miss that feature like hell in Fusion.
Xubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
DaVinci Resolve 17.4.3 Build 10

Chad Capeland

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:48 pm

So there's nothing stopping you from doing that in Fusion now, right? It's just a matter of setting up your hotkeys and some comp variables?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Pieter Van Houte

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:
ThomasManz wrote:copy/pasting the script into the console gives me:
[Reactor Installer] Version 1.0.1 - January 23, 2018
[Created By] Andrew Hazelden <andrew@andrewhazelden.com>
[Reactor] Detected Fusion 9.00 running on Linux

[Closing Comp] Composition1
[GitLab Branch] "master"

You need to update Fusion. Reactor requires a feature that was introduced in 9.0.1 to access the Lua library used to download materials. There really ought to be a minimum requirements note in the introductory post… I'll mention it to SecondMan.

Erm...

Introductory post wrote:
What do I need to run Reactor?

You need Fusion (Free) or Fusion Studio version 9.0.2 or later running on Mac, Windows or Linux to enjoy the full functionality of Reactor and its content.

:)
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

ThomasManz

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 6:20 pm

Pieter Van Houte wrote:What do I need to run Reactor?

You need Fusion (Free) or Fusion Studio version 9.0.2 or later running on Mac, Windows or Linux to enjoy the full functionality of Reactor and its content.

Ok, that implies that < 9.0.2 it's working just not will the full functionality. That doesn't sound like < 9.0.2 the installer fails completely because your version is off by 0.0.2 in my case.
But to be honest, I didn't read that requirement line, ;)

Chad Capeland wrote:So there's nothing stopping you from doing that in Fusion now, right? It's just a matter of setting up your hotkeys and some comp variables?

As I said, I don't know how to replicate that functionality in Fusion with hotkeys and comp variables. If you know a way I'd be happy to hear.
Xubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Chad Capeland

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:15 pm

ThomasManz wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:So there's nothing stopping you from doing that in Fusion now, right? It's just a matter of setting up your hotkeys and some comp variables?

As I said, I don't know how to replicate that functionality in Fusion with hotkeys and comp variables. If you know a way I'd be happy to hear.

Hotkeys can have different contexts for different parts of the UI and you can have them directly execute scripts in Lua or Python. You can create arbitrary per-comp persistent data (CustomData) using a script. So you could have a hotkey that per-viewer checks the comp for a list of which tool outputs are assigned to the indices and show those tools in the viewer. This would work for any output type, be it image, 3D scene, material, number, etc..

There may be a documentation issue, but that's more of the real wish in this case. It's not so much that you want to be able to view an index of tools in the viewer, it's more that you want a way to easily customize the UI for your needs. That's a wish I can get behind. :D
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Ahab's Compass

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Automatic left/right eye timing sync to deal with camera timing sync issues using audio. e.g., this is a basic feature in Kodak Pixmax's 3D stitching software.

Bryan Ray

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:36 pm

Pieter Van Houte wrote:Erm...

<snip>

:)

My bad. :oops:

Time to get my glasses checked?
Bryan Ray

alan bovine

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 8:16 pm

ThomasManz wrote:Ok, that implies that < 9.0.2 it's working just not will the full functionality. That doesn't sound like < 9.0.2 the installer fails completely because your version is off by 0.0.2 in my case.
But to be honest, I didn't read that requirement line, ;)

9.0.2 or later, does literally mean 9.0.2 or later. It does not in any way shape or form imply that previous versions are going to work at all. Even if it would; any errors should be attributed to the user at that point.

The scripts and files I've provided to you (fusion.fu) files lets you do this stuff. If not explicitly then at least they'll show you the way.

As a community we try to help each other with solutions to requests big and small, but there HAS to be SOME investment on users behalf.
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

ThomasManz

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:So you could have a hotkey that per-viewer checks the comp for a list of which tool outputs are assigned to the indices and show those tools in the viewer. This would work for any output type, be it image, 3D scene, material, number, etc..

Could you please clarify that, because I can't follow what your saying.
What is assigned to what indices?
I'm not quite sure if we are talking about the same thing.

alan bovine wrote:9.0.2 or later, does literally mean 9.0.2 or later. It does not in any way shape or form imply that previous versions are going to work at all.

Read carefully, it does. The quote goes:
You need Fusion (Free) or Fusion Studio version 9.0.2 or later running on Mac, Windows or Linux to enjoy the FULL FUNCTIONALITY...

This means that you need 9.0.2 or higher only to use the FULL FUNCTIONALITY and below 9.0.2 you can only use it with limited functionality. This quote doesn't express that 9.0.2 is required to get going AT ALL, you only need it for full functionality.

alan bovine wrote:The scripts and files I've provided to you (fusion.fu) files lets you do this stuff. If not explicitly then at least they'll show you the way.

As a community we try to help each other with solutions to requests big and small, but there HAS to be SOME investment on users behalf.

Relax, I'm already reading the scripting documentation but
  1. I have problems using python. When I use the py2, py3 tabs in the console it says that neither 2.7 or 3.6 are found. In the Preferences > Global > Script the python versions are greyed out, I can't select them. I'm on Xubuntu so I have python3.5 pre-installed but it's not recognised and I'm struggling to find out how to fix this.
  2. since out of legacy most scripting around Fusion is Lua based, I'm now learning Lua, make myself familiar with the syntax and stuff but that takes a little time, so be a little patient with me or did you got into Fusion scripting over night.
  3. at the end of the day I'd rather be a Fusion user than a Fusion developer. I can't spend all my time scripting some macros and plugins and stuff to develop functionality that rather/better should be implemented nativly.

So please
alan bovine wrote:...but there HAS to be SOME investment on users behalf

I think I'm doing enough to consider it more than "SOME".
Xubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Chad Capeland

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 10:54 pm

ThomasManz wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:So you could have a hotkey that per-viewer checks the comp for a list of which tool outputs are assigned to the indices and show those tools in the viewer. This would work for any output type, be it image, 3D scene, material, number, etc..

Could you please clarify that, because I can't follow what your saying.
What is assigned to what indices?
I'm not quite sure if we are talking about the same thing.

You'll need to have some sort of index of which outputs are being requested. Like 1-10 or whatever. So you make an array that's stored in the comp's CustomData where you set each entry in the array to an output and you get/set those with a hotkey. So you might have hotkeys that assign and output to the index and one that takes the indexed output and puts it in the viewer.

It's possible to make a GUI for this, but it's not really necessary, it sounds like you just want to set up the number row to be the hotkeys with a modifier key.

ThomasManz wrote:I can't spend all my time scripting some macros and plugins and stuff to develop functionality that rather/better should be implemented nativly.

You sort of have to. Fusion is marketed as a compositor but it's designed as a image pipeline tool. You can do compositing with it out of the box, but what you're asking for is the kind of things that it does via customization. Any wish that is nothing more than a customization of existing functionality is a sink for BMD and should be left in the hands of the users.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Miltos Pilalitos

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 1:22 am

ThomasManz wrote:In Fusion the only way I see to get a rapid change comparison is to either drag the nodes into the viewer or select nodeA hit 1, select nodeB hit 1 again, select nodeA hit 1...and so on. Both methods require you to take your eyes of the viewer get the required node and load it to the viewer.

Have you noticed the 'A', 'A|B' and 'B' buttons in the lower part of the viewer? Those are the viewer's buffers. You can simply drag and drop the nodes you want in each buffer and then press ',' or '.' to swap between them.

',' and '.' are strategically placed next to each other for minimum finger displacement and zero eye movement. It is really quick.

As a bonus you can press the A|B button and manually drag and wipe between the two buffers for additional pleasure.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

ThomasManz

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 9:46 am

Chad Capeland wrote:You sort of have to. Fusion is marketed as a compositor but it's designed as a image pipeline tool. You can do compositing with it out of the box, but what you're asking for is the kind of things that it does via customization. Any wish that is nothing more than a customization of existing functionality is a sink for BMD and should be left in the hands of the users.

Ok, that's a question of philosophy.
How far does customisation go and where does development start?
In one of my examples, comparing nodes instantly with the number keys, your solution involves some significant scripting/development. I need an array, listen to keystrokes, evalutae them, save nodes in the array at specific indeces and then load them to the viewer. That's much more than customisation for me, where you go into the preferences, choose whatever option you want to customise, click save and done. Your not suggesting customisation of functionality that is there but to develop functionality with an api that is there. Big difference for me. With the same reasoning you could almost say: Download yourself C, C++ and customise in a way that you get your ideal compositing software.
If you got a missing feature on your house, like no balkony, do you go to the hardwarestore (your api with all the tools you need) and build that functionality yourself or do you request a professional, with much more experience, to do if for you?

Miltos Pilalitos wrote:Have you noticed the 'A', 'A|B' and 'B' buttons in the lower part of the viewer? Those are the viewer's buffers. You can simply drag and drop the nodes you want in each buffer and then press ',' or '.' to swap between them.

',' and '.' are strategically placed next to each other for minimum finger displacement and zero eye movement. It is really quick.

As a bonus you can press the A|B button and manually drag and wipe between the two buffers for additional pleasure.

I knew about the A/B swipe comparison but didn't know about ",", "." hotkeys. I think I can accept that as an intermediate solutions but it's still clumsy to settup the A/B buffers everytime I wanna do that and it's still limited to two.
But thanks for hint.
Xubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Chad Capeland

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 5:24 pm

ThomasManz wrote:Ok, that's a question of philosophy.
How far does customisation go and where does development start?
In one of my examples, comparing nodes instantly with the number keys, your solution involves some significant scripting/development. I need an array, listen to keystrokes, evalutae them, save nodes in the array at specific indeces and then load them to the viewer. That's much more than customisation for me, where you go into the preferences, choose whatever option you want to customise, click save and done. Your not suggesting customisation of functionality that is there but to develop functionality with an api that is there. Big difference for me. With the same reasoning you could almost say: Download yourself C, C++ and customise in a way that you get your ideal compositing software.
If you got a missing feature on your house, like no balkony, do you go to the hardwarestore (your api with all the tools you need) and build that functionality yourself or do you request a professional, with much more experience, to do if for you?

Um, YOU are the professional. You're the builder. The homeowner is the client who needs an ad or title sequence or VFX shot finished. The client doesn't want a shed that rolls off a flatbed, they want a custom house, and that's what you are supposed to be able to provide. If you can't handle the full amount of work that professional compositing requires, sub some of it out to someone who can. No one is expecting you to be the hero, but they are expecting you to be professional.

What's the difference between a Blur node and Image:Blur(Output, {})?
Nothing.
Fusion doesn't composite footage for you, you arrange nodes in the flow and tell it which to render. That's the same "customization" as setting up some hotkeys. The developers aren't paid to do the work for you, they just provide the means for you to do it. If you start up Fusion and just sit in front of it, nothing will happen. Everything you do with the software is custom development. That's the point. You bought a toolbox and you need to treat it as such to be successful.

If the tools don't exist at all, then sure, request something. No user was going to build a Linux version on their own, you needed the developers to make that happen. But when everything is already there waiting for you, you're expected to do the work in a professional manner or subcontract that out.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Marin Goleminov

Toggle local/world transform in 3D view, and some more

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 9:07 am

I'd like to see some basic additions to the 3D transform (gizmo):

- a toggle for local/world orientation of the move/rotate/scale handles
- a plane movement handle, or a modifier key that enables movement along a plane (e.g. holding shift and dragging the X-axis-handle moves along the plane perpendicular to it, YZ)
- a handle, or again modifier key, that enables scaling along two axes.

I like working in a single viewport, use a lot of 3D elements and want less viewport switching. I guess the addition would speed up some 3D related workflows.

What do You think?

Marc Gasser

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 4:50 pm

+1 for better audio support, also visible in the Timeline.

and what I really miss is a working Network Rendering under Linux.
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Sander de Regt

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:13 pm

+1 for better audio support, also visible in the Timeline.

Support could indeed be better, but it is already visibile in the timeline so that's 1 out of 2 fulfilled. :-)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Aurore de Blois

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Todd Groves wrote:I would like to see the Polygon node be capable of containing multiple masks in one node, like Nuke has, as shown in this image.
What's nice about this setup, is that you can create multiple masks, and then use the "Root" as a point where you can attach a track.

old fusion did this. i prefer the way they changed it to individual nodes, personally.
i doubt they'll dial this back to something from 10 years ago ;)
Au
MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro
Intel CM238 i7-7920 HQ CPU@3.10 GHz
DDR4-2400 (64GB)
1x M.2 SSD (SATA)
2x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA)
1x 2.5" SATA HDD
GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Aurore de Blois

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Todd Groves wrote:I would like to see the Polygon node be capable of containing multiple masks in one node, like Nuke has, as shown in this image.
What's nice about this setup, is that you can create multiple masks, and then use the "Root" as a point where you can attach a track.

old fusion did this. i prefer the way they changed it to individual nodes, personally.
Au
MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro
Intel CM238 i7-7920 HQ CPU@3.10 GHz
DDR4-2400 (64GB)
1x M.2 SSD (SATA)
2x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA)
1x 2.5" SATA HDD
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Chad Capeland

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Aurore de Blois wrote:

Au

Something I WOULD like to see is a non-rasterizing mask setup. Like you have 10 tools with 10 shapes and only the currently viewed tool rasterizes. Would allow for transforms with no filtering losses and memory savings by not having multiple images in cache. Would also allow for tools like offset, signed distance, etc..
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

PixelMan

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 12:19 am

New to Fusion so there's a lot I don't know yet. I don't want to come in here and tell people way more experienced with this app "how it should be," but I do want to share a few things that I think will make Fusion adoption increase. Would love to see this app unseat After Effects given how slow that team has been to develop a new core to leverage modern hardware, and to update the layer-heavy workflow in substantial ways.

The main problem... having done a lot of work in AE and C4D, to me the #1 issue with this app is accessibility. And by that I mean the UI. I don't have a problem working with or learning to use new kinds of nodes, but the problem is that a lot of the functionality is obscured behind the iconography that is used in the toolbar. I get that there's a user base and ingrained user habits to consider here (again I don't want to be "that guy") but it goes against every HUI guideline I've ever seen to set up toolbar icons as letters and abbreviations rather than symbolic representations of the function in question. I get that it's very space-efficient and clean-looking, but it's also very cryptic. I did check UI preferences and layouts in Window menu but do not see an iconographic option. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. If not...

Suggestion 1: UI Improvements: build in an OPTIONAL workspace / layout type that includes true symbolic iconography for all of the toolbar nodes / functions. This will be a big deal for people coming from AE and 3D apps. It's what we're used to. :)

Other than that, the S1, S2, S3 mode of operating in the Tools tab is a little off-putting / visually non-descriptive, but all else seems pretty clean and nice UI-wise.

Suggestion 2: SDK / Plug-in Friendly: if it hasn't been done already supply an open SDK for developers like Red Giant, Video Copilot, and others, so that they can (if they choose) bring their top products to Fusion. I know there's a ton you can do in Nodes but sometimes people don't have time to learn the thousands of possible permutations to get the look they want. Make the switch from AE easy: work with top plugin devs to get the most important products into this space. IMHO this is the easiest way to make thousands of AE converts.If I could come to Fusion knowing that all or most of my skills with Trapcode suite or Stardust or VCP are not lost, it would make the transition a no-brainer.

No subscription BS and fair license pricing? check
Better performance / more frequent performance updates? check
Integration with Resolve? check
Minimize lost investment in terms of plugin skills lost? check

Suggestion 3: CUDA / CL / Metal everywhere: if it hasn't been done already GPU accelerate all effects where it makes sense programmatically, and give those three platforms parity so people don't end up with GPU purchasing decision headaches. I realize this one is easier said than done and not necessary in all cases.

Bryan Ray

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:36 am

PixelMan wrote:I get that there's a user base and ingrained user habits to consider here (again I don't want to be "that guy") but it goes against every HUI guideline I've ever seen to set up toolbar icons as letters and abbreviations rather than symbolic representations of the function in question. I get that it's very space-efficient and clean-looking, but it's also very cryptic.

I wouldn't mind seeing an option for icons, but to be honest, I generally find icons to be more cryptic. When PFTrack shifted to pictograms where they used to have text buttons, it slowed me down. I don't like having to squint at the screen and try to guess what the designers had in mind with two little rectangles and an arrow. Is that copy? Paste? Save? I don't know.

In any case, if you would like an iconic tool selection option, try opening the Bins. It takes up quite a lot of screen real estate, but you'll get icons and more descriptive tool names that will help you to learn the tools in your early days.

Suggestion 2: SDK / Plug-in Friendly: if it hasn't been done already supply an open SDK for developers like Red Giant, Video Copilot, and others, so that they can (if they choose) bring their top products to Fusion.

An SDK exists, although it's not advertised. And Fusion can run OFX plug-ins, provided they're compliant with the OFX spec. Many aren't—they have compromises built-in to make them work for the particular host apps they were tested for that causes them to not work so well elsewhere. And Fusion hasn't had enough market share in the past to motivate the plug-in vendors to code toward it. BUT, many do run. Neat Video, Re:Vision, Sapphire (if you're made of money), and Frischluft all run in Fusion. I'm sure others do, too, but those are the ones I can vouch for.

I don't see any point in porting Trapcode—Fusion can do pretty much everything TC can with its own tools.

In addition to compiled plug-in support, Fusion can also run scripted plug-ins called Fuses that are written in Lua and/or OpenCL. Motivated TDs can thus create their own tools to fill in any gaps they perceive. We hope that the recent launch of the Reactor package manager will prompt even more people to create and share new tools.

Suggestion 3: CUDA / CL / Metal everywhere: if it hasn't been done already GPU accelerate all effects where it makes sense programmatically, and give those three platforms parity so people don't end up with GPU purchasing decision headaches. I realize this one is easier said than done and not necessary in all cases.

Most of Fusion's tools have an OpenCL mode. The jury's still out on whether it actually does run faster. I haven't run my benchmarks on 9.0.2 yet. 9.0 was actually faster with OpenCL turned off for some reason.
Bryan Ray

PixelMan

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Fair points Bryan.

UI: I do get that iconography when not done well, is also cryptic and that some symbols would be easier to figure out than others (i.e. it's not a trivial request). But definitely I think it should be an optional thing. I wouldn't suggest removing the existing metaphor, only adding to it, in order to help bridge the familiarity gap. Sort of wearing my alpha- / beta-tester hat for this one, as much as the end-user hat. Just feels like the right thing to do.

Plugins: didn't know that about the OFX compliance compatibility thing. Honestly I'm not sure which of my favorite would be OFX compliant (probably not most), but it's worth Black Magic partnering with major plugin developers to make this happen in some cases. WRT Particular I had a feeling someone would say that and I don't doubt it. Really it's less about the power of specific nodes being able to perform some function or create a look (I'm sure given enough time the possibilities are pretty limitless) but more of a way to help new users get stuff done quickly when they don't have time to drill down into the large set of functions that are available through various FX nodes.

alan bovine

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

PixelMan wrote:
UI: I do get that iconography when not done well, is also cryptic and that some symbols would be easier to figure out than others (i.e. it's not a trivial request). But definitely I think it should be an optional thing. I wouldn't suggest removing the existing metaphor, only adding to it, in order to help bridge the familiarity gap. Sort of wearing my alpha- / beta-tester hat for this one, as much as the end-user hat. Just feels like the right thing to do.

On the viewer, have you tried right clicking on the icons ? You can set them to :

Icons only
Text only
Icons AND text

On tools that provide you with on screen controls (paint, gridwarp, tracker etc) you can also right click the icons and change them to text, icon or both.

Curious about icons and tools ? Open up the bin (ctrl+b) and see beautiful colored icons depicting the nodes functionality for each tool.

Don't like the bar at the top with the shortening of node names ? Right click and get rid of it and use the bins or right click menu or shift-space menu to add nodes instead.

I'm no ux expert; but AE's workflows and UX is something I wouldn't use as a reference when talking about Fusion; broadly speaking.

-aln
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

Chad Capeland

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 8:49 pm

It's also worth noting that the toolbars were always meant to be customized. Yeah, it ships with a default toolbar that used to be used to "announce" new tools, but now it's just there. Best case? Make your own. Second best case? Delete it, since in it's default form it's using too much real estate. But that explains why it is text instead of icons, if you make a custom glow setting or a macro for light wrapping or whatever, you want to put that in a toolbar according to your needs, but you don't want to necessarily make an icon for that. Would it be cool if you could store a bitmap alongside the item referenced in the toolbar and have it display that? I guess. I wouldn't use it, but maybe others might.

As for OFX compatibility, OFX is garbage. If I had to choose between BPD spending resources to get plugin developers making Fusion-specific OFX shims or spending resources to get plugin developers to use the SDK, I'd choose SDK. When Avid and Adobe start supporting OFX plugins, maybe my opinion would change, but right now, it's better to let OFX languish in favor of native support.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Adrian Niwa

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 9:23 pm

I have one request.
(or maybe there is a solution already but I don't know about it)

Typing values with 'coma' doesn't work. You have to use 'dot'.
Values like 1.37 will work
1,37 will not.

It annoyes me since I work a lot with numeric keypad, and there is coma there.

Also I'm working on multiple screens. Pretty often I can't use ctrl+spacebar to activate the tools menu. It just doesn't work.
In this case, I have to click somewhere on the main screen first and then I can use ctrl+spacebar.

Small bugs - lot's of annoyance...
Manjaro / ASROCK X399 Taichi / AMD Threadripper 1920X / RTX 2060 / 32GB RAM DDR-4 / 4 X SSD drive / Fusion Studio / Resolve Studio
www.inox.vision

PixelMan

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 9:48 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:It's also worth noting that the toolbars were always meant to be customized. Yeah, it ships with a default toolbar that used to be used to "announce" new tools, but now it's just there. Best case? Make your own. Second best case? Delete it, since in it's default form it's using too much real estate. But that explains why it is text instead of icons, if you make a custom glow setting or a macro for light wrapping or whatever, you want to put that in a toolbar according to your needs, but you don't want to necessarily make an icon for that. Would it be cool if you could store a bitmap alongside the item referenced in the toolbar and have it display that? I guess. I wouldn't use it, but maybe others might.

As for OFX compatibility, OFX is garbage. If I had to choose between BPD spending resources to get plugin developers making Fusion-specific OFX shims or spending resources to get plugin developers to use the SDK, I'd choose SDK. When Avid and Adobe start supporting OFX plugins, maybe my opinion would change, but right now, it's better to let OFX languish in favor of native support.

Interesting re toolbar customization / custom icons. Didn't know that but will look into it.

Re; OFX vs. SDK, didn't realize they were mutually exclusive but to me the only thing that matters is, can we get some of the top plugins in this environment and working reliably for version 10? How it gets done matters less than it getting done and it being stable.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 pm

PixelMan wrote:Re; OFX vs. SDK, didn't realize they were mutually exclusive but to me the only thing that matters is, can we get some of the top plugins in this environment and working reliably for version 10? How it gets done matters less than it getting done and it being stable.

The SDK is there, just have to ask for it. Send an email to Red Giant or whomever and tell them if they make a Fusion plugin you'll buy n copies. Blackmagic likely doesn't see a need to spend money to motivate other software companies to make money. Could they put a page up on the site with more information about the SDK availability? Probably would be a good idea.

EDIT: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/developer/
EDIT2: Uh... Come on guys...
Last edited by Chad Capeland on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

PixelMan

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm

[Edit - quoted wrong post, apologies...]

Alan:
Need clarification on toolbar customization and the right-click > Text and Icon, Text Only, Icon only thing. Is that Studio version only? The only option available in the version I have results in the Customize Toolbar dialog opening with a full list of all tools that can be added but no ability to chose text vs. icons or any other features. I can either leave the "common set" of text buttons intact or remove them and add a different combination of text buttons.

Checked UI prefs again to be sure I didn't miss an option here for icons. None found. v9.0.2 (free)
Will dig into the PDF manual, see if I can find something but suspect my issue here is the version I'm using. That or I'm misunderstanding something.

I DO see the icons for all the tools when looking at them via Bins > Tools on LocalHost... so it seems that iconography does exist for all of these things. I'm just not clear on whether or how that could be applied to any/all tools that are in the Toolbar. The search continues, but posting this comment in case others new to the app view this thread / have the same confusion.
Last edited by PixelMan on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan Ray

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 7:20 pm

That's only for the buttons in the Viewer, not the Toolbar.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (46.09 KiB) Viewed 17617 times
Bryan Ray

PixelMan

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:That's only for the buttons in the Viewer, not the Toolbar.

Thanks Bryan. We just posted at same time / I corrected myself on the quoting, elaborated a bit further but I see now what you guys are driving at from your screenshot.

So basically that iconographic option doesn't exist for the toolbar, you'd have to roll your own sounds like. Which I get this isn't a beginner's toolset but I do think it's further evidence that Black Magic needs to somehow leverage the tool bin iconography for the toolbar. Maybe hire a UX person on contract to do just that so it's not a drain on the regular development cycle.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Icons for the toolbar will only cost screen real estate and there are way more tools by default than there is space on the toolbar anyway. Biting the bullet and just learn the couple of abbreviations you actually need might probably your best bet.
Or if it is really, really, important to you: roll your own, create a custom Fusion UI especially for this purpose and share it on Reactor. All these options will be quicker than hoping that Fusion 10 will bring this to you in a magical way.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

PixelMan

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Wouldn't so much be done magically as the developer just deciding it's important and doing it one day down the road, but your point is taken. Learning this UI is going to be challenge. Other than the basic connection and parameter editing methods, nothing about this app is familiar when compared to Cycles or other nodal environments I've used.

Since it's out of scope for a FR thread, if anyone has recommendations beyond the manual (which is thorough but not a how-to style reference), a PM with your favored how-to Fusion web sites or tutorial sites is appreciated.

Marc Gasser

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 am

After a few months I love the simple UI of Fusion.
Recently had to work on a AE comp again (did AE for 7 years), and found that AE has way too much menus and windows and plugins and layers and precomps and timelines....

New usable UI feature I'd love to see:

- Thumbnail previews of loaders in timeline

@PixelMan:
I learned Fusion from his tutorials: https://www.patreon.com/Vito
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

Kel Philm

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Would love to see integration of the Resolve Panels into Fusion.

Colour nodes could use all the functionality of the panel but also this could be extended to transform/merge/etc.. nodes as well (the active tool). For example the first trackerball could be used for center, 2nd tracker for pivot, first ring for rotation, second ring for scale, 3rd ring could be for blend amount etc... maybe even allow custom mappings from the panels for each tools control?

Is there an SDK for the Resolve Panels?

Modyelmock

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 8:47 pm

Arabic text from right to left, connected letters support, would be great to include in fusion 10,
Thanks in advance

Ludvig Friberg

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Like Todd I would like a mask node with many masks. Also a better corner pin would be great.

RamiGh

PostSat Jun 02, 2018 12:10 am

I am an architect I do a lot of Compositing in photoshop usually I started using fusion lately and I think I am not going back to photoshop again. I really love the tools and the workflow so far but it frustrates me when I try to make something that works in my mind but reach a dead end in practice because a tool is not available or maybe it is there but I just coudn't find it.(please tell me if it is there)

-I would like to have access to some raytracing maybe not a full renderer but some features like sweet soft shadows/Area lights or raytraced AO
-actually it is not a bad Idea to implement a GI system (raytraced or not I don't care it just should look convincing) that can be computed once and saved as a Voxel Volume maybe to run in real time (If you do this one I think I will dump Vray not just Photoshop )
-Some texture creation tools are welcome like a tileable bitmap replicator and a grid based bitmap replicator and 2d Array system.
-PBR and a SSS material (SSS in Marmoset toolbag 3 is outstanding and real time you should check it out)
-some basic UV mapping tools
-Parallax-crrected cubemaps

some people are arguing that the tools can do everything but the user should be professional to get the best out of them or that fusion is for compositing and users are asking for unrelated stuff...well how I see it the easier the tools of a software are the more comfortable the users are and the more likely new users will like it and be serious about using it in production, not that I find fusion very hard but a lot of people do ,I would listen to them and try to achieve a more user friendly experience. furthermore it is true that the software is a compositing software but the definition of compositing is changing over the years and the stages of production are getting closer to each other I think with time the boarders will vanish and rendering and compositing are going to merge as a single stage because well it is only logical to do them together and the only thing stoping us from doing it is that raytracers are extremely slow but today we have great real time technologies that cover a lot of raytracers job so it is time to merge the tow stages....at least I think so. :)

Todd Groves

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 11:24 pm

You can only make a program only so user-friendly. When you want a powerful program, logic would tell you that there will most likely be a learning curve to picking up and utilizing the power.

You can't hold someone's hand every time they have difficulty creating a project or getting the effect(s) they desire. Sometimes you just have to work harder and learn more to get where you want to go.

When I read "wishlists" new users write for programs that are new to them, quite often they are asking for effects that are finalized by clicking one button or adding one tool. It becomes quite obvious that a lot of new users don't want to do much work, or make much of an effort, to achieve dramatic results.

If you want dramatic results, expect to put time into learning a program and understanding its tools to achieve those results. When you've put time into a project and you get results that make you happy, chances are you will look back and appreciate all the time you put into that project. And you will realize it was all worth that time and effort.

So, sit back. Watch some video tutorials. Experiment with the tools. Put time into designing and planning your project. Then throw on your seat belts and dive into the hard work that precedes all successful projects.

Shawn Astrom

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 2:42 am

Expanding on the VR tools. We need a 180 degree fisheye camera not just a spherical...

Nodes for converting all standard VR cormats from and too...

- Shawn

Abel Milanes

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 5:33 am

Support for Deep Compositing. Not the Deep Tools currently in Fusion, but support for deep sampling data both in EXRs and in the 3D Render node and other Native tool. Nuke is the best example (not perfect) of how this is implemented.

Michael Wolf

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Abel Milanes wrote:Support for Deep Compositing. Not the Deep Tools currently in Fusion, but support for deep sampling data both in EXRs and in the 3D Render node and other Native tool. Nuke is the best example (not perfect) of how this is implemented.

Would you be willing to pay extra for that functionality?

Asking for a friend... ;)

Cheers,
Mike
Michael Wolf - db&w GbR
http://www.db-w.com

Abel Milanes

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Michael Wolf wrote:
Abel Milanes wrote:Support for Deep Compositing. Not the Deep Tools currently in Fusion, but support for deep sampling data both in EXRs and in the 3D Render node and other Native tool. Nuke is the best example (not perfect) of how this is implemented.

Would you be willing to pay extra for that functionality?

Asking for a friend... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

This could definitely be part of Fusion Studio.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 1:41 pm

That's not really answering the question.
If you already have Fusion studio, you're done paying for it - if past BMD policies are an indication - so there's no more revenue to be had from existing users.

So the question is - I think - will you pay for the effort of 3rd parties who invest serious time (and thus money) into providing what you ask for? i.e. will you pay for plug-ins/custom macros/fuses/interesting set-ups?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Abel Milanes

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:

If you already have Fusion studio, you're done paying for it - if past BMD policies are an indication - so there's no more revenue to be had from existing users.

So the question is - I think - will you pay for the effort of 3rd parties who invest serious time (and thus money) into providing what you ask for? i.e. will you pay for plug-ins/custom macros/fuses/interesting set-ups?
I'm sure studios and freelancers that have adopted Fusion would allocate budgets for this if it's justified. Deep composting is a huge - render - time saver in many cases. I use Nuke and can say that without deeps I wouldn't been able to get some complex shots done in the time I did.

Todd Groves

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 2:26 pm

I personally wouldn't mind paying for 3rd party plugins and Fuse tools. Especially if they can be used in Fusion inside Resolve.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 2:34 pm

But would *you* pay for it? I'm not asking about hypothetical studios/budget allocations. I am asking you. 8-)

Abel Milanes wrote:
Sander de Regt wrote:

I'm sure studios and freelancers that have adopted Fusion would allocate budgets for this if it's justified. Deep composting is a huge - render - time saver in many cases. I use Nuke and can say that without deeps I wouldn't been able to get some complex shots done in the time I did.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Abel Milanes

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Are you making a private sell?
I “personally" don't have a need for it. My post is just a suggestion to improve/expand Fusion's tools set... Which I think it would widen the scope of compositors more seriously considering the software.

But you can talk to Todd

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Building business cases helps. We hit that wall with Krakatoa and OpenVDB and Octane. Fusion was an ideal host application to the tools, but we couldn't figure out how to make it financially viable.

And no, having 50,000+ Resolve licenses doesn't help that much because most Resolve Studio users aren't going to use Krakatoa, Octane, OpenVDB, or Deep Images.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
PreviousNext

Return to Fusion