Church starting from scratch

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DennyJ

Church starting from scratch

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:54 pm

I was recently put in charge of A/V at my church not because of recent skills, but because of people management skills. Being a good manager, I asked for a financial report and discovered that I have just over $10k U.S. to work with. I want to start from scratch, as all of the current equipment is 20+ years old and dying.

I would like to have 3-4 remote PTZ cameras that can handle a fair range of lighting and zoom. We are in the process of installing a low latency Behringer X32 sound system that is networked and remote controllable. I am installing the network (no homeowner stuff) and would love to be able to control both from front of house via laptop, instead of the A/V booth in the balcony. We want to live stream and are also considering a camera in a remote classroom that would be prior to the main service. I don't know where to start, as Grass Valley Group was fairly new on the scene when I was last involved in video work.

Can I do it in this budget range? Your suggestions and recommendations will be welcomed!

Denny Smith

Re: Church starting from scratch

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Also check out BM’s new Live Production equipment setup, including the new Ursa Mini Broadcast camers, using a similar sensor to the Micro Studio Camera, ATEM Control Panel, Camera CCU controllers and fiber cable setups. This is the route I would go in a Live Production remake.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

NikolayK

Re: Church starting from scratch

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 3:14 pm

We currently use two (soon to be three) cameras from PTZOptics. They're not the greatest of camera's (1/2.7" sensors), but they have a butt load of options, are easy enough to manage, and are only $1700 per camera. Here is the datasheet on them:

https:// ptzoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PT20X-SDI-xx-G2-Data-Sheet-v1_3-rev-9-17.pdf

If you want to see what the stream we run looks like, you can find Live/Previous streams here (Note: Crappy internet, hopefully soon to be upgraded, we're only able to upload at 1Mpbs. I'm frankly surprised at the video quality we get as is at that upload speed!):

https:// youtube.com/channel/UCkC9tYT4Qovh54A_zYI3FLg/live

We currently have an ATEM 1 M/E 4k, so we have had to use these to convert the SDI signal properly:

https:// amazon.com/gp/product/B00QPRGGCS

I believe the newer ATEM Television Studio HD is supposed to have better compatibility with video signals that don't 100% match the expected signal (something the older ATEM's are notorious for requiring, hence the converters above), but it has no "Program" HDMI out (something we require at our church for some of the various TV's strewn about the church).

Return to Live Production