Looking for original solution for powering BMPC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

marcellomazzilli

Looking for original solution for powering BMPC

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 am

HI, I have a BMPC 4K that I like quite much.
Unfortunately to use it properly I need to set up a rig (15mm rods, amount, battery, monitor, etc...). I am trying to find a solution for jobs that require a lighter setup. I will still setup a mini rig (with follow focus) and I will try to avoid putting a monitor.... but most of all... I am looking for a solution to replace mount + battery. When I do this now I need to have a small bag on my shoulder with amount and battery and a cable from the bag to the camera... Can somebody suggest a more portable and light solution. I am willing to switch batteries more often obviously.
Marcello Mazzilli

Anatoly Mashanov

Re: Looking for original solution for powering BMPC

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 1:59 am

I was expecting that somebody would answer before me but nobody did. I think that the camera, cable and battery in a bag is the lightest possible configuration, but not the easiest to operate.

You could save a pair of grams by attaching the battery below the camera but since you keep the camera in hands it would be more difficult to operate and the image would be shaky.

The easiest construction would be some shoulder mount, the external viewfinder so that you can view while the camera rests on your shoulder and the same battery in the same bag (or on the back side of the shoulder mount to counterweight the camera).

marcellomazzilli

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 12:17 pm

After I wrote the message I did some researches
I found this on Amazon... https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01FYV ... UTF8&psc=1
Going to test it.
I also ordered a handle with nato rail (I will mount it backwards because the center of the weight is about where the lenses and the camera join). If needed (don't really) the handle has ways of adapting a light and/or a microphone on it too.
Finally I will get a minibaseplate (my Lamparte's one is too big) with 20cm rods that will let me hold the follow focus and, only if I really need it, a matte box.
I will hold the camera like I used to hold my Canon 5d MII with the right hand almost under the camera (or in this case the rig). I might use the neck brace to help hold the weight
Marcello Mazzilli

Nick Gombinsky

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Sony BP-U batteries are, at least for me, the best battery solution for the BMPC. I used to have a V-Mount plate at the back and changed it to a BP-U plate screwed at the top plate of my cage next to the top handle. It is lightweight and overall cheap (although not as cheap as some other DIY stuff)

marcellomazzilli

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 12:54 pm

I have many Sony batteries lying around.. I am a bit skeptic of up-volting from 7.4 to 12... but they say it works.. let's see
M
Marcello Mazzilli

Tommaso Alvisi

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:02 pm

BP-Us are native 4s batteries so 14,4V based

Return to Cinematography