ATEM camera control panel?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kevin Norris

ATEM camera control panel?

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 7:07 am

Can this panel be used with the Ursa Broadcast camera without connecting through an ATEM switcher?
Broadcast Engineering
HDR | Sports | Entertainment

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM camera control panel?

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 am

Probably not, as it is an ATEM control panel, like,the switcher control panel. Both connect to the system via a network connector, with the computer software as the hub.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am

Kim Janson wrote:It would be very nice to have some connection drawings that explain what units work together and what kind of features they provide.

I am sure there is many like me, very confused what unit does what and works with what other units and what are the best units to use in certain case.

BMD please provide descriptions of different (typical) example cases and explain why it is good to use those units on that case. I am sure this would increase your sales greatly.

this should answer your questions. the camera control panel is a control surface, that talks the atem control protocol. it thus talk to the atem switcher, and is used to set and display the current settings for each camera that is managed by said switcher
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s#W-ABP-04

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Kim Janson wrote:I already received information that "The v7.0 release for the ATEM has support for basic PTZ output in the SDI protocol for pan and tilt." but that still leaves the question what units support that, is there SW joystick, what HW joystick options is there etc.

considering the smpte fiber converters have a ptz port, they probably do support this

Julien Cadilhac

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Hello, do you think that in the end, the LCDs above each slice can be used for video monitoring? For the moment, I did not understand what it's good for except to display Camera 1, 2 etc ... ??

DanielDroege

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Julien Cadilhac wrote:Hello, do you think that in the end, the LCDs above each slice can be used for video monitoring? For the moment, I did not understand what it's good for except to display Camera 1, 2 etc ... ??

Would be nice but I don't think so. You would need some SDI Inputs on the back of the device but there are power and ethernet only. :(

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:43 pm

DanielDroege wrote:
Julien Cadilhac wrote:Hello, do you think that in the end, the LCDs above each slice can be used for video monitoring? For the moment, I did not understand what it's good for except to display Camera 1, 2 etc ... ??

Would be nice but I don't think so. You would need some SDI Inputs on the back of the device but there are power and ethernet only. :(

suppose they could send small videos across the ethernet, I don't know how much extra space is available in the mixer FPGAs to do that (they could potentially reuse the scaler that is in the multiview)
as for the panel, I'm not sure how much processing power there's available, also, no clue about the video interface between the panel's processor and the lcds

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:56 pm

I am with you Kim, a nice block diagram showing the various accessory connections to ATEM and cameras, etc., like Sony used to do for their broadcast cameras showing the interconnection between the various bits.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Cool feature that would be.. BUT.. what is the added worth? These are so small that you won't have a good clear view of what you are doing. And they will use the screen for more menu functions in the future as there are 4 buttons above and 4 rotaries under the LCD"s..

Also to have a good reference if your shading is on track with all other cameras you want to see those sources together.. So have a multiviewer in front of you gives a more clear picture if you are right.
Also you want a good calibrated reference monitor in front of you to have a accurate color representation.. Forget about that with those small lcd's..

But maybe S Vreuls should chip in here.. He is shader for living. He knows all about it. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ridley Combs

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 3:22 am

The CCUs have ethernet ports on them as well, so I'm hoping they'll support connecting to the panel via LAN, rather than requiring the data to be injected in the return SDI feed by an ATEM switcher.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 3:44 pm

The ethernet is only for ethernet in a future update.. So if you have anything that runs on ethernet on your camera tripod or want to use GreenGo intercom instead of bmd intercom you are able too.. ;)
But the connection will be point 2 point network..

The protocol will always be embedded in the SDI to be compatible with the BMD hardware.

But hey.. If you want to use Fiber and Ursa's and Ursa shading panel?? And not use a Atem for switching??

Why not add a TVS HD for your shading connection.. They are not that expensive anymore guys.. ;)
But remember you will also need some other way to insert tally from your other mixer.. So a sdi shield is needed to add tally.. And some other issues might arise too... So why not go the whole BMD way.. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production