Deckling HD Extreme and High Sierra

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

soundcontrol

Deckling HD Extreme and High Sierra

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 pm

I use a Decklink HD Extreme 3D card in a MacPro 5.1 running El Capitain, works great, use it to output video to my projector for movie mixing in Pro Tools. Starting a mix next week. Now I need to upgrade to High Sierra, just wondering if there is any issues with the Black Magic card for this? I will reformat and do a clean install of everything, and download the latest drivers etc.

thanks,
Ken Skoglund

Xtreemtec

Re: Deckling HD Extreme and High Sierra

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm

There are issues with high sierra and drivers for the decklink devices.

Read this topic for several solutions.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64943&p=382368&hilit=sierra#p373391
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

soundcontrol

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks! Lot of good info there, I wrote support with no luck (my 5.1 MacPro is legacy.....)
I had many of issues with Pro Tools PCI card drivers and High Sierra, (on other computers) so I'm expecting problems with the Decklink also. Seems to be High Sierras new System Integrity Protection that screws up installations.

soundcontrol

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 3:32 pm

OK, I upgraded to High Sierra, and installed the latest Desktop video. First attempt did not install the driver, I got no message that I needed to approve installation (except for my system password). Second time, I went to Security and Privacy settings before I restarted, there was a message if I wanted to approve Blackmagic to install the driver, clicked OK, and it works fine!
That message is hidden deep in the system prefs, and Desktop video should really display it on installation, nothing in the manual either on installation.

You can also see if the driver has been installed or not in the About my Mac-System report-PCI-then click the card and it will say Yes or No on Driver Installed.

When I mailed Support about it they basiclly said they don't support legacy hardware, and told me to ask in the forums... of course they know of this issue, how hard can it be to be helpful... :(

Return to Post Production