Glidecam/Steadicam w/ URSA Mini Pro?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Glidecam/Steadicam w/ URSA Mini Pro?

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering what are people's experiences using the URSA Mini pro or any camera of a comparable weight and size? My main concern is the weight so I am going to get a forearm brace as I cannot afford the full support vest. Does anyone have experience using the forearm brace with the Glidecam 4000 or any other glidecam/steady cam and what have you been your experieces with it?

Many thanks,
James

Rakesh Malik

Re: Glidecam/Steadicam w/ URSA Mini Pro?

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 pm

You'll want a vest before long, especially with a Steadicam type setup, since they're counterweighted. You'll end up with 10-15 pounds all told, which is find for short stints, but it will start getting wobbly after a few minutes.

That said, people fly Alexas on steadicams, so weight isn't going to be a problem just for getting a steadicam balanced.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

James McDonagh

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:You'll want a vest before long, especially with a Steadicam type setup, since they're counterweighted. You'll end up with 10-15 pounds all told, which is find for short stints, but it will start getting wobbly after a few minutes.

That said, people fly Alexas on steadicams, so weight isn't going to be a problem just for getting a steadicam balanced.

Do you think the forearm brace will help?

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 pm

James McDonagh wrote:Do you think the forearm brace will help?

I haven't tried one, so I don't really know. It might help to take some of the strain off of your forearm, but in the long run you're going to want to only fly a Micro camera or get a vest with an isoelastic arm to isolate the system from your own body movements as you walk.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

James McDonagh

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
James McDonagh wrote:Do you think the forearm brace will help?

I haven't tried one, so I don't really know. It might help to take some of the strain off of your forearm, but in the long run you're going to want to only fly a Micro camera or get a vest with an isoelastic arm to isolate the system from your own body movements as you walk.

Ah I see thank you for the reply. Is there any third party isoelastic arm that is cheaper than glidecam's official compatible vests that works with the URSA Mini pro that you would recommend?

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 pm

James McDonagh wrote:Ah I see thank you for the reply. Is there any third party isoelastic arm that is cheaper than glidecam's official compatible vests that works with the URSA Mini pro that you would recommend?

The only one I can think of is ProAim. They're supposedly at least decent, do the job but don't last as long as a professional solution would. What I know even less about is their compatibility with Glidecam gear.

A ProAim steadicam + vest solution might be a good starter combo though.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Chris Tempel

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 5:19 pm

My review of the Glidecam with Cowboy Studio Vest and double arm
Flying an Ursa Mini

Return to Cinematography