Are Recently Received BMCC's Good Quality?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

PhilCaine

Are Recently Received BMCC's Good Quality?

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Please comment about the quality of your recently received BMCC's. When did you receive your camera? Where are you located? What uses/tests have you made of it? Is there something you would like to tell us about it?
Phillip Caine

JasonGlucksman

Re: Are Recently Received BMCC's Good Quality?

PostTue Mar 19, 2013 11:00 pm

I received my camera with a nice big black splotch that shows up on the LCD and on my footage. It's sent back to blackmagic. They told me the expected wait is at least 15 business days, plus the time to ship. They also expected me to pay for shipping, but they eventually relented and sent me pre-paid fed ex labels. I hope my case is an anomaly and quality control is strong.

Eric Mc Guire

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 1:11 am

Mine's perfect and I'm really happy with it. I received it last week.

Marcel Beck

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Mines working like a charm!
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Tom Sefton

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Received ours in the 1st week of December.

No problems apart from the generic "black hole sun" issue, which will be sorted via firmware I believe.
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 6:04 pm

JasonGlucksman wrote:I received my camera with a nice big black splotch that shows up on the LCD and on my footage. It's sent back to blackmagic. They told me the expected wait is at least 15 business days, plus the time to ship. They also expected me to pay for shipping, but they eventually relented and sent me pre-paid fed ex labels. I hope my case is an anomaly and quality control is strong.

A camera received not in good working condition is certainly not your responsibility in terms of any related costs to repair! Sure you may sign for the original shipment but that only means you do not suspect physical damage from shipping. Hopefully BMD noticed your post and will ensure all their customer service warranty reps are well informed. If I'm wrong and that's their stated and documented warranty policy... Could you check your warranty statement for us to see if it makes any reference to shipping costs? Thanks.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Tobias Castorph

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 6:07 pm

our camera shipped 3 weeks ago. no problems at all.
MIDDLEEASTMAMBO
PRODUCTION & STUDIOS
Petersburger Str. 73
10249 Berlin

info@middleeastmambo.com

Tobias Castorph /CEO / Cinematographer

kassim

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 6:17 pm

shipped a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues what so ever.
Kassim Norris

JasonGlucksman

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 8:20 pm

A camera received not in good working condition is certainly not your responsibility in terms of any related costs to repair! Sure you may sign for the original shipment but that only means you do not suspect physical damage from shipping. Hopefully BMD noticed your post and will ensure all their customer service warranty reps are well informed. If I'm wrong and that's their stated and documented warranty policy... Could you check your warranty statement for us to see if it makes any reference to shipping costs? Thanks.

I sent everything in, so I don't have any documents or anything warranty related. What I do know is that you do not punish the customer by requiring them to pay shipping and insurance for a product that arrives defective. Again, it seems like most cameras are arriving fully functioning, but if yours doesn't -- politely refuse to pay for shipping. There are reasonable people working at support -- they'll eventually do the right thing.

Trevr Merchant

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Received ours friday.
It is working great.

The one thing I have been testing is the "expose to the right" recommendation from JB and PB.

I have done a thorough test with it today and from what I have gathered, if you prefer to use an incident meter, you will want to overexpose (according to your meter reading) by at least 1 stop.

Two stops is better. 4 stops is ok but you will definitely lose some detail.

This camera is wonderful with highlights but you DO NOT want to underexpose at all.

ALSO:
Using ISO 400 seems to lose a stop of DR in the highlights and ISO 200 you lose about 2 stops.

BUT those ISOs are cleaner in terms of noise. Also at ISOs 800 and 1600 the noise is banded.

Wolf Schiebel

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 6:01 am

Ours is working great so far, also.

No flange issues so far, yesterday doing some tests at a rental company in cologne, can confirm the dynamic range of 13.2 f-stops.

First flight test tomorrow :?

Regards, Wolf

Marcel Beck

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 am

Wolf_CFX wrote:Ours is working great so far, also.

No flange issues so far, yesterday doing some tests at a rental company in cologne, can confirm the dynamic range of 13.2 f-stops.

First flight test tomorrow :?

Regards, Wolf

Do I smell a helicam? Hehe
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Return to Cinematography