computing power needed to live-blend 8 feeds?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Naren Wilks

computing power needed to live-blend 8 feeds?

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi all, I'm building an interactive artwork which will live-blend 8 feeds from 8 HD-SDI cameras, through a Decklink Quad 2, and Resolume. I would like to use 1080p 50. I'm a bit stuck because I don't know how fast a computer I will need to build for it. The artwork will run for 8 hours at a time. The info I have so far, is that an 8-Core processor would be good (one core per feed), and an 8GB Graphics card, a GTX 1070, and about 32GB RAM. Do you think this will be enough? Outputting to two monitors. Thank you! Any help much appreciated

Howard Roll

Re: computing power needed to live-blend 8 feeds?

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 7:07 pm

I think it largely depends on how many of the video inputs you have live at any given moment. We were Running Resolume with 6 outputs and 2 CH of video input an the system was pretty delayed but not glitchy or dropping frames. I can't remember the specs exactly, they were relatively mundane, but I do remember it was running a 1080. A simple cheat in this scenario is to run the video feeds into a quad split like a Decimator before capture, you'll halve the resolution but lighten the load on the machine considerably.

I'm sure there is a Resolume forum out there that can give you a much better idea of exactly what kind of machine you'd need you run this.

Good Luck

Naren Wilks

Re: computing power needed to live-blend 8 feeds?

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 am

Thanks Howard, yeah I want all 8 feeds coming in at the same time, and blend them all together using the 'opacity lighten' blend mode in Resolume, which uses the GPU (CUDA) for processing. I'm not too bothered about latency, I just need it run reliably.

Return to Live Production