DRP file format description (or else?)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Remy Ruttner

DRP file format description (or else?)

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Hey,

I'm developping an application to catalog clips, and I'd like to export a selection of clips to Resolve to make the editing.
All I need is to have a simple project with a default bin containing a selection of videos, and eventually a single timeline with clips dropped one next to another.
Is there a description/documentation/specifiation of .drp files used in Davinci Resolve so that I can generate one from scratch ? I googled it but found nothing.
Is there another format that I could/should use ? AAF, FCPXML ... ?

Thanks,

Remy.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: DRP file format description (or else?)

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 am

Hi, we don't provide documentation for our .drp and much of the detail is hidden.

That said, it sounds like you can generate an XML that we import on our edit page that would populate the media pool and the timeline. You can review the XML from other editors as well as Resolves export to see the XML formats we support. There are a few.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Remy Ruttner

Re: DRP file format description (or else?)

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Hey,

Thanks for your reply, in the meantime I went with fcpxml, which works well for most videos I have. Unfortunately for certain clips from Sony camera in XAV-C 4K format I have a problem :
In the ressources tag when declaring the asset there is a start atribute that need to be set to a precise value for the clip to be imported by resolve (ommiting or setting start="0s" won't work for these files and will raise an import message saying it can't find the files (?!)).

I'm struggling with this and can't find any solution : when I export a simple timeline with these files from resolve (as fcpxml) I can see Resolve set the attribute to a precise value but can't get the rule behind it even with several different files as examples.

example :
Code: Select all
    <resources>
        <format name="FFVideoFormat3840x2160p2398" height="2160" width="3840" frameDuration="1001/24000s" id="r1"/>
        <asset hasVideo="1" audioChannels="2" name="04062017-C0001.MP4" audioSources="1" duration="21021/2000s" src="file://localhost/F:/Rushs/2017/04062017-C0001.MP4" hasAudio="1" start="9009/500s" id="r2" format="r1"/>

I can't find out where the start="9009/500s" value is coming from.

I don't know if this is in Resolve scope or not - as I didn't try to import the project in final cut pro or any other editing software - but if anyone has any idea how this value is calculated it would be very apreciated.

Thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve