Broken Menu Knob

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JoeVoorhees

Broken Menu Knob

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Hey Everyone,

I just purchased 3 Ursa Mini Pros - right out of the box all 3 had broken menu knobs (left side of body near ND filters). The hardware knob/button combo appears to be ok but the plastic is cracked right down the middle. Anybody else have that issue? With 3 of them doing it I wonder if there is a problem with the die at the factory.

I'm waiting for B&H to get back to me to see if I have to ship the cameras back or if they will just send me 3 knobs. I really don't feel like taking the B4 mount and V-Mount plate off to send them back...

Denny Smith

Re: Broken Menu Knob

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 am

Contact BM Support directly, and you might just get the knobs. Bad luck, sounds like a bad packing job in shipment, or the cameras go a hard knock in shipment.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JoeVoorhees

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 am

Thanks Denny, I called BM initially and they recommended I call B&H for "faster service". I told the rep I just wanted a replacement knob (I had only opened one at that point) and said he would send me an email and I had to reply with a picture of the broken knob. I have yet to get an email and have since found the other 2 are broken as well so I gave B&H a call. Still waiting on their decision.

Boxes were in good shape, I really hope that wasn't a hit in shipping... that would be super hard to crack the plastic. What's the camera equivalent to a concussion?

Denny Smith

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 6:26 am

I do not know Joe, the only other possibility is the knobs were broken when the go out on, or the camera dropped before being packed and shipped. I would close for any other damage, and give the camera’s a good testing to make sure they are working correctly.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 am

Contact one of our support offices they should be able to send you out a replacement.

Andy Coulthurst

PostSun Jul 08, 2018 8:38 am

Same here - about to head out for a shoot and the menu button is cracked across the middle.
Seems the plastic is a little to tight for the shaft.

May see if I can find a low profile metal one.

Vess Stoytchev

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 am

Mine split in half. I just glued it back together and put a drop of glue in the hole before placing it back on the metal knob. Works without the plastic also.

singinkang

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:20 pm

I also received mine with a split menu knob, also just glued it back together.

Return to Cinematography