Alternative Recording Media

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mark Day

Alternative Recording Media

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 6:27 pm

I don't suppose there is any way to record with my BMCC onto something other than the CFast cards, is there? Right now, I don't really want to spend $200.00 on one of those. My old Canon XL-1 could be connected to the Atomos and bypass the MiniDV tape.
Thanks.
"Never mistake education for intelligence".

Andrew Martin

Re: Alternative Recording Media

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 pm

You'll have to research it but I've seen a few designs here on the forum in the off topic section
Of external CF to sata converters that allow you to use sata hard drives attached to the CF card slots via ribbon cables.

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 5:54 am

You lust yiur Camera as a BMCC, which is the original BM Cinema Camera, which uses SSD drives, not CFast cards. You can record ProRes to an external recorder, but clean output is PsF, so the recorder will need to be able to convert it back to progressive. Raw recording is to the camera’s SSD only.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mark Day

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm

OK, my camera is the Cinema Camera (BMCC). Not an URSA, Pocket, Studio, Micro or any of those. So, it uses SSD cards and NOT CFast cards? Is this correct?
Thanks
"Never mistake education for intelligence".

Return to Getting Started