Still can't have alpha with compound clips?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Griswold

Still can't have alpha with compound clips?

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:02 pm

I just want to be sure this is correct. I've searched everywhere and found the request (dating back at least 3 years) and folks from Blackmagic claiming it would be added very "soon", but as far as I can tell there still is no way to maintain an alpha channel when you create a compound clip (or embedded timelines). Correct?

I was considering dumping Adobe and moving to Blackmagic, but for the kind of projects I work on, having the ability to create compound clips that retain their alpha channel is absolutely critical.

The most recent discussion on this topic I could fine was this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=55634

Premiere and AE both handle this the way you'd expect. I really want to make the leap, but adding extra steps to deal with alphas is just too much of a stumbling block for me to dump Adobe.

-Paul

Return to DaVinci Resolve