Resolve 14.3 crashes after mins of use, saved changes lost

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Avai d'Amico

Resolve 14.3 crashes after mins of use, saved changes lost

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 pm

I was perfectly happy running Resolve 14 on 6 year old hardware...until my motherboard died. Which meant I also needed to replace my processor and RAM because mine aren't compatible with new boards. That much new gear probably requires a clean Windows installation to avoid driver conflicts...so I reformatted and repartitioned my SSD, installed Windows 10, installed mobo drivers, updated Windows 10, installed the latest GeForce driver, and installed Resolve 14.3.0.014.

Resolve launches and is usable for a couple minutes at a time, but it's not stable. I get "DaVinci Resolve has stopped working" and then the program closes. Task Manager looks fine the entire time - CPU, RAM, and GPU all stay well below 20% the entire time.

Opening Resolve takes 7 seconds, which is about the same speed as with my previous hardware. Once I've got my project open, I can click around the timeline, make cuts, move clips around on the timeline (sometimes clicking and dragging, often cutting and pasting), and I can hit spacebar to play both audio and video.

Resolve is the only thing running usually, but sometimes Google Chrome is on my second monitor.

Here is my current system.

Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1709, build 16299.192
Resolve 14.3.0.014
Nvidia GTX 670, 2 GB GDDR5, Kepler 3.0 CUDA architecture, driver GeForce 390.77 dated Jan 2018
Intel i5-8600K
32 GB DDR4 3000 MHz (2x 16 GB)
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming Wifi mobo

I previously used same graphics card, but with an Intel i5-3570K processor and only 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (2x 4 GB) on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, and had zero complaints with Resolve. It worked smoothly during editing, playback, and I just didn't touch the computer while it was rendering.

After the last crash, I launched Resolve again, noticed my latest changes were not saved even though I habitually press Ctrl+S every 60 seconds, and used the Help menu to make a log zip on my desktop.

Would someone please let me know if they've had similar problems, or if they can see anything in the log that might explain what's going on? I searched the forum (which is how I found out about the logs), and I tried looking at the logs myself, but I don't really understand what I'm reading.

Thanks so much for your guidance!
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20180207-161802.zip
(122 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Check out my latest movie trailer at https://vimeo.com/604815259

Avai d'Amico

Re: Resolve 14.3 crashes after mins of use, saved changes lo

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 12:02 am

Here's another log. This time I moved a clip, changed the speed with ripple timeline, then moved it back into place, then moved a clip from somewhere else in the timeline to snug up against it, and "DaVinci Resolve has stopped working." Launched again to make a new log zip from the Help menu.

I won't keep posting new logs each time, but I'm going to keep working on this project one minute at a time until it's done. It's so close!
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20180207-165945.zip
(136.4 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 3:22 am

If you set GPU mode to OpenCL in Resolve Preferences does it behave better?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Avai d'Amico

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If you set GPU mode to OpenCL in Resolve Preferences does it behave better?

Wow; yes! I think that solved the problem. Thank you so much for your help!

Avai d'Amico

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Using OpenCL definitely allows me to get more work done in between crashes, but the crashes persist. This latest time I was on the Color tab, I accidentally added an Alt+P node, so I did Ctrl+Z undo, and then Alt+C to add the type of node I meant to add. Then I tried to click and drag the power window to place it where I wanted it, but as soon as I clicked I got "DaVinci Resolve has stopped working."

New log zip attached.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20180208-095419.zip
(187.05 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Donnell Henry

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 6:44 pm

I'm getting crashes after changing my prefs to load last open project.. now it will load and crash.. I can't even open resolve anymore. I just uninstalled it and re- installed it. Still happening. Also sorry to hijack the thread but i posted about my audio issues cutting in and out when rendering from resolve along with capture logs on my post " Audio issues persist in resolve 14.3" I'm stilll waiting on a response from BM

CAPTURE LOGS :https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbf7jxyf7630qru/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20180208-141415.zip?dl=0
GODS CREATE

Avai d'Amico

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 12:57 am

I've got an update for my latest crashing. Switching from CUDA to OpenCL definitely fixed my almost immediate crashing. I noticed that my mouse and keyboard started to get laggy over time before the other Resolve crashes. Task manager showed "System.exe" would slowly suck up more and more CPU as time went on, until eventually Resolve crashed.

I downloaded Process Monitor and had that running while working with Resolve. I noticed that pretty regularly, Process Monitor would show the Intel Rapid Storage Tray Icon process going nuts. I tried to launch the Intel Rapid Storage application to see if it had any settings, but when launching it I got an error saying its driver was corrupt or could not be found. I downloaded the latest Intel Rapid Storage driver, rebooted, and have now been working in Resolve for about an hour with no laggy inputs and no "Resolve has stopped working."

So it looks like I had two issues. CUDA to OpenCL, and a bad Intel Rapid Storage driver driving my "System.exe" process crazy over time!

For Donnell's thing, I tried looking to see if there was a way to reset all of Resolve's preferences, but I wasn't able to come up with a solution outside of launching Resolve (which he can't do) and then opening Preferences. I'm surprised reinstalling doesn't reset Preferences.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 am

@Donnell: It looks like there could be an issue with this project:

TRI-AXIS OFFICE SCENE

And with reload last working project enabled, it crashes when you launch Resolve.

That said, it looks like the very last time you launched Resolve, this project was loaded and it didn't crash, as it shows this project was saved 3 separate times over a 3 minute period.

So I'm not sure.

In Finder, copy the file at the link below to the /Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder. That will turn reload last working project off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvr1o3852c45v ... r.xml?dl=0
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Donnell Henry

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Thank you Dwaine appreciate the response. I’ll follow your instructions ..anything yet on the audio issue?
GODS CREATE

Derry Etkins

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 4:40 pm

I've been getting "disappearances". POOF!!

Someone "threw it at me", that my system "can't handle" Resolve. I've been looking for clear system requirements to no avail. My signature has the details of my system; the system that Resolve 12 worked on.

V 14 disappears after ten minutes. V 12 disappears when i click the "Log In" button.

Comments, anyone, on my system's ability to "handle" Resolve?

Thanx!
Derrkins
GuyBarTola
PT 12.8; Studio One;.... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active)
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Sorry, but a Mac Mini is definitely not up to it.

And BM has a very detailed hardware configuration guide, just check it: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Derry Etkins

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 am

Uli Plank wrote:Sorry, but a Mac Mini is definitely not up to it.

And BM has a very detailed hardware configuration guide, just check it: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... and-fusion

Hmm

So, I guess I was lucky with V12. Just for clarity, this wasn't the Studio version,. just the ordinary learners' version.

I'll check the link you shared.

Thanx!
Derrkins
GuyBarTola
PT 12.8; Studio One;.... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active)
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!

Return to DaVinci Resolve