Decklink HDMI Audio Channel Order

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Justin Lutsky

Decklink HDMI Audio Channel Order

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Any feedback on this particular issue would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Using Decklink Studio 4k
-Tested using both Avid and Resolve
-Using source media with 6 channels of audio in SMPTE order (L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs)
-6 track timelines configured in both software for direct 6 channel output
-Connected the Decklink HDMI out to 2 different home theater receivers
-Configured the receivers for PCM audio

In all scenarios, both in Avid and Resolve, connected to either receiver….

CH 3 gets routed to the Sub and CH 4 gets routed to Center. This appears to be reversed. Is this correct? Is there a way to get the Decklink HDMI audio out routed as follows in SMPTE order:

CH1 – L
CH2 – R
CH3 – C
CH4 – Lfe
CH5 – Ls
CH6 - Rs

Also, I connected the SDI out of the Decklink to an AJA HI5 SDI-to-HDMI converter, then connected the HDMI out from the converter to each receiver and the audio channel order was correct: L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs.

Jan Heugel

Re: Decklink HDMI Audio Channel Order

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 12:51 pm

+1 on this question.

I also want to connect a AV Receiver to the 12G SDI Out (via Teranex Mini 12G to HDMI) of our Resolve...
Who can elaborate on the channel routing or any recommendations?

Cheers,
Jan

zachnfine

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 12:34 am

Bump bump bump.

This is a problem for those of us using Blackmagic hardware and Avid Media Composer, trying to run 5.1 to a home audio receiver for monitoring (hey, I've got a very good receiver and sub, would rather calibrate and use that than fill the room with a bunch of monitors on stands).

For what it's worth, one can reorder the outputs in Davinci Resolve and then cut 5.1, but users of other applications are SOL.

Blackmagic, please put an audio channel order setting in the BlackMagic Control panel. That's gotta be less than a half-day of developer time, and it'd catch you up to the competitor (AJA) whose HDMI outputs use the proper channel order.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 am

Justin Lutsky wrote:Any feedback on this particular issue would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Using Decklink Studio 4k
-Tested using both Avid and Resolve
-Using source media with 6 channels of audio in SMPTE order (L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs)
-6 track timelines configured in both software for direct 6 channel output
-Connected the Decklink HDMI out to 2 different home theater receivers
-Configured the receivers for PCM audio

In all scenarios, both in Avid and Resolve, connected to either receiver….

CH 3 gets routed to the Sub and CH 4 gets routed to Center. This appears to be reversed. Is this correct? Is there a way to get the Decklink HDMI audio out routed as follows in SMPTE order:

CH1 – L
CH2 – R
CH3 – C
CH4 – Lfe
CH5 – Ls
CH6 - Rs

Also, I connected the SDI out of the Decklink to an AJA HI5 SDI-to-HDMI converter, then connected the HDMI out from the converter to each receiver and the audio channel order was correct: L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs.

I'm not that sure if HDMI uses SMPTE standard.
I use to work with GrassValley card which had nice panel with information about how HDMI receiver going to route channels and depending on the receiver order was changing.

Return to Post Production