Question for Freelancers regarding 4K

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Question for Freelancers regarding 4K

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm facing a bit of a dilemma when it comes to advertising my services when it comes to 4K. My main concern is that I would like to advertise the fact that I shoot my videos in 4K but the size of the files is insane! 4K ProRes 444 is 117min per TB on the Mini Pro and that's only when it comes to 24fps! I currently have two 1TB SSDs that I'm going to be using for freelance work so that gives me barely four hours worth of footage or less than two hours at 60fps before it's a case of BOOM - you're done for, no more footage and the client is left without what he paid for. The only other alternative is that you bring down the codec to 422 or less but that tradeoff is no good for the footage overall.

Basically, I don't want to be stuck in the position where someone asks about 4K and I have to either say

A. "I have to charge you more for extra storage."
B. "I have to lower the quality of the color (the codec) for 4K."
C. "You literally do not own a TV big enough to see the difference between 4k and HD but I'll do it now that you've asked. (aka I wouldn't have done it otherwise because I'm lazy)"

All of these answers lower the client's trust in you.

I know from working in an electrical shop that 4K is all the range now when it comes to customers looking for their money's worth and I don't want the Mini Pro's file sizes to send potential clients running into the arms of 4K Shooterzzz.net and their s.hi..tty GH4s who gladly offer their 4k footage for no extra cost or hesitation.

How do you guys deal with this? I know the extra data storage space is no problem, 4TB seagate external HDDs are cheap but its just a case where I don't even think my 2TB on site SSDs will be able to keep me going through a lot of projects with higher amounts of footage.

James McDonagh

Re: Question for Freelancers regarding 4K

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Question was resolved upon an hour or so of meditation. No answer is needed.

BenWorkman

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Sharing what you decided/came up with is always welcome for the next person who comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Smith

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 pm

This is why professional production houses have big SANS and big RAIDS and 10Gbps ethernet. Lots of data and lots of speed needed. I have 332 TB of 10gbps accessible storage. Or as I like to call it, 1/3 petabytes. Video takes up a lot of space. And it needs to be fast as well.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Return to Getting Started