Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Problem with stereo spherical camera for VR

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Josef Heks

Problem with stereo spherical camera for VR

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 3:07 am

Hi,

We are using Fusion Studio for VR and are encountering a problem we can't work out.
When we try to render a 3D scene using the spherical camera in stereo, the scene introduces an artifact where we can see the invisible outline of a cubemap in both left and right eye views. This is only a problem for stereo, in mono the spherical camera works fine.

Has anybody experienced this problem and can suggest a solution?

I've attached screenshots showing the problem.

Thanks

Kel Philm

Re: Problem with stereo spherical camera for VR

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 pm

Does it still do this if HQ rendering is on?

Josef Heks

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Just for the record we have since heard from BM and others knowledgeable in the VR field, this appears to be a limitation of the stereo spherical output (because it is not a ray traced solution).

We understand this a far more complex approach, though I would suggest that BM adjust their marketing to make this clear that the spherical camera only outputs monoscopic material correctly, we were all mislead by the product page.

paulwolf

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 8:41 am

Josef Heks wrote:Just for the record we have since heard from BM and others knowledgeable in the VR field, this appears to be a limitation of the stereo spherical output (because it is not a ray traced solution).

We understand this a far more complex approach, though I would suggest that BM adjust their marketing to make this clear that the spherical camera only outputs monoscopic material correctly, we were all mislead by the product page.

I so agree with you! I am so disappointed as I thought I could get a good stereo spherical output to help the 3d department which are using REDSHIFT...

It is very agravaiting :(

BTW in nuke there is a physical spherical camera...

Return to Fusion