Slow Motion (Ursa Mini Pro)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Slow Motion (Ursa Mini Pro)

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering, you know you have to shoot in "windowed mode" in order to get 120fps, does that affect and bring down my resolution? If not: is windowed mode something that would be advised to be used for getting those micro close ups and a means of zooming in even more with a long lens? Would this be a type of standard practice?

Uli Plank

Re: Slow Motion (Ursa Mini Pro)

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Of course this will reduce the resolution, since you are using fewer photocells.
OTOH, if you are finishing in HDTV or 2K, you have enough resolution to do both slo-mo or zooming in.

Unfortunately this camera is not offering something like 3K, which would still give you more or less the resolution needed for 2K/HDTV. The true resolution is only about 70-80 percent of the number of photocells with a Bayer pattern.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

James McDonagh

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Of course this will reduce the resolution, since you are using fewer photocells.
OTOH, if you are finishing in HDTV or 2K, you have enough resolution to do both slo-mo or zooming in.

Unfortunately this camera is not offering something like 3K, which would still give you more or less the resolution needed for 2K/HDTV. The true resolution is only about 70-80 percent of the number of photocells with a Bayer pattern.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on specializing in wedding videos. Videos such as these tend to work best when a large proportion of the clips are in slow motion.

Consider the video below which was shot on the Mini Pro. To your eye does this look like it was slowed down from 60fps to 24fps or 120 to 24? After reading your post regarding the resolution limitations at 120fps and seeing that the video has a resolution of 1080 and up (all the way up to 4k although I suspect this was an upscaling and not native 4k) I am guessing it was recorded at 60. My amateur eye is also guessing this as well.

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Unfortunately this camera is not offering something like 3K, which would still give you more or less the resolution needed for 2K/HDTV. The true resolution is only about 70-80 percent of the number of photocells with a Bayer pattern.

The reality is that with modern cameras you can get good 2K output if you capture in 2K.

For weddings, you'll almost never need 4K other than for stabilizing and such, and for events where you can't plan things ahead you can enhance your coverage with reframing in post, so windowed HD will be fine.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Ben Johnston

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 am

For montage-style work (like wedding shorts), I'd suggest that 120fps would often be *too* slow. Unless there is fast movement, it often doesn't reveal enough happening before the pace of the editing wants you to move on.

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Second that.
IMHO, a very mild slo-mo will generate that dreamy, romantic feeling, not a massive one. Even 30 fps slowed down to 24 can suffice (and will give you all the resolution could need).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 4:53 pm

And if you’re shooting for the web, using 33 offspeed fps is another option to be used for 29.97/30 fps deliverables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

James McDonagh

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Ben Johnston wrote:For montage-style work (like wedding shorts), I'd suggest that 120fps would often be *too* slow. Unless there is fast movement, it often doesn't reveal enough happening before the pace of the editing wants you to move on.

I see. So in that wedding video I listed above: that was probably recorded at perhaps 60fps and slowed to 24.

Return to Cinematography