Stutter/jump between "transitions"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AtomKreates

Stutter/jump between "transitions"

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm at work and not in front of my machine. I have searched, found one thread but there wasn't much helpful info. Here goes...

I'm running the latest version of resolve and the latest apple os on my imac. My client has now requested "transitions" be applied between every cut (DOH!). However, I've NEVER used them. When I apply the base transition to two cuts, such as cross dissolve or dip to color dissolve, the frame immediately before the next cut stutters AND enlarges. This issue only happens on 75% of the cuts so that's also maddening. I've deleted all render cache and optimized media. No dice. I've tried making the transition longer and the effect smoother.

So each cut has plenty of frames (not visible) before or after the cut. I'm working in an UHD timeline with UHD footage. The footage is "24p" but I'm working in a 23.976 timeline as I'm pretty sure the camera's "24p" setting is just rounded up (shot with phantom 4 pro and panasonic g7). It doesn't matter if I cut to either camera.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by AtomKreates on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AtomKreates

Re: Stutter/jump between "transitions"

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm going to be attempting what's listed on page 460 of the manual. Right now I'm just placing the transition at the point where clip A ends and clip b begins. I see there are other ways to apply the transition.

Peter Cave

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 pm

There are no transitions in the example video. They are cuts. The size change could be keyframes on the clip scaling but without more info it's impossible to help.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

AtomKreates

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 am

Doh! I forgot in the late night sleepy state I was in that I pulled that version with the jumps.

Peter Cave

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 3:12 am

Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

AtomKreates

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 am

I figured it out. I cut my clips exactly like I wanted them, then applied stabilization. This means the portions of the clips not visible were blended into the next/previous clip without stabilization.

Return to DaVinci Resolve