a matter of platform for Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 7:19 am

HI guys,
I have a problem I hope you can help me solve.
I run a Youtube Psychiatric Professional Channel (http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1) and in the next future I have plans to make a upgrade to 4K in terms of video equipment.
Already now using my 2012 macbookPRO I have great problems of speed in the rendering phase of editing with Resolve so I have planned a substantial upgrade of the editing hardware.
Reading the reviews I have understood tha the new ImacPro could be the right solution BUT following the suggestions of the review I also understand that the RIGHT and DEFINITIVE configuration will cost around 10.000€.
IT'S A LOT OF MONEY for my possibilities so I have thought to choise an assempled Super PC instead of the mac option.
Which is your opiniopn about? Is the assembled PC the right solution in term of prize/power ratio?
Do you think I could install LINUX or is it better to rum WINDOWS 10?
I was thinking on a supercharged machine with 2 1080TI GPU and a lot of Ram. Have you some suggestions about the right and definitive configuration of such a kind of machine?.
Thank you for your attention and hoped help to meka the right choise
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: a matter of platform for Resolve

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am

Since you seem to have an affinity for OS X, have you considered a Hackintosh?

https://www.tonymacx86.com

It's really the best of both worlds, and it's absolutely rock solid as far as stability and reliability.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 am

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Since you seem to have an affinity for OS X, have you considered a Hackintosh?

It's really the best of both worlds, and it's absolutely rock solid as far as stability and reliability.

Do you think that this is the solution?
Starting from scracth I have in avery case the necessity to biuld an assembled PC and after choise the operating system to put in
Francesco Bollorino

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Since you seem to have an affinity for OS X, have you considered a Hackintosh?

I can build an Hckintosh with no problem about CUP and GPU?
The only question is about the upgrades of the system files I have not understand if the Hackintosh is seem by App store app as a real mac or not in order to archieve all the upgrades made
Francesco Bollorino

Johannes Hoffmann

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 2:39 pm

I also was looking for an affordable upgrade to my 2012 MacBook Pro a few month back. I finally went with an even older machine: a maxed out classic MacPro (12 Core 3,46GHz, 48GB Ram, USB 3.0, Titan X, PCI-SATA III, DeckLink Card) for 2300 Euro.

I don't know how well this machine would handle 4k, but I get realtime performance with noise reduction on BMCC-Raw files (that would drop to 0.5fps on my MacBook). And similar configuration are reported to be on par with the latest trashcan Mac Pro.

One more (perhaps heretical) thought: Maybe the most effective solution (cost and performance) is actually a very simple one: don’t use 4k. Having had a short glimpse on your channel, I would say: there is nothing that calls for 4k. While the tech crowd definitely enjoys the number game, it is not the most important number in making a good film.

Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Johannes Hoffmann wrote:I also was looking for an affordable upgrade to my 2012 MacBook Pro a few month back. I finally went with an even older machine: a maxed out classic MacPro (12 Core 3,46GHz, 48GB Ram, USB 3.0, Titan X, PCI-SATA III, DeckLink Card) for 2300 Euro.

I don't know how well this machine would handle 4k, but I get realtime performance with noise reduction on BMCC-Raw files (that would drop to 0.5fps on my MacBook). And similar configuration are reported to be on par with the latest trashcan Mac Pro.

One more (perhaps heretical) thought: Maybe the most effective solution (cost and performance) is actually a very simple one: don’t use 4k. Having had a short glimpse on your channel, I would say: there is nothing that calls for 4k. While the tech crowd definitely enjoys the number game, it is not the most important number in making a good film.

Johannes

Dear Johannes thanks for your reply I perfectly know that my actual videos (most from conference halls) dont require 4K but also my video equipment is old and I'm thinking on an upgrade and all the gear possible have 4k option . But by now even 1080 video files have problem of speed.
My aim is to find a definitive grea to edit for the next 4-5 years and the new Imac Pro would be the right solution apart of the ESSENTIAL problem of cost.
So I'm looking for something able to give same or better performance for a fraction of cost and the solution of an assembled PC seems to me ok but I have no experience in the field being a mac user from 1984 to now.
I dont need a mac ( apart from the user experience) as I would use the gera ONLY for videoediting apart from web browsing and digit paper in word
I hope to have some other suggestion gentle like yours
Francesco Bollorino

Michael Grippentrog

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Dear Francesco, I totally get what you are aiming for. That said, the price for the comming iMac Pro is just insane unless you are either earning (a lot of) money with that machine or have plenty of cash to spend/burn. I too, decided to build my first Hackintosh in January. I am neither a nerd, nor a noob regarding computer technologies. BUT unless you absolutely know what you are doing, it takes a lot of time reserching, testing, setting up etc. with many frustrating moments until a Hackintosh gets "productive". Because of Davinci Resolve and its need for Nvidia Cuda support I bought a GTX GPU and that's where trouble, or say at least inconveniance, begins on a Hack. At some point I thought about quitting the idea of installing OSX on that PC and going with Windows from there on. Several weeks later now my Hack is up and running and I'm happy that all turned out great eventually. But it's not for the faint hearted. Hackintosher forums are even fuller of desperate help postings than on the Resolve Section right here

Bottom line should be, a genuine Apple device for a 4k workflow (MacPro/iMac Pro) is insanely expensive for non professionals. Personally I love OSX a lot more than Windows OS, so I tackled all the Hackintosh hassles. But if the OS doesn't matter, go with a Windows PC. You can throw in a i9 core, plenty of RAM for a more reasonable price tag and just laugh about all the current iMac users around the globe.

P.S.: Don't use 4k in your timeline anyway. That's when proxy and optimized media comes in handy within Resolve.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Hackintosh i7 8700k, ASUS GFX 1060 OC
15" MacBookPro (Mid 2012)
LG 34UM88-P, UltraStudio Mini Monitor, FinalCutPro X & Davinci Resolve

Andy Mees

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Hey Francesco

Do you plan to use the new computer exclusively for your editing / post-production needs? Or will it also be a general purpose machine?

I ask, because for my own personal use preference is for Mac - I'm typing this on a 10 year old MacBookPro that I keep in the kitchen, upstairs I have a somewhat newer iMac for general use - but professionally I work almost exclusively on PCs that were custom built by a local shop at low cost.

Windows 10, like Mac OS X, is a very easy to use operating system. Cross platform applications like Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve work identically regardless of platform. There are no issues with driver support and compatibility. You might find that a Windows 10 PC for your workstation is by far the cheapest and easiest solution... and you can keep using your older Macs for other tasks.

Cheers
Andy

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 7:55 am

Andy Mees wrote:Hey Francesco

Do you plan to use the new computer exclusively for your editing / post-production needs? Or will it also be a general purpose machine?

I ask, because for my own personal use preference is for Mac - I'm typing this on a 10 year old MacBookPro that I keep in the kitchen, upstairs I have a somewhat newer iMac for general use - but professionally I work almost exclusively on PCs that were custom built by a local shop at low cost.

Windows 10, like Mac OS X, is a very easy to use operating system. Cross platform applications like Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve work identically regardless of platform. There are no issues with driver support and compatibility. You might find that a Windows 10 PC for your workstation is by far the cheapest and easiest solution... and you can keep using your older Macs for other tasks.

Cheers
Andy

Dear Handy, thank you a lot I have only one caveat about the suggested WINPC solution and it is the managment of quicktime files on a WIN machine as Quicktime is no longer supported on WINDOWS computer
Is it true? Are there problems to save .mov files on a WIN based computer?
let me know
Francesco Bollorino

Johannes Hoffmann

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 8:19 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:But by now even 1080 video files have problem of speed.

What codec does your footage use? On my MacBook ProRes files with light grading work in realtime. If you need faster than realtime rendering than you need of course a faster machine.

And for the platform question: If you need ProRes as delivery format a Mac might be the better solution.

Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

Tero Ahlfors

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 8:40 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Are there problems to save .mov files on a WIN based computer?

Most post production programs use their own QT decoder/encoder so there is support for the most used codecs. Some 32-bit legacy codecs are going away on Windows.

Andy Mees

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:I have only one caveat about the suggested WINPC solution and it is the managment of quicktime files on a WIN machine... // Are there problems to save .mov files on a WIN based computer?

Hi Francesco

No problem at all importing and editing MOV source footage, nor any problem exporting/mastering to MOV using a supported codec... but if your workflow is to export/master to the Apple ProRes format, and if you specifically need to continue doing that, then a Mac would be the best solution. However, if you are currently doing that (exporting to ProRes MOV), then you might want to ask yourself whether you really *need* to continue doing so? There are a number of alternative high quality cross platform mastering codecs available to you in Resolve, such as Cineform and DNxHD/DNxHR. And for export/upload to Youtube, a simple high bit rate MP4 (H264) will provide excellent results.

Hope it helps
Andy

PeterMoretti

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 am

Francesco, I would recommend getting the Studio version of Resolve, as it is a lot faster than the free version when running Windows with an Intel CPU and NVidia GPU.

Which leads to my next recommendation, build a Windows 10 system with an Intel CPU and an NVidia GPU.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Sam Steti

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 am

Hi there,
You wanna get rid of worries ?
Take 2k$, buy a 2012 macpro, put 32 Go ram ; then 2 x GTX 1080 ti inside (or even one single in the beginning to check), install your actual system and files on an ssd and put a 4 x usb 3 PCIe card.
You're ok for what you need, you're on OSX, it works great and it's around 3k$ depending on the real HW prices you get, not 10 k$.
;)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

roger.magnusson

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:52 am

PeterMoretti wrote:Francesco, I would recommend getting the Studio version of Resolve, as it is a lot faster than the free version when running Windows with an Intel CPU and NVidia GPU.

That's not entirely true! Intel Iris support is available on both the free and the studio version. People are confused because they have tested non-Iris GPU:s on the free version. Those GPU:s aren't any faster in the studio version.

The studio version does have hardware acceleration for reading some AVC/HEVC files though.

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:48 am

I second Sam's advice. We have two of those beefed up old MacPros and they are our workhorses.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

PeterMoretti

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 4:29 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:Francesco, I would recommend getting the Studio version of Resolve, as it is a lot faster than the free version when running Windows with an Intel CPU and NVidia GPU.

That's not entirely true! Intel Iris support is available on both the free and the studio version. People are confused because they have tested non-Iris GPU:s on the free version. Those GPU:s aren't any faster in the studio version.

The studio version does have hardware acceleration for reading some AVC/HEVC files though.
Roger, yes you are correct. The advantage of the Studio version shows with H.264/5.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Sam Steti wrote:Hi there,
You wanna get rid of worries ?
Take 2k$, buy a 2012 macpro, put 32 Go ram ; then 2 x GTX 1080 ti inside (or even one single in the beginning to check), install your actual system and files on an ssd and put a 4 x usb 3 PCIe card.
You're ok for what you need, you're on OSX, it works great and it's around 3k$ depending on the real HW prices you get, not 10 k$.
;)

Here's what I don't understand, how is that any better than a Hackintosh?

People seem to have an irrational fear of Hackintosh for some reason, but I wouldn't even be bringing it up if it wasn't 100% compatible and reliable. My Hackintosh is how I make a living, it's mission critical to me and my clients. On a daily basis I use apps like Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Resolve, Houdini, C4D, Aftereffects and Photoshop (plus tons of other obscure stuff) and it runs them far better than my official Mac Book Pro.

And here's the best part...if for some reason you decide that you don't want to run OS X, your Hackintosh magically transforms into a PC! Alternatively, configuring a dual-booting Hackintosh/Windows machine is trivially easy.

So the next question is...what do I buy?

Go here, it's spelled out for you and the component list is updated every month:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/february/2018/

The next question....how do I set it up?

Go here, it's a step by step instruction that would make Ikea proud:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unib ... pc.235474/

The best part is also that the Hackintosh community on Tonymac is far more helpful and knowledgeable than on Apple.com or other sites. I have solved issues with my legitimate Mac Book Pro thanks to the Tonymac community when I couldn't find any answers elsewhere.

I don't know what else to say really aside from the fact that I have helped about dozen other friends of mine set up Hackintoshes and years later they all love them. They are editors, colorists, composers, photographers...there is even a Los Angeles theatre which runs one for all of their QLab stage stuff.
>>Kays Alatrakchi

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Sam Steti

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Well, actually I'm not to be convinced, I can very easily understand your statement, no problem.
The fact is that I personally don't reckon it when I'm among people who are more than 70% professional, that's all... Why ? Because I've met many of them who were "totally lost" when they had a tiny issue with a bluetooth stuff, audio other stuff or anything else which would have required putting hands on clover... I've met too many of them really focused on their job and immediately bothered when any hack-action is required (for example after an Apple update).
This is the only reason why. For the rest, I perfectly know that everything's ok...

Now, in a certain matter, a 2012 MP is a mac-hack at the end of the day : you do exactly the same with some hardware which is already supported by default; thus nothing - except the default Xeon - inside the computer is like it was when bought in the first place (PCIe, HD, USB, GPU(s), ...), but with the guarantee it must work for real at once

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Sam Steti wrote:The fact is that I personally don't reckon it when I'm among people who are more than 70% professional, that's all... Why ? Because I've met many of them who were "totally lost" when they had a tiny issue with a bluetooth stuff, audio other stuff or anything else which would have required putting hands on clover.

Oh, I totally get it. Although for me, it's a luxury to not be very tech-oriented in this line of work. I envy professionals who are lucky enough to have assistants who take care of all the tech maintenance things, and can just show up to edit, color of whathaveyou.

The way I see it is, a good 30% of my job is I.T. (with 30% being sales and marketing, 30% being doing what people are actually paying me to do, and 10% being psychological therapy for my clients who think their films are terrible).
>>Kays Alatrakchi

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 9:52 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:I have a problem I hope you can help me solve. I run a Youtube Psychiatric Professional Channel (http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1) and in the next future I have plans to make a upgrade to 4K in terms of video equipment.

I have a more basic question: are you sure you really need 4K? I think if you do everything in HD -- very high quality HD -- you'll get perfectly good quality for online and cable presentation without any issues. I don't see anybody clamoring for 4K content like this except possibly for specialized streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, and a handful of others. I think the transition to 4K is going to be a long one, not something that happens overnight. Great HD will trump marginal 4K anytime -- and I've seen some terrible 4K shot with highly-compressed, cheap cameras using 8-bit video.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Francesco Bollorino

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:I have a problem I hope you can help me solve. I run a Youtube Psychiatric Professional Channel (http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1) and in the next future I have plans to make a upgrade to 4K in terms of video equipment.

I have a more basic question: are you sure you really need 4K? I think if you do everything in HD -- very high quality HD -- you'll get perfectly good quality for online and cable presentation without any issues. I don't see anybody clamoring for 4K content like this except possible for specialized streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, and a handful of others. I think the transition to 4K is going to be a long one, not something that happens overnight. Great HD will trump marginal 4K anytime -- and I've seen some terrible 4K shot with highly-compressed, cheap cameras using 8-bit video.

Dear Marc I totally understand what you say but by now my 2012 macbookPro is not enought for my needs in NLE with Resolve i.e. the times of redering in HD my long files are inadequate to my needs of speed. Here the most important reason I'm looking for the right upgrade considering that the new ImacPro is out of my pocket.
I do think reading the gentle replis to my question that I have to build ar to buy an assembled PC with a lot a Ram dual GPU with intel CPU a lot of ram and after I have to decide if I would run WIN10 or MAC OS X
Do you and you all agrre with me?
Francesco Bollorino

Michael Grippentrog

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 4:18 pm

... and after I have to decide if I would run WIN10 or MAC OS X...

Big NO! You can't put in whatever hardware you want and decide to turn your machine into a Hackintosh later. Even if a lot of parts is supported by OS X, you have to chose wisely, which hardware will be supported by OS X drivers etc. As I stated earlier, building a Hackintosh, especially your first one, requires a lot of research in the first place.

Sam Steti

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Hey, this guy Michael, just above my post here, is right; and this is by the way the reason why I proposed a 2012 macpro : in a certain matter, you build a computer with agreed pieces of hardware

Kays Alatrakchi

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Michael Grippentrog wrote:As I stated earlier, building a Hackintosh, especially your first one, requires a lot of research in the first place.

Yes, except a lot of the research is now done for you. The Hackintosh experience has changed a lot through the years. When I built my first Hackintosh about 5 years ago, it was a hair-ripping experience to set it all up with the various Chimera flags etc. My most recent Hackintosh last year was so simple that I think it was practically equivalent to setting up a real Mac.

If most users stick to buying components from this list:

and then follow these instructions:

I think that's really all there is to it.
>>Kays Alatrakchi

Michael Grippentrog

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:
Michael Grippentrog wrote:As I stated earlier, building a Hackintosh, especially your first one, requires a lot of research in the first place.

Yes, except a lot of the research is now done for you. The Hackintosh experience has changed a lot through the years. When I built my first Hackintosh about 5 years ago, it was a hair-ripping experience to set it all up with the various Chimera flags etc. My most recent Hackintosh last year was so simple that I think it was practically equivalent to setting up a real Mac.

If most users stick to buying components from this list:

and then follow these instructions:

I think that's really all there is to it.
On tonymacx86 they still recommend Intel's 7th generation CPUs. I went with the more recent 6 core 8700k. It took a decent amount of research and trial and error. Instructions on successful 8th generation builds just came up in the last couple of days.
Last edited by Michael Grippentrog on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roen Davis

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 am

I have not tried Linux but a few years back, built a PC that I researched and they put together for me....about half the cost of an Apple or proprietary solution. Gamers have revolutionised video post. If you want to know more, PM me during the week.

Cheers
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:I do think reading the gentle replis to my question that I have to build ar to buy an assembled PC with a lot a Ram dual GPU with intel CPU a lot of ram and after I have to decide if I would run WIN10 or MAC OS X Do you and you all agree with me?

The BMD Recommended Configuration specs are fairly specific, and they'll give you good guidelines. The reality is that there are $2000 computers that can run Resolve to a point (small files, very simple setup, HD resolution), and there are also $20,000+ systems that can run Resolve at beyond 4K with very complex node structures and lots of OFX plug-ins and so on. A lot depends on your expectations and your budget.

If you're comfortable with the Mac, buy the best Mac Pro you can afford. You could in theory buy one and then sell it later, knowing that the new Mac Pros will be out in about 6 months, and I suspect those will handle nearly any Resolve situation. Or if you're comfortable with Windows, buy a machine with at least 12 cores and two big GPUs, and I bet that will work reasonably well.

Francesco Bollorino

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:I do think reading the gentle replis to my question that I have to build ar to buy an assembled PC with a lot a Ram dual GPU with intel CPU a lot of ram and after I have to decide if I would run WIN10 or MAC OS X Do you and you all agree with me?

The BMD Recommended Configuration specs are fairly specific, and they'll give you good guidelines. The reality is that there are $2000 computers that can run Resolve to a point (small files, very simple setup, HD resolution), and there are also $20,000+ systems that can run Resolve at beyond 4K with very complex node structures and lots of OFX plug-ins and so on. A lot depends on your expectations and your budget.

If you're comfortable with the Mac, buy the best Mac Pro you can afford. You could in theory buy one and then sell it later, knowing that the new Mac Pros will be out in about 6 months, and I suspect those will handle nearly any Resolve situation. Or if you're comfortable with Windows, buy a machine with at least 12 cores and two big GPUs, and I bet that will work reasonably well.

The "problem" Marc is: giving the "same" performances is an assempled PC the same as a new ImacPro for a franction of cost? Or how much could be faster a proper assembled PC then a full spec new ImacPRO? This is my question no other: if I could buy a mac I'd buy a mac as I'm reallu satisfied of its OS but I do think that now it si too much dear
Francesco Bollorino

PeterMoretti

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:

The "problem" Marc is: giving the "same" performances is an assempled PC the same as a new ImacPro for a franction of cost? Or how much could be faster a proper assembled PC then a full spec new ImacPRO? This is my question no other: if I could buy a mac I'd buy a mac as I'm reallu satisfied of its OS but I do think that now it si too much dear

Francesco, there are few things that you should be aware of with each platform:

Windows running the Studio version with an Intel CPU and NVidia GPU will give you significantly better H.264/5 performance. It will read Prores just fine, but it can't write Prores. (Could link to Fusion Studio, or use a third party app to transcode Resolve renders to Prores.)

Mac will write Prores.

The rule of thumb is that PC's give better performance/$. Beyond that, I think you can just compare hardware specs and see how much more bang for your buck you get with a PC.

But to expect Marc or anyone else here to give you a precise answer as to how much more performance you will get using a PC vs Mac at the same price level is a bit too much a to expect, IMHO.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 am

Francesco Bollorino wrote:The "problem" Marc is: giving the "same" performances is an assembled PC the same as a new ImacPro for a franction of cost?

All of these boil down to a matter of opinion. I'm opposed to the iMac Pro for a lot of reason (chief among them their relative lack of upgradability), and I think you can get a more cost-effective Mac Pro. Bear in mind there are people still getting lots of work done on the older pre-2013 Mac Pros with lots of RAM and powerful GPUs, and those are very affordable. Storage, control panels, and calibrated displays are a much bigger expense (at least from my perspective).

I came extremely close to buying an $8,000 16-core i9 PC a few months ago in November, but opted to pay a little less for a 12-core Mac Pro just because of personal preference. The Windows machine would've been fine: Resolve in Windows is about 97% identical between Mac and Windows. But so far, the new Mac has been pretty much flawless and I'm getting lots of work done.

Francesco Bollorino

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Francesco Bollorino wrote:The "problem" Marc is: giving the "same" performances is an assembled PC the same as a new ImacPro for a franction of cost?

All of these boil down to a matter of opinion. I'm opposed to the iMac Pro for a lot of reason (chief among them their relative lack of upgradability), and I think you can get a more cost-effective Mac Pro. Bear in mind there are people still getting lots of work done on the older pre-2013 Mac Pros with lots of RAM and powerful GPUs, and those are very affordable. Storage, control panels, and calibrated displays are a much bigger expense (at least from my perspective).

I came extremely close to buying an $8,000 16-core i9 PC a few months ago in November, but opted to pay a little less for a 12-core Mac Pro just because of personal preference. The Windows machine would've been fine: Resolve in Windows is about 97% identical between Mac and Windows. But so far, the new Mac has been pretty much flawless and I'm getting lots of work done.

THANK YOU A LOT!!!
it's a difficult task to makea decision.
Doyou know if LINUX version of the STUDIO can save in PRORES?
Could it be the solution?
Francesco Bollorino

Tero Ahlfors

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Doyou know if LINUX version of the STUDIO can save in PRORES?

It can but only if you get the 30 thousand dollar version with the advanced panel.

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Performance is not simply speed of working in DR or how fast it is rendering.
It also depends on how experienced you are with the OS, to which degree you can help yourself if problems arise and/or if you have someone around to help you in such a case. Only you can judge these factors.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Francesco Bollorino wrote:Doyou know if LINUX version of the STUDIO can save in PRORES?

The Linux Resolve can export Prores only with the dongle that comes with the Advanced Panel. The stand-alone version (sans AP) can only import Prores. This may change as BMD have recently promised to put more effort on the Linux port.

Meanwhile, we've come up with a dualboot solution to utilize the Linux Resolve and maintain Prores export with help from the Mac version.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 2:12 pm

I use all three version of os, and resolve works on all very well.
Linux at work, but basically only has resolve nuke and fusion

At home i have a win 10, with resolve ands Adobe suite plus fusion. Work up to 4k with Jusy 1 1080ti Fe

For the prores window, it's very easy:
Buy resolve
Buy fusion (that probably you need anyway)

Fusion has the apple licensed prores export.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:24 am

Tero Ahlfors wrote:It can but only if you get the 30 thousand dollar version with the advanced panel.

Note this is Apple's decision (as I think Tero knows). You can make a good argument that you could set up an extremely good Windows system for well under $10,000, then buy a $1500 Mac and just do the ProRes renders on that... and that would be cheaper than $30K. (But without the big panels.)

Uli Plank wrote:Performance is not simply speed of working in DR or how fast it is rendering.
It also depends on how experienced you are with the OS, to which degree you can help yourself if problems arise and/or if you have someone around to help you in such a case. Only you can judge these factors.

I agree: all major factors. It's a huge drag to have a system problem at 3AM when you have to have a project completely delivered by 9AM. And much of the time, it's not a Resolve problem -- it's an OS problem.

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:12 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Tero Ahlfors wrote:It can but only if you get the 30 thousand dollar version with the advanced panel.

Note this is Apple's decision (as I think Tero knows). You can make a good argument that you could set up an extremely good Windows system for well under $10,000, then buy a $1500 Mac and just do the ProRes renders on that... and that would be cheaper than $30K. (But without the big panels.)

Uli Plank wrote:Performance is not simply speed of working in DR or how fast it is rendering.

I agree: all major factors. It's a huge drag to have a system problem at 3AM when you have to have a project completely delivered by 9AM. And much of the time, it's not a Resolve problem -- it's an OS problem.

I'd like to know if the "solution" could be this:
To buy an 5.1 Mac pro (in Italy you can find it from 350 to 1000 €)
To add two Nvidia 1080 TI
To add RAM
As Resolve works essentially with GPU I do think this could be the right and cheaper way to have the right gear for my necessities without sell my home to buy a new Imac pro
Francesco Bollorino

Martin Schitter

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:13 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Note this is Apple's decision...

no -- it's not only apples decision!

although i agree in general, that limited codec support should not be seen so much as caused by technical limitations, but more as a really stupid challenge for the legal departments of software manufacturies, there are many ways, how software developers can work around this issues quite satisfaying ways.

you don't have to provide ProRes in your applications out of the box at all cost, but nobody will hinder you to support e.g. OpenFX file readers/writers. this would let the the actual users choose, which plugins they actually install on their machines to realize additional file format support completely independent of the preferred grading or editing software. it also would help to realize a more homogeneous infrastructure and cross platform accessibility, where file support in all applications works exactly the same and prevent unnecessary headache and nasty incompatibility issues.

i really understand, that this question usually gets raised by linux users, because on this operating system even the most simple video processing tools are usually able to handle a wide range of video formats (including most professional choices). it's therefor quite frustrating, when a much more advanced solution looks significant more limited and unsatisfying in this particular respect.

Peter Cave

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 am

Marc Wielage wrote:

I'd like to know if the "solution" could be this:
To buy an 5.1 Mac pro (in Italy you can find it from 350 to 1000 €)
To add two Nvidia 1080 TI
To add RAM
As Resolve works essentially with GPU I do think this could be the right and cheaper way to have the right gear for my necessities without sell my home to buy a new Imac pro

I tried EXACTLY the same setup and it is VERY slow on 4K H264 or MPEG4 decoding as that is handled by the CPU. I am now selling the Mac Pro 5.1 and replacing with a Hackintosh. The Hackintosh took a LONG time to setup and get working reliably. It is NOT easy to do. If I were to start over.... I would buy a top spec Win 10 PC or wait for the new 2018 Mac Pro.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Peter Cave wrote: I tried EXACTLY the same setup and it is VERY slow on 4K H264 or MPEG4 decoding as that is handled by the CPU. I am now selling the Mac Pro 5.1 and replacing with a Hackintosh. The Hackintosh took a LONG time to setup and get working reliably. It is NOT easy to do. If I were to start over.... I would buy a top spec Win 10 PC or wait for the new 2018 Mac Pro.

Yes BUT my problem as said it's essentially a matter of budget. If I'd have no problem of budget probably I'd like to buy the next configurable Mac Pro 2018 but I do think that it will cost a lot of money considering the prize of the actual ImacPro (in the configuration I do think right for my needs we sail arounf 9000 € a lot of money for my pocket.
It is true that my 16Giga Mid 2012MacbookPro is absolutely out of spec for my editings so I need to find a new gear that endures not one month.
I understand that it's not simple and every soturion has pros and cons but I really dont know what to do
Francesco Bollorino

Francesco Bollorino

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Peter Cave wrote: I tried EXACTLY the same setup and it is VERY slow on 4K H264 or MPEG4 decoding as that is handled by the CPU. I am now selling the Mac Pro 5.1 and replacing with a Hackintosh. The Hackintosh took a LONG time to setup and get working reliably. It is NOT easy to do. If I were to start over.... I would buy a top spec Win 10 PC or wait for the new 2018 Mac Pro.

Yes BUT my problem as said it's essentially a matter of budget. If I'd have no problem of budget probably I'd like to buy the next configurable Mac Pro 2018 but I do think that it will cost a lot of money considering the prize of the actual ImacPro (in the configuration I do think right for my needs we sail arounf 9000 € a lot of money for my pocket.
It is true that my 16Giga Mid 2012MacbookPro is absolutely out of spec for my editings so I need to find a new gear that endures not one month.
I understand that it's not simple and every soturion has pros and cons but I really dont know what to do

To saY: a seller on the net says that he is able to add a thunderbolt port toan old MacPro but it's not clear if what he says is right.. great confusion in Denmark Kingdom....
Francesco Bollorino

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 pm

If you have a lot of H.264 footage coming in, an up-to-date iMac with at least 4 GB VRAM is better than a beefed-up old MacPro. I can tell because we use two such old MPs for DNG footage successfully but the iMac (non Pro) is faster with H.264 stuff.

PeterMoretti

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 12:09 am

Uli Plank wrote:If you have a lot of H.264 footage coming in...

Run Resolve Studio on a Windows 10 PC with Intel processor and NVidia video card.

Peter Cave

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 12:11 am

My 2015 iMac with 4GB AMD GPU is a lot faster than the 2010 Mac Pro with added 8GB GTX1080 GPU and lots of RAM when using H264 or MP4 footage. When the source footage is ProRes the performance is similar.

If you don't have the money for a full upgrade, I would buy an older 2015+ iMac with the i7 CPU and the 4GB GPU. It is good value second hand and is a reliable and easy system to deal with.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 am

Martin Schitter wrote:no -- it's not only apples decision!

Let's agree to disagree. This is the same reason why Adobe Premiere can't export ProRes under Windows as well. It's all up to Apple's ProRes licensing department. Decoding is no problem; encoding is a big problem, in terms of licensing.

Martin Schitter

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 9:19 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Martin Schitter wrote:no -- it's not only apples decision!

Let's agree to disagree.

yes -- that's perfectly fine to me! :)

Marc Wielage wrote:This is the same reason why Adobe Premiere can't export ProRes under Windows as well. It's all up to Apple's ProRes licensing department. Decoding is no problem; encoding is a big problem, in terms of licensing.

this may be a problem for commercial products, but there are very well supported OpenFX file reader/writer collections already available, like openfx-io, which do not suffer in practice by any pressure from apple.

what's more a problem with this OpenFX approach, is the missing audio support. but this can be worked arround (like in nuke) and the OpenFX standard should be seen as quite extensible in this respect.

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 am

Well, Apple did kill the Miraizon codec.
I suppose it all depends on how successful a product is if it stays under Apple's radar or not.

Regarding the original question:
I second the 2015 iMac with 4 GB VRAM if you are tight on money and inclined to that OS. They are good value for money when running Resolve.

John Paines

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm

This thread is fairly flummoxing. You can get a custom-built 12-core i9 Windows system with a 1080 ti, 32GB and 1GB M.2 SSD for about $4300 (in the U.S., at least). Or an 8-core i7 for well under $4000. Or a 6-core, for considerably less, which would likely provide performance nearly as good. It's unclear why anyone would need Prores for youtube exports, but any existing Mac could be used for that purpose. Or with Fusion, as Walter advises.

Or is all that too simple?

Marc Wielage

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 am

John Paines wrote:This thread is fairly flummoxing. You can get a custom-built 12-core i9 Windows system with a 1080 ti, 32GB and 1GB M.2 SSD for about $4300 (in the U.S., at least). Or an 8-core i7 for well under $4000. Or a 6-core, for considerably less, which would likely provide performance nearly as good. It's unclear why anyone would need Prores for youtube exports, but any existing Mac could be used for that purpose. Or with Fusion, as Walter advises.

That can work very well. One can make a good case that the lower-compression DNxHD and DNxHR options work every bit as well as ProRes for delivery.

I recently priced a 16-core i9 machine with 2 GTX1080ti's, and we got it well under $9000. I think that's an amazing price for a modular machine that can be upgraded over time and is relatively easy to repair. That's one thing you can't get from Apple (at the moment). You can make arguments back and forth between ease of use on Windows 10 vs. Mac OSX, but I think that boils down more to personal preference than anything else.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve