Signal distortion, while long SDI cable stays on the reel ?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alexander Kinov

Signal distortion, while long SDI cable stays on the reel ?

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 6:23 am

I know it's a bit strange question, but I better ask than sorry.

I'm building small mobile broadcasting setup. The main parts are 4 Canon xf205 cameras and ATEM TV studio HD switcher.
I'm connecting them with 4 100 meter cables (BELDEN 1855ENH.10100). The cables will stay on 4 cable reels in order to keep them compact and safe, to make my life easier and to avoid any "spaghetti".
In some cases I may need the full length of the cables, but in some cases I may need less. Like 20 meters for example. So, while most of the cable stays on the reel, I worry if this might cause signal distortion, interference, loss, etc. I know from personal experience that sometimes there is problem with really long power cables, audio cables or composite video cables. But I've never worked with long coaxial(SDI) cables and I need advice.

Thanks!

Tarek Saneh

Re: Signal distortion, while long SDI cable stays on the ree

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 6:36 am

You will not have any problems we always use sdi 100m reel for 10 or 20m and the rest of the cable is on the reel and there is no problem
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Alexander Kinov

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks!

roger.suski

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Have you done this successfully? It doesn't appear that Belden 1855 will support 100m transport at 1.5 or 3G

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 pm

1855 / ENH is usually used for short patch cables inside racks or OBVs.. I wont use that for 100m reels. ;)

Also my personal thumb rule is 75m maximum over sdi. Have been to much situations that 90 / 100m is just cause issues.. Maybe not when used in a studio enviroment or tested at the shop.. But when cabling is run by powerlines, and all other sort of different signals.. (we do a lot of festivals.. And we do not have the luxury to have powerlines and sdi divided 80cm apart.. )
So 75M on SDI and everything over that we run standard on fiber. And yes i know belden says 150 meters or whatever on sdi.. But i want a stable signal in all cases and eviroments.. Don't have the time to search for a problem while sdi intermitted fails.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production