Feature Request: Setting AUX as MultiView in 4M/E Broadcast

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Deliard

Feature Request: Setting AUX as MultiView in 4M/E Broadcast

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 7:49 am

As update for ATEM 2M/E Broadcast Panel(to 4M/E) rolled out i was wondering if it's possible to have multiview for each M/E, becouse you have only two of them hardware wise.

So if it's possible to make aux settable to MultiView it would be nice.

Xtreemtec

Re: Feature Request: Setting AUX as MultiView in 4M/E Broadc

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 5:05 pm

The auxes are able to output the PGM and PRV from each ME. But multiviewers stay the same.. And when you switch to a different ME the ME2/3/4 will go on the second MV output as far as i understand last week on the ISE fair.

I will update my 2ME broadcast this weekend so i will find out then. ;)

The sources in the MV are still the same ;) 16 channels as always..
Attachments
Atem4meAux.png
Atem4meAux.png (933.67 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Deliard

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:And when you switch to a different ME the ME2/3/4 will go on the second MV output as far as i understand last week on the ISE fair.

That's interesting information i will definitely test it. Thanks! :).

But on other hand if you want to have all M/E on separate multiview that won't be enough :/

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Well if you want them on a seperate mv.. Then you need to offer up all your aux busses and send PRV and PRG to a seperated multiview unit that will display those.. ;)

The MV's run on a different FPGA as far as i can conclude.. And that is the same reason you are not able to output a MV on the Aux busses. While maybe it might be possible internally.. Because the aux busses seems to have a glitch free switching. So they are no normal internal router but the feed is pulled after the frame buffer..

I remember that someone was able to set the source in the MV PRV PRG windows by Atem commands.. This is nowere implemented into the Atem software.. But the commands are there.. So basically it would be possible to have a AUX source output preview in your PRG windows of ME2.. Or add 2 extra sources like channels 17 and 18 if you like.. But i don't see any point in making a extra multiviewer with all sources and ME3 PRV PRG..
On the other hand.. You might be able to set windows in the current multiviewer to the PRG PRV of the 3 and 4ME.. It will costs you some inputs that won't be shown on the MV.. but sometimes you dont need that.. Last 4 days i offered my last 2 MV windows up see the status of 2 aux outputs to screens.
What would also be very usefull.. would be able to put a Clock into 1 of the multiview windows. The atem could sync the time up with a laptop running atem software.. But would be actually very usefull to have a production clock with current time and maybe a settable countdown timer till a fixed time or countdown 2 hours from go time or something like that.. :)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Deliard

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Well to be honest i'm making request becouse someone asked me to see if it's possible to even do that

Xtreemtec wrote:Then you need to offer up all your aux busses and send PRV and PRG to a seperated multiview unit that will display those..

That's why it's not really a good idea using 4 auxes as multiview would be worse than using only 2. Also you could see the difference between two "self made" MV and normal MV, for some people it would be just infuriating.

Xtreemtec wrote:The MV's run on a different FPGA as far as i can conclude..

I was afraid that this could be the case.

Xtreemtec wrote:But i don't see any point in making a extra multiviewer with all sources and ME3 PRV PRG..

Apparently there are people that need something like this i didn't ask him why.

Xtreemtec wrote:What would also be very usefull.. would be able to put a Clock into 1 of the multiview windows. The atem could sync the time up with a laptop running atem software.. But would be actually very usefull to have a production clock with current time and maybe a settable countdown timer till a fixed time or countdown 2 hours from go time or something like that..

Really nice Idea!

Matt Certa

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Ive seen other MV hardware that could put your company or show logo along with that clock feature. Was a nice bonus feature on corporate shows.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Show/company logo is simple.. Just put a mediaplayer with that logo in 1 of the multiviewer windows 8-)
But clock is a real missing feature.

uli peters

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 8:13 pm

We do the clock display with a Raspberry Pi connected to the HDMI input. We can even add other informations like OnAir Tallys, Intercom Call Tally, EBU R128 Loudness Metering, Countdowns, Text, Rundowns and even Full HD Video Return over IP. Even the tiny RasPi Zero W is powerfull enough for this task :lol:

If you need an additional quad MV on ATEM just use the SuperSource for it and assign PGM/PVW ME3/ME4 to it. Send the SuperSource to an AUX output. Adjust the SuperSource layout until it is exactly 4 quarter sized borderless windows. Save it as Preset or Macro.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Uli the Raspberry is nice.. But not all people are linux savvy.. What software do you use for doing all this??
An internal clock would not cost you a input, only a spot in your MV.. ;) The input would still be availabe for Key/fill or source you dont need a preview from..

uli peters

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Depends on the requirements. Python scripts, ffmpeg, omxplayer, Webbrowser, ...
Setup and forget.

And who cares about a HDMI input???

Xtreemtec

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Well if you don't have them :lol: 2Me Broadcast 4K :lol: :lol: Only SDI connections. But oke.. There is no specific software that can do more options in one.. Some broadcast tool.. Not a linux savvy ;)

uli peters

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 10:25 pm

The RasPi are so cheap and reliable, just preconfigure one for each task/event/show.
Build your own special broadcast tool with common interfaces: Power, HDMI and Ethernet. ;)
So need a simple NTP-synced Gorgy-style Clock on ATEM MV? Take a ClockPi! :lol:

Xtreemtec

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Okee did the update.. Found some nice gems in there.. But also a bit of confusion..

Foto 18-02-18 18 47 42.jpg
Foto 18-02-18 18 47 42.jpg (539.53 KiB) Viewed 3244 times

Foto 18-02-18 18 47 50.jpg
Foto 18-02-18 18 47 50.jpg (449.88 KiB) Viewed 3244 times

So you see here a lot of keyers active.. Most of them are on Pattern Key. Had 2 DVE's active to scale the 4K logo and forgot what the other was..

If you look closely to MV ME1 the lowest MV windows are populated by ME3 PGM, ME3 PRV, ME4 PGM, ME4 PRV. So you can just put them into the multiviewer windows were needed.
Foto 18-02-18 18 51 21.jpg
Foto 18-02-18 18 51 21.jpg (596.49 KiB) Viewed 3244 times

You are not able to control the ME2 PRG and PRV window to set them to ME3 or 4... As said before this can be done by 3th party software.. So i guess it would be possible to do this with JustMacro's or Powershell scripts.. But not straight from the BMD software. Also it does not switch ME2 MV's when you select ME3 or ME4 .. The question is do we need that. On the other hand.. It might become handy if it was possible to auto switch or to select a fixed view.

While you get 4 keyers per ME 4x4 = 16 keyers.. That is really nice addition to this mixer. But when you start to play with DVE's it's looks like you have 4DVE's and when a DVE is on you run into some keyers onn other ME's are locked to go on.. I guess i need to start reading the manual to check how and why.. But when going in first time it is a bit fuzy to understand.. As DVE's and other options are not greyed out. So you would think you can select them.. When trying to activate the keyer on the 1ME panel i got a clear notish in the screen "DVE unavailable" So the panel knows it.. But i think the software could use a bit of optimalisation in that to indicate what resources are used or unavailble.

I still have to play and fiddle much more with it to explorer what can and can't be done.. But it's my free day.. So going home now.

Deliard

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 10:46 am

Also is it possible to turn off white borders in multiview? They are too wide in my opinion, i could be great if you had option to even change their properities like setting to width, color, turning on/off.

Or maybe it's possible already and i just couldn't find option to do that?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Not possible at the moment. Only the layout can be choosen between 4? different layouts.

alexfig

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:You are not able to control the ME2 PRG and PRV window to set them to ME3 or 4... As said before this can be done by 3th party software.. So i guess it would be possible to do this with JustMacro's or Powershell scripts..

Just tried to do this with JustMacros and it looks like it can't be done.
I'm able to change any of the other windows in the MultiViewers through the
Code: Select all
ATEMMixerMVSetWindowInput()
command, but when I try to change the Preview or Program windows, it returns an error :(

This is a huge letdown :cry:

Hopefully in the future they'll allow us to choose different MEs for those windows.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Then it seems they fixed this "bug" that we users misused as a feature. ;)

Return to Live Production