Pink Screen on boot up...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bruce Carson

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 am

My Ursa 4k v1 booted up and both screens are shocking Pink. There are lines traveling through the pink from top to bottom. No picture...
Anyone out there seen this before...I just read about 40 posts about Pink...but nothing like this.

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 4:39 pm

If you have false colour turned on, remove your lens cap or open a closed iris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Bruce Carson

Re: Pink Screen on boot up...

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Rick,
Thank you for the reply. You seem to be one of knowledgeable ones here on this board. I have a 4k cinema camera that I use from time to time. This Ursa 4k v1 was shipped to me a while back. I've never used this one.
I read the pdf and it says to go into the settings menu and false color can be turned on and off there. This camera will not show that menu. Or at least I can't find it.
I can find everything easily on my cinema camera but this menu seems to be missing. Could that be older firmware...? I would think not as it's a pretty critical menu item...to be missing entirely that is.

Bruce Carson

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 8:41 pm

I checked the SDI out as well and it's Pink. There is no reaction from the sensor...The camera is junk.

Thanks for all the help though...ebay for parts...

Best,
BC

Dean Fisher

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 12:28 am

Sadly, I have a v2 Big URSA and I run into this issue occasionally. I'm not sure if it's the sweet talking, the turning it off and on again, changing lenses, or leaving it off and disconnecting power for a few minutes that gets it to return to normal upon boot up, but I do all of those things and it does come back to me and doesn't happen again for a long while.

Give it a shot.

rick.lang

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 6:25 am

Bruce, I was thinking URSA Mini 4K which has false colour I believe. Sorry about that. I hope Dean’s suggestion works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

robert Hart

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Bruce.

If your camera has not been operated at all since you received it, there may have been a fault introduced by violence during shipping. If the cooling system for the camera is similar to the fluid cooled arrangement of a computer, it will be a fairly heavy part. If it is mounted with a heatsink in direct contact with the sensor chip, a heavy knock may have damaged connections to the sensor either within the sensor chip itself or the PCB it is attached to.

What power source are you using. Is it a V-mount or AB-mount camera battery or are you powering via the industry 4-pin XLR connector on the right rear?

With the screen closed and no power connected, try turning the camera upside-down and listen/feel for movements happening inside. If there is a slight thud, the heatsink may have become loosened. If there are slight tickings of things moving around, maybe some screws have loosened or ribbon cables have detached. If you have recording media, maybe put a lens on the camera, aim it at a subject and press the record button, wait a few seconds, press the record button again, wait a few more seconds, press it again, wait a few more seconds, then press it again.

If you have a card reader and can offload into a computer, examine the card to see if an intact file has been created. You could try opening it in the edit software. That should at least indicate how much of the camera is damaged. If you actually get a useable image, then the problem is downstream closer to the display screens. If there is a viewable file and the image is also pink, then maybe the sensor or nearby circuitry is damaged.

It really seems like a job for the repairman but BM may offer a few clues if you contact the company.

Bruce Carson

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 pm

I thank you so much for the time you took to send this to me MUCH APPRECIATED! But I sold the camera yesterday for parts. Just no time to mess with it.

thanks again...it's great having access to people in the know...

BC

Return to Cinematography