Have you seen that?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ulysses Paiva

Have you seen that?

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:27 pm

Camera is BMCC 2.5k
It's happening sometimes lately. Raw or any other codec. Show in the screens and records to the file, as shown below. A good few slaps make it come to normal but its intermitent. The slaps always works and so if feels like something touching what it shouldnt inside the camera. I know slapping is never a good idea nor a way to solve the problem, so I really would like to nail this down. Maybe a loose cable causing a sensor interference? Could it be a capacitor or something like that failing? I hardly think it could be a sensor faoult. 2 weeks ago I took it to a job, traveled in the plane, got through the scanners and stuff and nothing changed. Last monday and tuesday I was recording the Brazilian Carnaval, so I recorded under strong sunlight and heat, and also at night. It happened only once these 2 days. Searching the web, never saw anyone with this. Sending in the camera is out of question because brazilian laws for import/export makes it too difficult and expensive.
Any ideas? Thanks, guys!

00.JPG
00.JPG (210.18 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

01.JPG
01.JPG (166.13 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
Ulysses Paiva

John Brawley

Re: Have you seen that?

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 5:49 am

That's clearly a major problem.

I don't think any "fix" will help you that you can do yourself.

Is there not a BMD agent in South America ?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Nick Gombinsky

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 8:21 am

John Brawley wrote:Is there not a BMD agent in South America ?

JB

There isn't. I live in Argentina and last time I had a problem with my Ursa Mini I had to fly to San Francisco.

Ulysses Paiva

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 12:17 pm

John Brawley wrote:That's clearly a major problem.

I don't think any "fix" will help you that you can do yourself.

Is there not a BMD agent in South America ?

JB

Unfortunately, no, JB. And even so, it would be a massive pain to get it out of the country. I even tried to send it when the IR filter in front of the camera started to get signs of fungus or oil and I saw how painfull it could be (unless money wasnt a problem, I would pay all taxes, have one to do all the paperwork for me and etc ). That time I gave up and BMD was kind enough to send me a replacement, of course for a cost and I assuming all the risk and having no guarantee and all ended up fine.
I really think its something out of place inside the camera but Im no electronical expert so I can only guess. To add to that, I couldnt find anyone on the web with the same problem, nor other major problema related to the sensor, which reinforces in me the confidence that these cameras are robust and long lasting, so a good probability its something I could get in place with some patience and guidance.
Ulysses Paiva

Return to Cinematography