Out of Sync

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Simon

Out of Sync

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 4:05 pm

The search capabilities of the forum are insufficient for this one.

I have the audio portion of a clip in the timeline. I want to add the matching video portion. I can Match Frame the clip and drag down the video, but I want to confirm that the newly added video portion is perfectly in sync with the audio portion. I was hoping Linking the two parts would do it, but when I Link them up with sync intentionally off, there is no Out-of-Sync indicator as I would expect.

Any thoughts?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

Re: Out of Sync

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 4:20 pm

When you add the tracks separately this way, why or how would the system know the two elements are supposed to be in their original sync, when you're deliberating syncing them in a different relationship?

If you want original sync, either overwrite the audio when you do the matchframe or ensure that the video is in fact sync before you link the two clips.

Jim Simon

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 4:46 pm

John Paines wrote:When you add the tracks separately this way, why or how would the system know the two elements are supposed to be in their original sync

Because they're part of the same clip. I would expect Resolve to 'know' at all times when the two parts are in or out of sync.

Premiere Pro knows this, and provides the expected out-of-sync indicator even when linked after the fact.

Resolve, for some reason, does not.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 5:29 am

Resolve is assuming that you know what you are doing when you set the manual link and that you are overriding the previous sync.

Yes is it different than premiere but in the same way that a tricycle is different than a bicycle. It is assuming that you know what you are doing and gives you the tools and the power to change it.

I will say the one thing I wish it did was go back to displaying the old sync after you break the link, but it seems like once you change the link you break the relationship altogether.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Jim Simon

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 4:46 pm

I find that explanation...lacking.

There's no assumption of user error by displaying an out-of-sync indicator, which can always be ignored.

Lacking that indicator, however, is a problem.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve