ATEM Television Studio HD does not detect Laptop HDMI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

vanwykac

ATEM Television Studio HD does not detect Laptop HDMI

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello, I have a ATEM Television Studio HD that runs version 7.2.

My system is setup to run 720p50, all my cameras run at 720p50 on SDI and works 100%. The strange part is when I connect my MacBook Pro or my Mac Mini to any of the HDMI inputs, both picks up that the system is running 1080i, not 720p50. I have to force the display outputs of the MacBook Pro and Mac mini to 720p50 before it works.
My question is if the system is set to work on 720p50, why does the HDMI inputs EDID shows that it is 1080i?

Secondly, I need to split my Mac Mini output as I am running ProPresenter.Once I have connected the HDMI splitter, I have to go through the same routine to force my output to run 720p50. My local monitor as well as my projector picks up the signal and it shows that it is running 720p50 on the display info but the ATEM does not pick up the HDMI signal. From time to time there is a green flash that points out that it might be HDCP issue?
I have tried various HDMI splitters, even one where the 1st output picks up the EDID info and then distributes it to the other outputs.

Andrew Martin

Re: ATEM Television Studio HD does not detect Laptop HDMI

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Buy yourself a decimator MD-HX it'll take the hdmi from ur Mac present it as an hdmi for ur projector then give you a scaled Res on SDI to feed into ur Atem.

vanwykac

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you Andrew, it is a work around but I do not want to use my last SDi port as I am planning on using all 4 SDi ports for cameras.
I am sure other BM users must have the same issue? I feel this is a BM firmware bug that needs to be fixed.

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 1:55 am

How is your Laptop computer not being able to outlutmthe correct video signal for the ATEM a BM firmware issue? All ATEM inputs must have matching video resolutions, this is a ATEM hardware limitation, nomip/down or cross scaling is available. The fact that your laptop does not generate the correct signal, is more of a problem with your computer to my thinking. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Markus Leodolter

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 4:36 am

The problem is apple. They switch on hdcp at the moment you use hdmi even if you just send out powerpoint. You can use the processed hdmi output of decimator or you can look for a cheap chinese hdmi splitter - use the search of the forum.

vanwykac

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 am

guys, if you read my post, the laptop to the BM works with nothing in between, but I still have to force my resolution down to 720p50.
When I add in a splitter, even a cheap chinese one, then the BM does not pick up my laptop, so when teh Apple HDCP is bypassed, the BM doe snot see my laptop but the other devices, like my projector sees and recognise my Apple and the signal information on the projector is 720p50

AndyMcHardy

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 1:22 pm

I would suggest the decimator MD-HX as well (Everyone should have one with an ATEM), though you may get away with something like one of the HDMI Fury Dr. HDMI units to manage the EDID that the computers are seeing. (Also as it sit's in-line you could use it with your current splitter setup to feed both locations)
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

mikelobb

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 1:39 am

Resurrecting a slightly dead thread here, but after searching for a while, I still can't find a respectable answer to the issue that Anton raised.

"Buy more kit to use as a work-around" is NOT a solution to the problem.
I have EDID spoofers, scalers, vision mixers, etc. I COULD use some of it as a workaround. Hell, I could just use one of my Analog Way switchers as a workaround to the problem.... and not use the TVS-HD at all. Boom! Problem gone! Is that a decent solution?

I (like Anton) have paid for a bit of kit, which has a known issue that is not being fixed, despite no less than 5 firmware updates since release. The EDID being provided by the HDMI inputs should match the resolution and refresh rate that the unit is set to. I fail to see how having EDID that always reports 1080i/30 is in any way useful.

I'd love to hear a response from Blackmagic regarding this.

vanwykac

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:38 pm

I am also waiting with bated breath...
I even chatted to the engineers at trade shows, handed them my card, still no answer

Andrew Martin

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 pm

You'll prob. not get a direct answer from BM simply because they avoid this type of thing and because this is termed a user forum, BMD issues are always advised to take a ticket from the BM support website.. BUT

Saying that,
If they did reply it would go something along the lines of we design our switchers to be compatible with true broadcast std. video resolution and framerates. The output of a PC / Mac etc. wouldn't be considered a std. broadcast resolution.

:roll: :lol:

Fred Rodrigues

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 9:16 am

Generally not an HDCP issue, mac will turn on HDCP at the right time, apple did disable a lot of available resolutions in the system settings.

Having said that verify a few things, do you get a connection at any resolution? Try 1080p or i. If you are getting a good connection you know your ports and cable are OK, and if not try a cable, different combinations of inputs and outputs (due to different line drivers) will not behave the same and sometimes a good short (1m) cable can fix things.

If you do get a signal at other resolutions and not the one you want then for apple try make sure you are on the latest OS as it will have updated gfx drivers (sorry no way to easily get just the drivers updated in OSX). You can also try a software called switchresx that will expose the other available resolutions of your mac.

For windows versions of this problems go for updated drivers and without an up to date OS support is your own issue generally.

Not all GFX cards support all modes, so maybe your device cannot do the resolution refresh rate combo you want.

If you want to put anything laptop into your system at a moments notice then a hardware scaler is the way to go. Having said all that, I have connected a lot of macs and PCs to ATEMS (generally higher end machines) and I have never had to do anything more than a driver update or switchresx, but that is rare.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

mikelobb

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:01 am

I'm still waiting on other posts to make it past moderation (the week long delay is awesome), but here's the latest anyway, as of 1st July 2018 11:15pm UMT....

I did lodge a support request with Blackmagic a week ago, to find out if they had plans to update the EDID at any point, and they embarrassed themselves with this little nugget....
"The customer is mistaken about how EDID actually works. EDID lets the source that is an input, for example a DVD player, tell the device that it is connected to, a TV, what format the TV should set itself to."
When I queried the job position of the person that said this, (I wasn't actually allowed to talk to anyone at Blackmagic, I had to relay the whole conversation through a third-party in Australia), I was informed that they were an engineer at Blackmagic. I seriously doubt that this is true, given the lack of understanding of what I feel is fairly basic vision technology.

I was also told that "we have no plans to change the way we do EDID."

I've been working on trying to flash a custom EDID with 1080p/60 being the preferred setting, using a linux box with the edid-rw package. Unfortunately, despite being able to read and dump the EDID from the TVS, I can't flash it back. I get no write errors, but whatever I flash back to it gets ignored.
So they've clearly gone for a more complex setup than an EEPROM sitting behind an i2c bus like you'd see in most TVs or display panels.
So at this point, I think I'll give up.
This unit can sit in my warehouse as an emergency reserve, and I'll just stick with Analog Way switchers.

@Andrew Martin:
YUV 1080p60 is a perfectly acceptable broadcast standard, whatever its original source device is. Someone at Blackmagic obviously agrees, because they recently changed the preferred setting on the micro-converters to 1080p60. My hope was that they would do the same for the TVS, but I'm told they aren't. That said, the person who told me this obviously has little to no understanding of the technology, so I take their words with a grain of salt.

Return to Live Production