DaVinci Resolve 14 closes suddenly on iMac Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Eli Coory

DaVinci Resolve 14 closes suddenly on iMac Pro

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 3:38 pm

I just installed DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio (DVR 14) on a New iMac Pro (standard spec). It works fine when opening new project but when opening an imported project, DVR 14 suddenly closes. The project was edited on my old MacBook Pro (OS Sierra Version 10.12.6) using DVR 12.5.

In my attempt to fix the error, I upgraded the DVR 12.5 Studio on the old MacBook Pro to the latest version of DVR 14 Studio and exported the project again but DVR 14 on the iMac Pro still closes when attempting to open the imported new project.

Can anyone help please?

Eli Coory

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 closes suddenly on iMac Pro

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm

I managed to fix the problem in the end. It turned out that I should have selected custom installation and check the PostSQL box to add in the installation.

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 7:06 am

Great you found it. Yes, newer versions of DR don't install it by default any more. BM has probably decided that many people use Resolve with a disc database only.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Robert A. Ober

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 12:41 am

Eli Coory wrote:I managed to fix the problem in the end. It turned out that I should have selected custom installation and check the PostSQL box to add in the installation.

Hey,

Just started a reinstall and did not see any custom installation option in 14.3 . How does one do a custom install?

Thanks,
Robert

Eli Coory

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 am

Robert A. Ober wrote:
Eli Coory wrote:I managed to fix the problem in the end. It turned out that I should have selected custom installation and check the PostSQL box to add in the installation.

Hey,

Just started a reinstall and did not see any custom installation option in 14.3 . How does one do a custom install?

Thanks,
Robert

When you begin the installation of the DaVinci Resolve 14 and as you click the continue button to agree terms and confirm destination folder etc... (see attached image), the 5th time you will be asked to continue on the type of installation where another button appears to the left with an option of customised installation.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 11.19.15.png
The screen grab.
Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 11.19.15.png (194.99 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

Eli Coory

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 10:56 am

I posted this probably too quickly as I'm having the problem, described at the top of this post, again.

Only once I managed to open the project that I imported but since the issue is reoccurring - DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio on a new iMac Pro shuts down when I try to open an imported project that works fine on my MacBook Pro.

The DR project originally created using DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Studio on my MBP. Since I upgraded the DaVinci Resolve Studio 12.5 on my Macbook Pro to the latest version and exported the project to use on the iMac Pro but it won't open. I tried different types of DRP versions (old and new, created using DR 12.5 and 14) but DR14 on my iMac Pro still crashes when opening them. New projects created using DR 14 on the iMac Pro are fine and works OK.

I'm using OS High Sierra.

Does anyone know a fix?

Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 2:59 am

Im assuming the issue is the one drp from the MacBookPro and that new projects made in the iMac work ok?

Please post a link to the problem drp so someone can try it.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Eli Coory

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Im assuming the issue is the one drp from the MacBookPro and that new projects made in the iMac work ok?

Please post a link to the problem drp so someone can try it.

The drp created from resolve 12.5 on the MacBook Pro. It still work fine on the MacBook Pro even after resolve and OS are updated to the latest versions. But it does not open on the iMac Pro.

Eli Coory

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 3:26 pm

It looks like the external Crucial SSD card is what causing the issue. High Sierra does't seem to like it. I'm in touch with Crucial for a solution. Has anyone experienced such a problem?

Eli Coory

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm pleased to say that after a frustrating week, I found why DaVinci Resolve on iMac Pro crashed when trying to open a drp. It was because the Crucial external SSD, where the media files linked to the DR project are, became incompatible on the iMac Pro running High Sierra OS.

Erasing and repartitioning the SSD using the Utilities on the iMac Pro, then recopy all media files over done the tric and fixed the problem.

Return to DaVinci Resolve