Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera Remote Control

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Osborne

Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera Remote Control

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 pm

I am interested in the BMMCC, particularly for use in conjunction with a 3-axis gimbal stabilizer like the ZHIYUN CRANE 2. I need to control some of the camera's basic functions while it's on the gimbal though (and not always within arm's reach) and I understand that this is possible through the expansion port on the side of the camera. However, I am having trouble finding readily available products for remote control which can connect to this port.

I see that there is a breakout cable, with a bouquet of different wires and connections coming out of it. Nothing is stopping me from creating a self-made, custom solution except the fact that I don't have a soldering iron, raw electrical materials or much experience when it comes to manufacturing electrical components. I have considered using an RC remote, like for a remote control airplane, and connecting the receiver leads to the corresponding blackmagic breakout cables. So, rather than the remote transmitter telling servos on a model plane to move they will go to the BMMCC, which I'll program to interpret and apply these signals to camera functions. This seems doable, even for me. I wonder though, are there any other viable options? A simpler kit or device? I am picturing the entire bouquet of breakout wires zip-tied to an accessory cage with receivers, antennas and who knows what else hanging off of it (possibly a battery and transmitter for the NTSC signal from the breakout cable to a wireless monitor receiver).

I have seen a few GoFundMe and similar type projects that seem to be along the lines of what I need, but nothing polished, ready and available. Unless I've missed anything?

One of the coolest things about the ZHIYUN CRANE 2 is that it has integrated camera controls on the handle of the gimbal (like Start/Stop, focus, aperture) and it can be paired through Bluetooth to a controller or smart phone app to control the entire kit-and-kaboodle remotely, awesome! But the control cable that runs between the gimbal and camera only has connection options for Sony (micro USB) and Panasonic (2.5mm minijack). If only there was some way to have a connection adapter for Blackmagic, that would be perfect. Like an adapter that could connect to the expansion port of the BMMCC, then the camera menu could be programmed to understand it.

I would still need a wireless transmitter for the video signal, or a long HDMI cable, but I would have a camera and gimbal system that is (almost) fully remote controllable; where it's pointed, the aperture, focus, start/stop, maybe even white balance and a few other functions. Any thoughts, ideas or solutions are welcome and well-appreciated. Perhaps one of these days when I have more time, I'll buy a soldering iron and see if I can come up with a great custom tool.

P.S. I already wrote this, my inaugural post on this forum, but the site logged me out because I took such a long time composing and proofreading it. So when I pushed "Submit" the site said, "you need to log in" and this applet erased everything I had written, nice guys. In any case, please forgive the lack of zeal and detail in this iteration of the post. If anything needs clarification please feel free to let me know.

Stu Aitken

Re: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera Remote Control

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 7:40 pm

the issue isn't just the HW connector - its also the communication protocol that is used to 'talk' to the camera from the gimbal controller

I suspect the crane might be implementing the more modern proprietary protocols that are available for remote controlling 'prosumer' orientated sony and panasonic cameras specifically rather than a more 'universal' protocol like LANC (which is supported by the BMMCC breakout port)

I could be wrong on this - I dunno if you can email Ziyhan and ask them about it? but suspect that even if you could get the right cable/connector you might be out of luck

Stu Aitken

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 pm

there are available options you can look at that do not use the cranes native control HW though, but instead implement the 'DIY route' you describe

I have done some work on the software side in terms of using an arduino style microprocessor to do the relevant comms using SBUS (PWM is also an option) and you can even use a simple switch to short the connections for certain functions (eg rec run/stop) which is by far the easiest route, but limited in what you can actually control - eg see this video:

The harder thing is the HW side though - building a basic box with buttons is easy enough (and several people sell these) but making something more ergonomic like a more conventional camera grip is a lot more challenging - several of us here are looking at this but only one person even has a working prototype yet - if you search the forum for BMMCC remotes you should fund the relevant posts

try a search for "one little goat" for an example of the simpler boxes currently available to buy

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Phil has his One Little Goat that has. Bluetooth remote application for phones (IOS and Android) that allows wireless remote control. See http://onelittlegoat.com
I have a new in the box Ver 3 available if you are interested, send a PM.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

dreamsphere

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 pm

im still looking myself and dont care to pay $200+ to operate what should already be included with the camera to control the iris. Anyone find anything new? Im about to buy one from cinegearpro.co.uk
Like to find one here in the states esp in CA where I live instead of ordering from the UK or Australia

Denny Smith

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 12:13 am

You can control the Iris on an Auto MFT lens, with the two double arrow buttons on the Micro camera, so Iris control is on the camers. That said, not the most convenient method. The Ursa Mini handle (side grip) can also be used to control the Iris, as a push to set Auto Iris. Also, the Manfrotto and Bebob Lanc remote’s will control the Iris and lens focus.

You should have spoken up sooner, just sold my Micro SBus Remote (OLG model 3) for $125, located in CA. :(
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dmytro Shijan

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Many people use Ursa handle like this:

It is compatible with my Expansion Box and other BMMCC accessories:
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56186

There is also a thread about different controller options:
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59874

Update:
If ZHIYUN CRANE 2 outputs signal similar to LANC with Panasonic (2.5mm minijack), it may work with custom made cable adapter.
common LANC interface use 3 pole 2.5mm connector and Panasonic use 4 pole 2.5mm connector
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

USAMedia

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 8:10 pm

I have the Ursa Mini handle and it only controls focus and record on my Micro Cinema Cam... not the iris. If only there was a way to assign that button to the iso... at least I would have some more control over light. The little goat guy is not doing the controls any more. He quit! :(
Alex Ramirez
Media Producer/Musician

Brad Hurley

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 8:44 pm

USAMedia wrote:The little goat guy is not doing the controls any more. He quit! :(

I see that his website is down, but when I corresponded with Phil 4-5 months ago he said he had started making them again and was making remotes for other cameras as well (e.g., BMPCC 6K).
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Cinematography