BMPCC Lanc Controller with Focus

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

William Allum

BMPCC Lanc Controller with Focus

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi guys, just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for a cheep / reasonably priced lanc controller for the BMPCC with record and focus function?

I've found this MVR901ECLA RC LANC CLAMP, but it's close to £200!
https://cvp.com/product/manfrotto_mvr901ecla

I really need something where I can control the focus, and then record.

Many thanks.

William Allum

Re: BMPCC Lanc Controller with Focus

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Anyone tried this on the Pocket?

LIBEC ZFC-L ZOOM AND FOCUS CONTROL
https://cvp.com/product/libec_zfc-l_lanc_zoom_focus_control

Thanks.

Denny Smith

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 7:26 pm

I have the Bebob Zoe (no longer in production) controller recommended by BM, and while it can focus the camera via Lanc, it is hit and miss depending on the lens. My best results were with the Panny Leica MFT lenses, with the newer 15mm and 42.5mm (and the new 12-60 Zoom should be in the same ball park) seem to work best. But, that said, there is some lag in the focus, so you need to release the focus rocker before you get to the focus point. With a little practice it works, but not great. BM only recommended the Zoe and the Manfrotto Lanc remotes for the Pocket camera.

Another option, that works with the Micro cameras, but I have not tested this with the Pocket (I sold mine when I got the Micro Camera) is the Ursa Mini grip that has a Lanc Remote on it for start/stop, push to focus and push to set auto iris. This works in the Micro like the push to focus and iris buttons in the Pocket camera, which the Micro cameras lack. You can use the grip on a long Lanc cable, does not need to be mounted to the camera.

If you need a true remote controlled camera, where you can accurately pull focus. Set the iris at the f/stop you want, change frame rates Pm etc, then I would upgrade to a Micro Cinema Camera (good used ones come up for around $700-800 occasionally), which has full SBus Remote capability. You can add a One Little Goat remote and use a IOS/Android Remote application on to control the camera, or just use an ext. SBus cable to have the camera tethered. Send me a PM for details.

For a comparison, see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53515
For a list of working Lanc and SBus Controlelrs (the Lanc controllers listed for the Micro will also work with the Pocket): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59874&p=351363&hilit=SBus+controller#p351363
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 am

If anyone is insrested, I have a new Bebob Zoe available, it was a replacement repair from Bebob. PM me for details.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank Glencairn

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 am

I'm pretty happy with this here, plus it's wireless: https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/20 ... er-review/
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Yes Frank, the DigiPin is a sweet Lanc setup.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

William Allum

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks Denny and Frank! Very helpful. :)

The micro camera was quite tempting, but I think if I were to change cameras again, I’d want the 4K version but with internal recording. So I guess I’ll have to wait and see what blackmagic come out with next. Out of interest, do either of you know if the metabones bmpcc speedbooster also works on the micro?

Frank, the wireless system intrigues me. I did see it before, but I wasn’t sure it supported the pocket. But if they say so on the official website, it’s definitly intriguing, but a little over my price range. How is focusing? Is it fairly responsive, or does it have issues? I’m very tempted.

Many thanks guys.

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:59 pm

Yes, the BMPCC Speed Booster works on the Micro Cameras, and is the correct SB to use. I use mine on my Micro Cinema Camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

William Allum

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Great, thanks Denny.

Return to Cinematography