Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Creating STMaps

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

trackster

Creating STMaps

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 1:51 am

Hi! I'm brand new to Fusion, but I've been using Nuke for a while now. I've hit a roadblock in trying to create an STMap equivalent in Fusion.

I've read through other posts that have had similar issues, but I haven't seen a solution yet. I need the STMap .exr to pass between Fusion and Nuke to undistort and redistort my renders and footage properly for tracking in 3DEqualizer and Maya. (Clients use Nuke, but I can't afford it so I'm trying to do all of my work in Fusion and pass off the distortion to them via an STMap so they can render their CG). Basically, Fusion creates its "Output Distortion Map" as a swirl, but I need it to be a nice UV gradient to work properly in Nuke. How do I go from the swirl to the gradient?

I've been trying to replicate this tutorial ("STMap roughcut" on Youtube), but when I try adding the expression "1/Input.Width" to my Displace node at the end of the chain, I get an error that says "Displace1 cannot get Parameter for X Refraction at time 0". I feel like I'm really close to getting what I need, but I can't figure it out.

I'm getting pretty frustrated here, so any help would be amazingly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Creating STMaps

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:00 pm

What does it mean that Fusion creates a swirl? What are the values in the two vector channels? If Nuke side understands what the values express, it shouldn't be difficult to modify it properly for STMap use.
I do stuff.

Bryan Ray

Re: Creating STMaps

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 pm

try "1/self.Input.Width" for your expression. There was a small change to expressions with Fusion 9.

I haven't looked at the tutorial, and I've never tried to exchange distortion maps between Nuke and Fusion, so that's as much as I can offer on this topic at this time.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion