manual focus not sensitive enough

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jan Schubert

manual focus not sensitive enough

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:48 am

Hi.

I would just have a general question. The manual focus for most of the af lenses nowadays are not sensitive enough. Which means to set the focus manually i have to rotate it almost to 900 degree or even more.

So i was wondering if there is something like a tool which helps me to get the manual focus a bit more sensitive? I tried to google for such kind of a tool but couldn`t find anything. I thought its kind of a focusring, but that wouldn`t change the sensitivity, i still would rotate to 900 degree i guess?

Thanks
Jan

Tommaso Alvisi

Re: manual focus not sensitive enough

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 am

are you talking about m43 lenses right?

Jan Schubert

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:42 am

Hi. Yep, mft lenses. Not sure if its over two rotation but old lenses like my old canon fd lens is so much easier to use manual focus.

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:47 am

MFT lenses are focus by wire, whereas your old FD lenses are true mechanical manual focus, so yes, there is a difference in the feel and performance.
Cherrs
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Kim’s SBus Remote controls the focus on most MFT lenses very nicely on the Micro cameras (works with both a Cinema and Studio versions), and works with the new Micro FW 7.x even better. All,the switches are assignable to whatever SBus control feature that is available. This is the most rugged and easiest to use of all the SBus controllers I have tested. Works great, and not too big either.

Also, I have tested Kim’s SBus controller with the PixE Monitor/Recorder and the big red record button will start and stop the PixE via SBus to SDI out from the Camera, a nice bonus with the new camera firmware update.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography