VHS capture with BlackMagic MediaExpress

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

ryfkah

VHS capture with BlackMagic MediaExpress

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi all -- we're trying to set up a VHS capture station and having no luck getting our BlackMagic to recognize the signal. I suspect the signal coming straight out of our VHS deck simply isn't stable enough and we will have to introduce a TBC and sync generator into the workflow, but I wanted to make sure we're not making any kind of elementary mistake in our settings. I've attached some images of the way that we have our UltraStudio Express configured. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Attachments
blackmagic settings.png
blackmagic settings.png (157.95 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
blackmagic settings 2.png
blackmagic settings 2.png (138.74 KiB) Viewed 6248 times

Christian Paire

Re: VHS capture with BlackMagic MediaExpress

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:31 pm

Hello, I'm old and can't read your images :) Anyway what ever analog you send to Black Magic must be stab first ; but the fantastic sd video recorder now eol that can read almost all : jelly, sand, light lybian, vhs :)

Xtreemtec

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:06 pm

We just had last week the same discussion.. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49142
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Colin Barrett

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 2:43 pm

ryfkah wrote:Hi all -- we're trying to set up a VHS capture station and having no luck getting our BlackMagic to recognize the signal. I suspect the signal coming straight out of our VHS deck simply isn't stable enough and we will have to introduce a TBC and sync generator into the workflow, but I wanted to make sure we're not making any kind of elementary mistake in our settings.

One of my video capture workstations uses UltraStudio Express at its heart and I really like it. Such a pity that Blackmagic has discontinued it!

The key to this, and all other forms of capture from videotape where BM products is concerned, is that video signals MUST be timebase-corrected first as they'll most likely reject the input. This is characterised by the appearance of a black screen (I call it the "Doh...." screen!!).

NOTE TO BLACKMAGIC DESIGN PRODUCT PERSONNEL:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make our lives easier by introducing a robust, low-cost Timebase Corrector into your product range - perhaps in the "Mini Converters" range! I'd buy more than one and I'm sure lots of others would too.

Without such a device, I maintain that you're guilty of mis-representation because the implication is that your digital capture products will do the job on their own. They won't - and don't. I know!!!!
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Wim Van Schie

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 3:04 pm

I agree.

Some of BMD's product input circuits (such as the H264 Pro Recorder, Teranex 2D, and DL 4K Extreme) , are based on the ADV7842 chip which has TBC functionality - however it requires additional memory chips to enable the TBC functionality.

Please BMD, there is a market need for a analogue video capable TBC with line and field/frame correction capabilities.

shidoshi

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 3:52 am

Any luck or updates on this TBC / Frame sync issue? This is an older thread, just curious.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 1:06 am

shidoshi wrote:Any luck or updates on this TBC / Frame sync issue? This is an older thread, just curious.

I've always advised people trying to capture (or uprez) VHS material to find a JVC BR-S822 or a Panasonic AG-7750. When the JVC was released in the early 1990s, I told everybody, "this is the best VHS machine ever made," and I think it still wears that crown (albeit now as an antique). Both have built-in full-fledged TBCs and can do a remarkable job playing back old VHS tapes, provided a) the heads on the VCR are still good, and b) the tapes are SP speed. If they're LP or EP, you'll have to get something like a Panasonic AG-1980, which is a very rudimentary TBC in it but will play back the oddball speeds.

I've seen used JVC BR-S822 and Panasonic AG-7750's going for about $200-$250 on eBay in years past, and owned two different 822's. They're built like tanks, very solid, but again the key is to make sure the heads are still good. A trip to the service shop may be necessary to make sure they're still in alignment with the factory standard.

There are also good companies out there specializing in capturing analog videotapes to digital, and I can get you a llst if you need them. It's cheaper to do it yourself, but there's always value in hiring a real pro to take care of things like this.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostThu May 11, 2023 1:05 am

Wim Van Schie wrote:I agree.

Some of BMD's product input circuits (such as the H264 Pro Recorder, Teranex 2D, and DL 4K Extreme) , are based on the ADV7842 chip which has TBC functionality - however it requires additional memory chips to enable the TBC functionality.

Please BMD, there is a market need for a analogue video capable TBC with line and field/frame correction capabilities.

Yes, there is a HUGE market for it imo. Thousands and thousands of people looking to archive their old VHS. I'll say millions...

I spent days and days researching the subject. All the good VCR (working) with TBC are so rare, and cost a lot. There are ways to use DVD recorder as pass through, but it's the same thing, finding one device, that work, is a pain.

External devices are even more difficult to find, like the the ADVC 110.
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Return to Post Production