Anyone an idea for editing while record?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Robert Betzner

Anyone an idea for editing while record?

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi,

I have a project coming up where we need a software solution on one Windows machine that is able to continously record an incoming HD-SDI signal and while that recording is still running an editor should be able to edit highlight reels on the same machine and export them as H264 for web-upload.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Is there any editing app out there that can do this?

I know that audio guys are lucky because they have an app called Sequoia - that can do exactly that. Continously record one or more audiotracks while editing these clips at the same time. But I need that for video.

Cheers

Robert

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Anyone an idea for editing while record?

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Are you saying you want to be able to edit the video that is being recorded, as it is being recorded?

Very tough, as the confusion as to how long the clip is will throw everything into chaos.

We used to have live recording coming from a truck, and we could access it on the avid shared server as it was coming in, and it would expand as it came in, but that was a pretty elaborate setup. Certainly not a "1 windows box" solution.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 3:58 pm

Find a recording program that will make a new file every 5 or 10 minutes.. And import that into your edit software..

Running both on the same machine.. I dont know.. I think your editing will get very slow..
But you could do 1 machine capturing into a Share like Dropbox or some of those automated sync software.. And sync to a drive in your editing machine. So every 5 / 10 minutes you will have the data from about 20 minutes or so back.. (Depending on how fast the sync is..)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 4:55 pm

There are solutions like this and most NLEs supports it. Premiere supports it, Edius. AVIDI think. There are some limitations like codec/wrapper but many are supported, so it can be done.
It has to be done with capture software which is written to do so (so it doesn't lock the file). Tools On Air for example supports it. What would be the best is to capture/edit inside editing software itself so you just need 1 app, but I don't think eg. Premiere does it this way.
Normally this is a premium feature, so costs more than standard capture.

Asgeir Hustad

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:02 pm

If you have serious budget, get an EVS or equivalent.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 9:38 pm

I think this is overkill :)

Return to Post Production