Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Noob question : cropping

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Yannis Drici

Noob question : cropping

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am

Hello there !

So I've been searching on youtube, on forums and by myself and i didn't find anything that answered my specific case. I guess that it has already been asked but I can't find it so if it's the case just drop the link to the topic and excuse me.

So I was trying to put a shaking camera effect on an image that doesn't occupy all the screen (that's the cover of my album, over a background). I started from Davinci and made a Fusion connect clip. I cropped the sides of the image in Davinci to have no black parts around it to have the background behind, but the problem is that when i connect it in Fusion it goes again with the black background that fills the whole screen (in Fusion). And when i render it back to Davinci, black background is still there.

I tried to crop it, after the render, with Davincvi but whenever it shakes, the place where the square was initially fills itself with black, not very esthetic.

So please help me :)

Sander de Regt

Re: Noob question : cropping

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 7:43 pm

So is the image you're trying to shake a video file or a still image?
I don't use Resolve, so I don't know if the cropping you do in there transitions over to Fusion.
From the sound of it, it doesn't. No problem. Just crop it again in Fusion or if it's really a still image, just load it into Fusion directly, put it over a BG set to black with an alpha of 0 (so that the new background is transparent) and then do the shaking either in the merge tool or in a transform tool (or use the camera shake tool) and then export the combined result in a codec or image sequence that supports an alpha channel and import it as such back in Resolve.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Yannis Drici

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Hey thanks for your answer ! What do you mean by BG set ?

Yannis Drici

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Oh ok i understood, my bad ! The problem is that with Fusion it only crops one size of the image (it places it on the right or left and then the opposite part remains black)

Sander de Regt

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 pm

MetalGuy wrote:Oh ok i understood, my bad ! The problem is that with Fusion it only crops one size of the image (it places it on the right or left and then the opposite part remains black)

I am not sure what you mean by this.
If you use the 'select' option in the crop tool, you can crop out any part you want.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Bryan Ray

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 6:11 am

The crop tool anchors from the bottom left, unlike most of Fusion's tools, because it deals with actual pixel dimensions rather than relative screen coordinates. You can use the offset sliders to adjust where the final image is positioned in the crop region, or you can enable the Keep Centered checkbox to keep the image centered in the region, as you might expect. While Keep Centered is on, the offset controls will not work.

Regarding the 'select' option, Sander: Are you perhaps thinking of the CropRectangle Fuse instead of the normal Crop tool?
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Kristof Indeherberge

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 7:52 am

I think he refers to the "allow box selection" button that appears in the toolbar to the left of your buffer when you active or select the crop tool. It will let you draw a box to crop to and resolves all settings and offsets for you.

Actually, the origin is always at the bottom left of your screen, so the crop tool is just as consistent. It just happens that your transform tool for example comes with ( 0.5, 0.5 ) pre-set, that's all.

Yannis Drici

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks for answers, now I can do it :)

Bryan Ray

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Kristof Indeherberge wrote:I think he refers to the "allow box selection" button that appears in the toolbar to the left of your buffer when you active or select the crop tool.

I'd never even noticed that button!
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion