Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCIe Black/Green Screen

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jantheman

Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCIe Black/Green Screen

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 10:27 am

Hello,

I have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCIe(not 4k) that i am not able to capture through HDMI. I will only get a Black (or green) screen. If i tinker with the settings or disconnect/connect i can get the picture visible for a split of an second but then goes back to black/green.

My preference would also to have a Kramer VM-2Hxl 1:2 HDMI distribution between. I have tried with and without the Kramer unit but same result.

Could someone help me with the settings in the blackmagic software and the DVR. The DVR is used for upscaling retro-consoles/computers from composite/svideo to HDMI. If i use a TV/Monitor with the DVR+HDMI there is no problem.

Source Device is Pioneer DVR-LX60 with HDMI. Latest firmware on the unit.
lx60.jpg
lx60.jpg (50.7 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

DVR-LX60 Settings:
dvrsettings.jpg
dvrsettings.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

Regards
JanMan

Jack Fairley

Re: Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCIe Black/Green Screen

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Sounds like an HDCP issue to me.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 1:55 am

Yes, what Jack said. You might be better off with a BM Mini Analog to SDI Converter and connect to a SDI/HDMI Converter, and by pass the DVR issues.

Also, Video color space is YCbCR, 4.2.2, not RGB, which is mainly used by computer monitors.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jantheman

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 9:20 pm

hi, and thanks for your replies.

I got a picture/capture using component video, with 625i50PAL as Video Standard in Blackmagic Capture Settings, anything else yielded in a black picture.

How much "worse" in quality for vintage computer/console captures would it be to use above settings instead of HDMI ?

There is a drawback using the component video. I will not be able to use the Scart input with RGB... a technical limitation in the DVR.

Something I noticed though, there is a HDMI indicator(LED) on the DVR. It is lit when a HDMI monitor/splitter is connected(and i get a picture). When I connect it to the Blackmagic the HDMI indicator stays off. Is there a reason the Blackmagic card doesn't communicate(?)/"bring the led up" ?. I am not sure how the HDMI protocol(?) works. I am on a thin ice when it comes to details about HDMI :)

Any ideas or feedback is appreciated.

Regards
Jan

Jack Fairley

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 pm

The DVR is using HDCP to prevent you from using an external capture device to record playback from DVDs and such, this method will never work for you for capture over HDMI. Analog video does not have such protections.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

jantheman

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am now using component for capture and hdmi for displaying it on external monitor.

Works great. Just had to find the correct settings for BMI software. (625i PAL). It did not like progressive output on the component, just got a black screen.

Regards
JM

Return to Getting Started