BMPCC Battery Meter using off camera power

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

laurenlentini

BMPCC Battery Meter using off camera power

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 8:57 pm

I have resorted to using a Sony NP-960/970 off camera power solution and as a result, the camera no longer meters battery life. It remains at 100% until the battery is drained. Is this a known issue?

Pavel Lavrov

Re: BMPCC Battery Meter using off camera power

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 9:26 pm

laurenlentini wrote:I have resorted to using a Sony NP-960/970 off camera power solution and as a result, the camera no longer meters battery life. It remains at 100% until the battery is drained. Is this a known issue?

Do you have internal battery in the camera while using external power solution?

Can you explain in more detail your problem. Because it sounds like you expect camera to show the battery percentage of the external battery....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pavel L

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC Battery Meter using off camera powers

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 5:17 am

The camera battery indicator only shows the charge remaining at the current rate of amp. draw of the internal battery, not any external battery. If you have an internal battery in the camera, and when the indicator starts to drop, you know the external battery has less power remaining than the internal battery, and it is time to swap out the external battery. Simple!
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ade Walker

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 9:41 am

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but Google led me here. :)

A couple of questions re the BMPCC battery power:

1. Does the battery indicator only monitor the internal battery? I think the answer is yes, but just want to be sure.
2. When using an external power source (I use the Juicebox Magic box), what are the pros and cons of leaving the internal battery in place?
3. If I leave the internal battery in place and have the Magic Box switched on, is the Magic Box charging the internal battery? Probably a silly question - so be gentle if it is. :)

Thanks!

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm

I would leave (and did when I had a Pocket camera) the internal battery in, start with a fully charged battery. The. If the external'piwer dies, the camera will continue to,work on the internal battery while you sort out the external supply. If the k terns battery drops below it minimum voltage threashold, it will charge off the external battery (camera does not know what the power source is from the external connection.

Yes, battery meter is only for internal battery, when connected to external power , it changes this display to indicate this.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ade Walker

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 5:48 am

Thanks, Denny!

Return to Cinematography