Ursa Mini Pro - future

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cinemaoptics

Ursa Mini Pro - future

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 8:04 am

I love the wide gamut cinema DNG...but will a future version of the Ursa Mini Pro have the option to shoot in ACES color space?

Tim Langston

Re: Ursa Mini Pro - future

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Add 2 more XLR inputs for 4 channels of audio, a little better low light, 6K or 8K recording and I'd jump back in.
Tim Langston
Cryin' Out Loud Productions, Inc.
Fort Wayne, IN

Cinemaoptics

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 3:44 am

6k would be absolutely beautiful as well...but if I had my wish shooting in ACES would be it...low light enhancements would be great too as well as XLR additional inputs... I’m about the color space...lol.

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 pm

You can shoot in raw and do all your post in Resolve in ACES. Is that not sufficient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Rick, that makes too much sense. It's how ACES is supposed to work, after all ;)
:lol:
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 6:50 am

But unfortunately real life is different. Working in ACES full dynamic range and gamut recording would probably need 16 bit plus recording. Aces, however allows you to map and incorporate all the legitimate values which your camera can record. It maybe that using any normal space and recordimg values mapped to that space, might clip off extra values your camera can do. However, it probably will be values that are a bit lop sided in the space too, so manipulation might be needed in color correction. It also would future proof human visible data in the recording. The 16 bits over 12 bits just is a little extra precision in the compression function, which makes it more compressible (probably helps Red's compression in 16 bits). So even if there is no recording version of ACES, there should be.

Currently consumer cameras, and displays shortly, are moving towards HDR rec2020 color space, and high frame rate 3D. What does cinema have to offer, but slightly washed sub dci P3 images, and less than pristine sound? Theatres and Cinema cameras need to offer more for customers. That's the market. Offer pros more to differentiate between lower levels, and give reason to buy better equipment. There are advances in 3D coming, and auto 3D viewing techniques. Cinema needs to invest heavily in tieing up the best auto 3D viewing technology experience in cinema. This means that theatres, studios and camera companies need to throw billions at it to ensure a cinema experience that home cinena can't handle, to ensure another 20 patent years of the industry having something to offer.

So don't knock every advancement people suggest around the place, they might just be part of the thing that keeps things ticking over.

I'm pretty sure Red is planning an 3D filming, and possibly 3D auto viewing. Sony definitely had been working on 3D cameras. What they have planned in screens, I don't know, but holographic displays are under development elsewhere.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Wayne Steven

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 am

But I think there are a lot that don't have the right idea (a real idea) don't realise this stuff, and what is going to happen that will be worse than the transition from still cameras and camcorders to mobile phone video, that can make them loose massive amounts of money and go bankrupt.
They go along in the moment, feeling wonderful with inevitable doom coming towards them, not thinking of what's truely up ahead, wrapped up in their own little wishfully self fullfilling prophecy.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Return to Cinematography