Magenta Tint

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Magenta Tint

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 11:49 am

Hey guys,

Check out this clip and go to 18 seconds in and look at the rim of the brown horses's nose. This is some footage I got with my URSA Mini Pro. There is a magenta tinge there which is a lot more noticeable in the uncompressed file as opposed to YouTube's compressed version. I have specifically noticed this when using the built in ND filters and when I aim the camera at a bright sky, but now with this clip it seems to show that the magenta can pop up at any time. What gives? And what can I do about it other than spam green through the image in post?

I'm guessing this is why a "10 tint" setting is the default option that is set on the URSA Mini Pro and was used during the commercial Blackmagic produced for the camera.

Many thanks,
James

roger.magnusson

Re: Magenta Tint

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 4:15 pm

I haven't checked with scopes, but it looks like one or more RGB channels clipped since the highlights are overexposed.

Regarding +10 tint, more info here. But the values may need to be changed to calibrate your particular camera.

James McDonagh

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:17 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I haven't checked with scopes, but it looks like one or more RGB channels clipped since the highlights are overexposed.

Regarding +10 tint, more info here. But the values may need to be changed to calibrate your particular camera.

Hi Roger thanks for your reply. I do not think this has anything to do with overexposure as Im reviewing my footage that I took while at a park which was covered in a blanket of snow and none of the shots are overexposed yet there is the appearance of a magenta tint in the sky and all around the silhouttes of the people in the park.

Kyle Gordon

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:25 pm

That magenta edging is called chromatic aberration, and it's an artifact of the lens, not the camera.
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

James McDonagh

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:43 pm

Kyle Gordon wrote:That magenta edging is called chromatic aberration, and it's an artifact of the lens, not the camera.

I see. Thank you very much for the clarification. Do you have any advice on how to counter it on set or in post or are all lens artifacts pretty much final?

Keith Babineaux

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:11 pm

James McDonagh wrote:
Kyle Gordon wrote:That magenta edging is called chromatic aberration, and it's an artifact of the lens, not the camera.

I see. Thank you very much for the clarification. Do you have any advice on how to counter it on set or in post or are all lens artifacts pretty much final?

CA on lens is final. You can't fix it in post. You'll have to use different lens. Which lens is that? I'll make sure to avoid it in the future.
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University

James McDonagh

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Keith Babineaux wrote:
James McDonagh wrote:

CA on lens is final. You can't fix it in post. You'll have to use different lens. Which lens is that? I'll make sure to avoid it in the future.

rokinon cine lenses

roger.magnusson

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Oh, I'm talking about another artefact, sorry. I couldn't watch anything else after seeing it. :)

Horse R239, G255, B255.jpg
Horse R239, G255, B255.jpg (99.4 KiB) Viewed 3367 times

The white horse is cyan because the green and blue channels are clipped. RGB values 239,255,255

James McDonagh

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Oh, I'm talking about another artefact, sorry. I couldn't watch anything else after seeing it. :)

Horse R239, G255, B255.jpg

The white horse is cyan because the green and blue channels are clipped. RGB values 239,255,255

Oh wow, thank you! That makes sense... so basically it's because of too much light flooding the sensor? That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

Earl R. Thurston

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm

James McDonagh wrote:... so basically it's because of too much light flooding the sensor?

Or possibly the colour correction, grading or LUT mapped this area into overexposure. If this was shot RAW it's possible there is more sensor data available for highlight recovery than was used in this output.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Since we are using Bayer patterns in our sensors, it's quite possible to saturate one group of photo cells and not the others if any color has much more energy than the rest. Remember the infamous pink highlights?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ric Murray

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 9:28 pm

James,

Not trying to haunt you here, but this goes back to the other thread "Cinematography Case Study". Once the sensor gets flooded or clipping occurs all kinds of things go off the rails. Simple solution is to use the histogram and expose for the highlights, light (or fill) for the shadows, and adjust the Gamma in software, either Premiere or Resolve or anything else you like. The LCD is there for composition & framing, It's not a calibrated monitor.
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

James McDonagh

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Ric Murray wrote:James,

Not trying to haunt you here, but this goes back to the other thread "Cinematography Case Study". Once the sensor gets flooded or clipping occurs all kinds of things go off the rails. Simple solution is to use the histogram and expose for the highlights, light (or fill) for the shadows, and adjust the Gamma in software, either Premiere or Resolve or anything else you like. The LCD is there for composition & framing, It's not a calibrated monitor.

Hi Ric,

Don't worry about haunting me I sincerely appreciate all the feedback and help! Thank you for your input. As you could see on this thread some people thought that the magenta was an artifact from the lens and not a product of overexposure. I'm glad to hear everyone's opinons and thoughts thank you :)

Kyle Gordon

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 5:22 pm

It depends what you're talking about.

The purple fringe on the brown horses nose where it meets with the white behind it is chromatic aberration from the lens. The cyan tint of the white horse behind is color channels clipping.
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

Return to Cinematography