Serious problems to import AAF correctly

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Martin Raw

Serious problems to import AAF correctly

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 2:11 am

Hi, my task is to do some Vfx on a sequence of a short(30min). In order not to set up every shot with its ins and outs by hand, I decided to use Resolve for its 'Connect to Fusion' ability.
I imported the AAF and when I checked with an imported mp4 of the movie I found out nothing was matching. I tried a lot and ended up in manually matching a reference frame and adjusting the Timeline start, so: TC is matching, Reference Frame is matching, everything is on 24fps. There's nothing that could could wrong, right?

But no. Reference frame still matches, but there is offset nonetheless. And there is one clip in the beginning I noticed, which is entirely misplaced and also- very strange- mirrored.

The footage is 24fps from alexa and amira and the aaf comes from Avid. Any ideas on this is greatly appreciated! I just lost my mind on this
Attachments
is.jpg
is.jpg (90.24 KiB) Viewed 978 times
shouldbe.jpg
shouldbe.jpg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 978 times

Nathan Morgan

Re: Serious problems to import AAF correctly

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 2:56 am

Conform issues can be tough and it would be hard to guess what is going wrong without seeing your project and media, one thing to mention (though it might be off topic) if your only reason to go to resolve is to use Fusion connect would you ever consider just staying in Avid and using the fusion connect plug-in for Avid?
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Martin Raw

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am

A starting point, a few things that I could check? Actually I didn't even know that there is a Avid Fusion Plugin, but it's no help: I'm not the editor and I don't have Avid. But thank you very much.

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:39 pm

In an Avid->Resolve conform I have found that the Reel Name tends to be key. How are you extracting your reel names? That is where I would focus to start.
Desktop Video 12.0

Martin Raw

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, Nathan. I'm a 3d artist in the animation industry. I have worked before with Resolve but it's far from a daily routine.
I created a new Project, imported the footage and put everything to a smart bin, then I imported an EDL, but this was obviously a mess. Then I got the aaf-file. I imported this, it found the footage I got and I thought: cool; done! Later on I discovered that the edit is not correct.

Does this answer your question of how I extract the reel names?

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 9:03 pm

It sounds like you did not tell resolve where to get the reel name info.

Take a peek at page 78 of the manual, it will give you info on the reel name extraction options.

In order for the conform to work properly the name in the reel name column will need to match the reel name in your edit index.
Desktop Video 12.0

Martin Raw

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks. I double checked everything- it looks fine now. I still don't know why manual adjusting was necessary.
Anyways: Big thanks, Nathan!

Return to DaVinci Resolve