Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Big problems in Fusion 9.0.1

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kel Philm

Big problems in Fusion 9.0.1

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 5:48 am

I am getting towards the end of my tether with Fusion Studio 9.0.1, I am using it pretty intensively on some jobs at the present and need to work fast but I am experiencing a crash about every 20 mins.

I cant even establish a pattern, it bombs in flow view, it bombs during rendering, it bombs doing nothing, and pretty much doing anything.

I have turned off Open CL, upgraded/downgraded the Bios, Chipset, GPU drivers and have tried everything I can think of to get it working, but with no improvement.

Whilst some of the bugs were fixed going from 9.0 to 9.0.1 it feels like there is a whole new lot that are just debilitating.

This same PC spends most evenings rendering (CPU 100%), editing and never crashes but Fusion is just a mess. Does anyone have any thoughts? (I wish there was a log, how on earth they can expect to diagnose anything I don't know) I have given up on 'Support' here in Australia, they don't even reply.

Is there anyone out there who is using 9.0.1 on paid jobs 30+ hours a week without any problems?

Fusion Studio
Win 10 Pro
GTX 1080
64GB Ram
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Last edited by Kel Philm on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene Afanasiev

Re: Big problems in Fusion 9.0.1

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 am

I confirm - I am experiencing a crash in 5 min or less with 9.0.1, even 9.0 was more stable, though slower.
We use it on a tv series very intensly well at least try to. I've set up to autosave itself each second!
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Sander de Regt

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 am

Is there anyone out there who is using 9.0.1 on paid jobs 30+ hours a week without any problems?

I'm on 20+ hours right now, with only the occasional crash (every 2 hours or so) working with 4K footage on a 5 year old Win 7 machine.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Shawn Astrom

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 5:02 pm

I also have been using it a ton lately and it is very unstable. I have turned off Open CL and that has helped out tremendously but I still get lots of crashing.

I love Fusion and I really want to see it succeed but 9.02 needs to be super solid and released soon!

Thanks guys!

- Shawn

Jackreynolds

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 5:12 pm

I, too, have frequent crashing, without any particular item that causes the crash. Just general work causes it. I also tried to downgrade to Fusion 8, however it crashes on startup.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1
Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 2GB AMD Raden R9 M370X 16GB RAM

nick cremers

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 7:20 pm

The crashes are a major letdown.
I bought studio 2 weeks ago and wanted to work with it on bigger comp jobs but even if the software is just open and I am working for a moment with another program it manages to crash.
That is just unacceptable, you have a great piece of software here, don't let it be a letdown!
Fix it!!!

Sander de Regt

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi Nick,

(Cremers sounds Dutch, are you?)

We'll definitely need a little more info than this if we're to provide meaningful help, even though we're all just users like yourself.

The best way to fix things is by letting BMD know what it is that needs fixing. Create reproducable steps that make Fusion crash, tell them what system you use, what OS etc. This will all help in getting things fixed eventually.

Like I said before:
I'm on 20+ hours a week right now, with only the occasional crash (every 2 hours or so) working with 4K footage on a 5 year old Win 7 machine.

So there must be something either in the way Fusion is set up on your machine, or the specific tools you're using that makes it crash more often than on my system. Let's figure out what that is and *then* it can be fixed.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

nick cremers

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 7:12 am

(Cremers sounds Dutch, are you?

Ja ik ben nederlander;p
But the truth is that I do not have a lot of info to give. It just crashes.
I installed an exr splitter script and did some basic color corrections. I havent touched fusion for a while so just getting back into it.
But the crashes happen sometimes when I am not using it for a moment. A collegue of mine also has a lot of crashes and he has not one macro or script indtallled that could cause this.
I dont know how to translate this into usefull information so any suggestion is nice.

Cheers,

Nick

Aurore de Blois

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 4:37 pm

sending a comp to Steve roberts is always going to help track it down :D
i understand the frustration this can create when you are working- like Sander says, reproducable steps is one thing... but if it just 'always' crashes, sending what you're working with makes a difference.
in my experience, fusion 'just plain crashing when you haven't done anything at all' indicates either a corrupt node or something in the system doing it.

i have the latest fusion studio on a machine with near similar specs to your own [titan card not a 1080] and the only thing killing it seems to be very old fbx files from ten years ago- otherwise it has been very stable.
MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro
Intel CM238 i7-7920 HQ CPU@3.10 GHz
DDR4-2400 (64GB)
1x M.2 SSD (SATA)
2x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA)
1x 2.5" SATA HDD
GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Sander de Regt

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 pm

nick cremers wrote:(Cremers sounds Dutch, are you?

Ja ik ben nederlander;p
But the truth is that I do not have a lot of info to give. It just crashes.
I installed an exr splitter script and did some basic color corrections. I havent touched fusion for a while so just getting back into it.
But the crashes happen sometimes when I am not using it for a moment. A collegue of mine also has a lot of crashes and he has not one macro or script indtallled that could cause this.
I dont know how to translate this into usefull information so any suggestion is nice.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,
you can always contact me through PM so we can talk about this a bit in het Nederlands, maybe that can help in pinning down stuff.
Most likely it has something to do with your Open CL settings, because those are quite often the culprit with 9.x crashes. Also if it happens if you're not doing anything, that could also mean you run out of memory. There could be a memory leak that floods your available memory, causing the crash.
Are you using the most recent version of the EXR splitter from the wesuckless forum?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sjur Pollen

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Same thing here... No apparent pattern. Fusion just shuts down. It does not hang or produce any error message, just 'disappears' from the screen all out of a sudden. Happens regularly. I've disabled open CL.
http://www.sjurpollen.com

Ryan Bloomer

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

I've held off adding to this thread, as I was hoping I could track down a repeatable pattern that causes the crashing. But I'm at a loss. Fusion 9.01 just seams to crash randomly without warning in an unpredictable patter or operation order.

Kristof Indeherberge

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Kel Philm wrote:Is there anyone out there who is using 9.0.1 on paid jobs 30+ hours a week without any problems?

Paid job, well over 30 hours a week, only Fusion 9.0.1. Without any problems? No. Was it completely random? Far from it. There is a pattern in those crashes. But unfortunately, you need to use workarounds to get the shot done.

OpenCL is under control: either you have a graphics card that plays nice and you're ok, or you are out of luck and need to manage anything OpenCL related. Keep in mind that a comp's settings will override those of your prefs. So you might be opening a comp that has OpenCL acceleration turned on, even though you just set your general prefs to off.

The biggest problem is running out of memory _depending_ on the nodes you have in your comp. It's not always the case. In some instances, I was forced to close Fu because I couldn't flush the memory within the application and it wasn't respecting the caching limit. As the renderfarm I had to my disposal didn't have GPUs, I was forced to render my shots locally and had to keep an eye on the cache.

Ryan Bloomer

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks Kristof,

Running out of memory on GPU or RAM? I've never had a comp get over 60% RAM chache when I would have crashes.

Is there a way to visually monitor the GPU cache? Running out of GPU memory would make sense with comps crashing and then reopening and the same process not causing the crash again as the GPU cache would then be flushed.

Kel Philm

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 pm

This could also explain why render nodes appear to be more stable as I would think they have less GPU interaction (No user interface to worry about). I also think Fusion crashes less when I dont have muy 3D software running. 100@ speculation though.

Kristof Indeherberge

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Ryan Bloomer wrote:Thanks Kristof,

Running out of memory on GPU or RAM? I've never had a comp get over 60% RAM chache when I would have crashes.

Is there a way to visually monitor the GPU cache? Running out of GPU memory would make sense with comps crashing and then reopening and the same process not causing the crash again as the GPU cache would then be flushed.

Hi Ryan,

RAM, not GPU. Sorry for the confusion.

The renderfarm issue is something specific for the company I was working for. It just forced me to render locally, which in turn made the memory flooding more apparent and something to look out for.

Some comps flushed fine, others didn't. I didn't get to identify the nodes yet unfortunately.

Bruno Simoes

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 11:25 am

I have tons of crashes using Fusion too.

Just clicking the OpenCL pane crashes it every time, so I can't even try turning it off!!!

I'm on a Mac Pro 12 Core, macOS Sierra, NVidia Quadro 4000

Jackreynolds

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I am still running into issues in 9.0.2. Is there a way I can post a log file to help solve this?

michael vorberg

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 8:14 pm

Bruno Simoes wrote:I have tons of crashes using Fusion too.

Just clicking the OpenCL pane crashes it every time, so I can't even try turning it off!!!

I'm on a Mac Pro 12 Core, macOS Sierra, NVidia Quadro 4000

there are several threads about this issue here

1) delete your preferences file
2) (re)install a (new) graphics driver

Return to Fusion