Shortcut doesn't work until I click inside timeline window

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mp14mp14

Shortcut doesn't work until I click inside timeline window

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm switching my editing from FCP and Premiere to Davinici, everytihng was prety easy, (would love to have a custom layout but I can live without it) but there is a problem that is making my work really slow compare to premiere, and it's some kind of reaction on the window selection timeline, and I can't figure out.

I created all my shortcuts the way I use them in premiere, I can go back, forward, clip to clip, select clip, cut split a clip, nudge up to another track (that one couldn't customize) but the problem is that in the middle of the editing, sometimes the cut doesn't work anymore and I need to grab my mouse and hit a click anywhere insde the timeline. this is driving me crazy.

I guess is must be some kind of active/deactive window for the timeline, but I'm not doing anything to switch out of the timeline window. Any ideas?

thanks

John Paines

Re: Shortcut doesn't work until I click inside timeline wind

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:08 pm

The likeliest explanation is that you've got a clip selected somewhere on the timeline. Clip selection is unusually persistent in Resolve; actions which would release clip selection in (for example) Premiere won't have any effect in Resolve. Clip selection also governs where editing operations can take place. You could split a selected clip, but split won't work on any other clip, as long as that selection remains.

When you click the edit area, you release the selection. Clip selection design seems to drive a lot of people crazy (I'm one of them).

mp14mp14

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks John, it must be that. I wasn't paying attention to the selection since the split at premiere is at the position of the playhead.

Agree on the way selection works in davinci, I like to go fast forward and back in a timeline that is only for visualization. I do all the preselection there and cut fast in and outs of the clips into another tracks. But in Davinci when I select a clip to move it up one track (good take) and then keep playing forward the next time I want to move my playhead back one clip to prepare in and outs of a good take instead of going back from the playhead it goes one clip back from the old selection I did.

John Paines

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 pm

It's a kludge at best, but this Autohotkey script

SetTitleMatchMode, 1
#IfWinActive, DaVinci Resolve
^\::
Send, +^{a}
Send, ^{\}
exit

will force the cut command (ctrl+\) to issue a deselect command before it "cuts".
Last edited by John Paines on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mp14mp14

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 pm

I'll give it a try, Thanks a lot!

Return to DaVinci Resolve