Any tip for mixed timelines resolution ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mp14mp14

Any tip for mixed timelines resolution ?

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm

I'm new to davinci editing, used for a couple of weeks, loved and I just bought the studio version a few days ago.
Loving almost everything, I do missing some features I used to have in FCP and premiere ( I'm talking about just editing of course, not color) but overall I think I'm not going back.

there is something I'm not sure how to do it:
I work with many timelines resolutions in my projects, sometimes even different frame rates.
How is the correct way to manage different timelines resolution size in Davinci?

For example I have 8 or 10 timelines in HD and I need to duplicate them but in square and do some position and scale to frame the scene better.
Do I need to create a different project for each resolution? then finish everything in the HD project and then use dynamic project switching ? or there is an easy way to do it?

Thanks

Jim Simon

Re: Any tip for mixed timelines resolution ?

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 pm

mp14mp14 wrote:I work with many timelines resolutions in my projects

Not any more. :cry:
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mp14mp14

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 11:24 pm

hahaha, ok. Thanks

Marc Wielage

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 am

mp14mp14 wrote:For example I have 8 or 10 timelines in HD and I need to duplicate them but in square and do some position and scale to frame the scene better. Do I need to create a different project for each resolution? then finish everything in the HD project and then use dynamic project switching ? or there is an easy way to do it?

If you need to deliver both a 16x9 version and then a 1x1 version for social media (SnapChat, Facebook, etc.), then I would do all the color in 16x9 with a separate titles layer, then once color is locked, save the project and then save-as a new version identified as 1x1. Change the delivery aspect ratio accordingly and reframe the shots and titles as necessary.

What's surprising is even on some fairly big Hollywood trailers, they don't seem to do a lot of pan/scan for the 1x1 ads. The titles very definitely are sized for that format, but not everything else. Maybe this will change, but I think at the moment it's a time & money thing.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

mp14mp14

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 2:54 am

Thank you Marc, I will do that.
I'm finishing color grading and some stabilization right now, by the way in my opinion stabilizer should be in edit mode instead of color mode but I'm sure there must be a reason why is there.

I'm loving Davinci, Definitely not going back

Marc Wielage

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:13 am

mp14mp14 wrote:I'm finishing color grading and some stabilization right now, by the way in my opinion stabilizer should be in edit mode instead of color mode but I'm sure there must be a reason why is there.

I see your point: stabilization could be either in Edit mode or Color mode or even both. It's interesting that the Transform controls (basically "Edit Resizing") are different than the ones on the Color page as well. It's one of those philosophical design issues, and I think (as a certain politician said not too long ago), "there's good people on both sides" of that argument.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

mp14mp14

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:31 am

My argument would be that if stabilization doesn't fix good enough the clip then I would probably change it with another take.
But I'm new to Davinci and I'm still need to find/adapt my workflow.

Thanks for your help

mp14mp14

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 pm

I just found another reason for the stabilizer to be at edit mode, when doing middle click for copy grade it also copy the stabilization and it scales the image a bit.
That's something I will try to pay attention when copying color from clip to clip.

Kye Leslie

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 1:54 am

Yes - order of processing can be a little strange in DR.

I'm pretty sure that the Stabiliser is applied before the Transform controls in the Edit page.
I have tried to Stabilise difficult clips (with lots of movement) and through that if I did some rough animations in the Transform controls in the Edit window then I could use the Stabiliser to 'fine tune' the remaining movement but nope - it looked like the stabiliser algorithm went straight for the original clip.

The stabiliser acting on the source clip is is also shown if you stabilise a clip, then put it in a Compound Node, then try and Stabilise the Compound Node. What you end up doing is replacing the Stabilisation on the original clip.
I shoot handheld run-and-gun in pretty adverse situations (chasing the kids around!) and so run into ...LARGE... stabilisation challenges!

Return to DaVinci Resolve