cannot run Disk Speed test on SSD

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Coltrane58

cannot run Disk Speed test on SSD

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 am

Is there a reason that Disk Speed Test will not test an SSD drive? It's rather strange, I have a mac mini with an SSD for the main drive and a secondary standard sata drive. When I run DST I get roughly 140 MB/s write and 165 MB/s read. I then select the SSD drive and it states that the drive is read only. I then test just the standard HHD and I get rough 65 MB/s for write and read. So, if the SSD can be tested what is being tested on the first run? It's can't be just the standard drive because that by itself is much slower.

thanks for the feedback

curious

John

Adam Simmons

Re: cannot run Disk Speed test on SSD

PostFri Jun 13, 2014 6:34 am

I can't say for the Mac, but on the PC when you first open up Speed test and go to choose a drive it should have a folder highlighted. That is usually a user folder which has read and write access and it's that folder it performs all it's tests in. When you just choose the drive itself you are trying to access the root of the drive which I assume is locked out. If you go back and choose the original folder that was highlighted you should then be able to perform speed tests again
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Bruce Payan

PostMon Jun 23, 2014 12:27 am

How is the SSD formatted? If it's formatted as NTFS (and not MacOSX journaled), it'll be read-only.

-- bp

Margus Voll

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:27 pm

If your SSD is also system drive then make sure you point the test to my documents folder or user folder.

Pointing directly to os root will fail the test.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

sean mclennan

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 2:14 am

Or run the app in Administrator mode and you'll be fine.

jboycha

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 pm

The test will not go through if you point to the disk. The steps to do the test are as follows:

1) Create a folder in your SSD, and share it with public
2) You will be asked Admin Username & Password
3) Now point your test to that folder and it will work

I tested it on a Mypassport SSD with USB-C interface, and the result was not that impressive for a 5 GB stress test, the SSD was also heated up. But, I think the test was too extreme you would not run the SSD to that stress level. Attached is screenshot, the manufacturer claimed 515MB/s but I got much lower speeds than that. :D :D
Attachments
DiskSpeedTest.png
DiskSpeedTest.png (580.42 KiB) Viewed 21472 times

Return to Post Production