Hyperdeck 12G & Ethernet errors

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dasoundguy

Hyperdeck 12G & Ethernet errors

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:30 pm

We are a rebuild site ... installed ATEM, hyperdeck, 3 manned cams, two unmanned, and 5 stage GoPros, plus a variety of other input devices. We have been operational for a couple of months and tweaking the environment is on-going.

Of concern is the number of errors seen by the switch on the hyperdeck's ethernet connection. The majority of connections are 1Gb full duplex. The hyperdeck wants to operate at 10Mb & half duplex. Over the past 30 days, the error count was over 400,000. I reset that link yesterday and you can see the errors generated in just 12 hours...

Interface TTL Pckts Rcvd W/O Errors Pckts Rcvd W/ Errors Broadcast Pckts Rcvd Pckts transmitted W/O Errors Transmit Packet Errors Collision Frames Time since counters  last cleared

g17 465985 0 0 1248591 111 498 0 day 19 hr 18 min 51 sec

Sooooo, since this is the only device showing an unusually high number of errors, do we have a defective hyperdrive? The environment also contains isolated (VLAN) traffic monsters running DANTE and I may get an error per 1-10 billion (yes, B) packets.

Is the hyperdeck really built to run at 10Mb???

Thanks,
b.
Bryan / Trinity Church

AndyMcHardy

Re: Hyperdeck 12G & Ethernet errors

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Are you forcing the switch port to be 1Gb/full? As 10Mb & half duplex suggests the hyperdeck is failing the negotiate the settings it wants with the switch.
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

Xtreemtec

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 1:48 pm

I think the Ethernet interface is not 10mbit.. There might be something wrong.. Maybe try a different cable.. As a hyperdeck should be able to keep up with the Atem data packets when used as playout device linked trough the atem.. And with 10mbit you would not be able to run a Atem..

Maybe do a little try just a simple cheap netgear switch with 1 meter cable to the Hyperdeck and atem and see if it is still dropping or disconnecting from the Atem.. If so you should contact BMD Support as there might be something wrong with your hyperdeck..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

dasoundguy

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks for the replies ...

The switch is telling me that it is 10mb & half duplex. I reduced the switch to match so it wouldn't negotiate at the higher levels ... which did drop the error counts. It just seemed odd that a "new" device would run at 10 as opposed to 100 or 1G. So that's why I raised the issue to those that might know.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 6:35 am

sounds to me like you have a definite cable issue... maybe some crosstalk with power by going too close from tube lights or something ?

Linden deCarmo

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 pm

dasoundguy wrote:Thanks for the replies ...

The switch is telling me that it is 10mb & half duplex. I reduced the switch to match so it wouldn't negotiate at the higher levels ... which did drop the error counts. It just seemed odd that a "new" device would run at 10 as opposed to 100 or 1G. So that's why I raised the issue to those that might know.

dasoundguy, did you ever solve this problem? I've got a Hyperdeck Studio 12G connected to a Ubiquiti swtich that will only connect at 10 Mbps Half Duplex. I've tried multiple cables and multiple ports on the switch. We also have an ATEM 2 M/E and Camera Control panel on that switch and they both connect at 1Gbps with no issue.

Should the Hyperdeck Studio 12G be connecting at 1 gig also? Uncovered this problem when the ATEM briefly lost connectivity with the Hypedeck Studio 12G during last weekend's service and I see ping packets dropped occasionally when pinging the 12G.

Linden deCarmo

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 2:14 am

BlackMagic support informed me the Hyperdeck Ethernet is 10/100 so a 1000 connection isn't possible. They also said there's a known issue with the 12G right now where it always connects at 10mbps and not 100. Unclear if that increases the likelihood for connectivity issues.

Linden deCarmo

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 2:54 am

Looking at the stats at the switch, I'm seeing Rx errors and Tx Collisions. The collisions are expected given the Hyperdeck connects at half-duplex. I'm guessing some of the Rx errors are expected also, but I'm unsure.

Now that I partially understand what's going on, does anyone know how long the ATEM will wait before it reports that it lost connectivity with the Hyperdeck? It seems longer than one ping timeout.

Linden deCarmo

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 1:40 pm

Please see this thread with updated finding:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140029

Discovered digital intercom traffic is likely the cause of my connectivity issues. Also posted a potential solution.

Return to Live Production