Multiple live cameras streaming through OBS

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Paul Foxton

Multiple live cameras streaming through OBS

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi,

I stream live into facebook and youtube. Currently I use 2 cameras and switch between them with an HDMI splitter.

My current set up is:

Cameras -> HDMI splitter -> Blackmagic Ultrastudio HDMI to Thunderbolt -> Macbook -> OBS

I'd like to be able to have (ideally) three cameras showing in OBS at the same time, rather than switching between them.

Is this possible? Would each need to go into a separate USB port on the Mac? (it only has two, plus the thunderbolt port).

What kit would I need to do it, if indeed it is possible?

Thanks!
Paul

Tim Douglas

Re: Multiple live cameras streaming through OBS

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:44 pm

Yes, if you want control in OBS then separate USB or Thunderbolt ports, although I heard people used to have trouble with their laptop recognising more than one device.

The devices to look at are: UltraStudio Mini Recorder (for Thunderbolt) or the Intensity (for USB 3)

Also, how did you switch with just a splitter, didn't you get like a 1 second delay whenever you switch?

Paul Foxton

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks Tim, much appreciated! I have the Ultrastudio thunderbolt already so will try adding the USB one too. Thanks also for the heads up about the lappy recognising more than one device - if it doesn't work at least I won't be out too much cash.

Yes, there's a delay when I switch - maybe 2 seconds. I just live with it. What's the better way to do it?

Tim Douglas

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 am

The ATEM TVS HD is the best way to go, up to 8 inputs and tons of options. You can control the switching from the laptop too, if you need 3 inputs that's the way to go.

I use the Web Presenter as a basic 2 input switcher, it had a bad launch and seems to be VERY unpopular with pros but I've had no trouble since updating the firmware. As long as your inputs are matched in framerate and resolution you can cut, dissolve or dip to black seamlessly. You can also bring in audio though HDMI, RCA or XLR.

Through USB it limits me to 720p and shows up as a webcam. But if you use it with an UltraStudio Mini Recorder you should be able to do 1080p, though it won't compress the video for you.

But, IF you're laptop can handle it, bringing multiple inputs into OBS will take care of this too. It's worth a shot if you're used to OBS.

Paul Foxton

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am

Brilliant, thanks! I'll try multiple inputs into OBS first I think, the ATEM will stretch my budget somewhat.

You've been really helpful Tim, I appreciate it.

Return to Live Production