How can I remove the sound of wind?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sol33t303

How can I remove the sound of wind?

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 am

In my Media class at school, we are creating a news video about what is happening at our school and we are getting assessed on it. We were placed into teams of four and I'm the editor because I'm the only one in my group with a GPU and because I'm also doing IT I'm familiar with all the different formats, resolutions, GPUs, CPUs, etc. So this is my first time editing.

When we were filming, unfortunately, it was very windy and we were using the phone's mic that we were recording with to also record audio (we were meant to be using a proper mic because one of my friends makes music, but issues occurred). I was thinking I could probably try and emphasize my friend's voice and turn down the volume of the wind but that might make the audio quality worse I would imagine? So how should I go about this?

Any other general information would also be good to know. Thanks :)

Byron Dickens

Re: How can I remove the sound of wind?

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 5:47 pm

A highpass filter might help some, but you are pretty much screwed.

A VST plugin like Izotope RX6 might help a bit more, but they are expensive and tend to overpromise and underdeliver.

Basically, you can't unbake a cake.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 10:24 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Byron Dickens

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 3:07 am

Jim Simon wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Rode-Deadcat-Wind-Microphone-Cover/dp/B000BH437S

I don't think that is available as a VST....

:D

Marc Wielage

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 am

Sol33t303 wrote:I was thinking I could probably try and emphasize my friend's voice and turn down the volume of the wind but that might make the audio quality worse I would imagine? So how should I go about this?

There is no real way to do this. You can reduce it to a point, but it'll never be eliminated.

The iZotope RX plug-ins can work to a point, but with erratic, broadband noise like wind, it's going to be dicey. If it were a commercial project, I'd say either re-shoot it or loop the entire thing (that is, bring the actors into a room and have them redo all their lines).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 6:18 am

Cedar's ReTouch 7 features the Cleanse process to separate dialogue from wind gusts allowing quick suppression of noise, and in combination with the DNS One dialogue noise suppressor (tools designed specifically for these type of issues), the process can be very close to transparent.

The RX suite of tools aren’t nearly as effective and have a definite processed character, and incur massive latencies in all hosts. The Cedar tools do not have these issues.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Sam Steti

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 9:35 am

I'd been quite satisfied with Izotope Voice Denoiser for wiping big kichen fans... For wind I don't know but I suspect softwares able to separate sounds like Cedar or Bias Soundsoap to be the more appropriate...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Daz Wood

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 10:12 am

I would make a guess that wind into a phone mic would over power any sound. It's not going to be like trying to clean up a shotgun or close mic. Let us all know if you have any luck in improving it.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Sol33t303

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks everybody who has been responding and thanks for the suggestions.

It seems like there are a few options for doing this, but I would prefer if I could spend as little money as possible so I would much prefer cheap/free software, another thing I should have mentioned is that I'm running Linux so if possible I would like for the software to be compatible with it. The high pass audio filter sounds like a way to improve it without spending much, how can I set it up? Also, it's possible that we could loop it, but I'm not hopeful that we will be able to do it as the class was given a few periods to record but now they aren't letting us do more, but it's possible we could convince the teachers.

Mark Tavares

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 pm

I'm pretty awesome at this - It's a combination layers with filters and heaps of different effects with Audacity you can get some pretty amazing results. It requires some experimentation but there are a few good youtube tutorials that you can extract some decent info from...

Byron Dickens

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Holy s&!t! $3000 for a plugin!

Somehow, I think if the OP had that kind of disposable cash laying around, he wouldn't be shooting his project with a smartphone and wouldn't be having this issue in tbe first place.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Byron Dickens wrote:Holy s&!t! $3000 for a plugin!

Somehow, I think if the OP had that kind of disposable cash laying around, he wouldn't be shooting his project with a smartphone and wouldn't be having this issue in tbe first place.
A common problem especially in ENG where the reporters are using their phones or a cheap handheld recorder with lousy built-in mics, in order to do quick on-the-fly and unplanned interviews in unfavourable conditions, or in locations with uncontrollable issues that directly affect the captured audio.

Often that's all one has to work with, and it needs to be cut with other footage and source audio, and the viewer shouldn’t notice what was done where.

Thank goodness for Cedar is all I can say.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Cary Knoop

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Sol33t303 wrote:I was thinking I could probably try and emphasize my friend's voice and turn down the volume of the wind but that might make the audio quality worse I would imagine? So how should I go about this?

Any other general information would also be good to know. Thanks :)

The only viable option is to redo the shot, but this time with a "dead cat" windshield or if it is very windy a blimp.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:50 pm

Another software option is to trial (or purchase a 2 week rental of) Audionamix SVC, which separates dialogue from background elements to a certain extent: https://audionamix.com/technology/adx-svc/

You’re also welcome to DM a link to an audio sample, perhaps some more pertinent suggestions with solutions could be made.

Mads Johansen

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:46 pm

To make matters more annoying, humblebundle has a MAGIX SOUNDS OF MUSIC bundle you can buy (for the next 12 days), that includes MAGIX Video Sound Cleaning Lab, which should be able to clean wind noise.

I have not tried the software so I can't say how well it works, but for the asking price of (currently) $17.43 (about €14.04), it's hard to justify not buying it :)

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/m ... c-software
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

David Franzo

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 7:50 pm

You can get a 10-day trial of RX6 Advanced with the new De-Wind tool.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... -wind.html

It is absolutely incredible. If you can get what you need done within the trial period you could save the $1200 but it's very much worth the price if you end up doing a lot of audio repair. The de-clipper is equally impressive.

Kye Leslie

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 1:36 am

Assuming you still need to use the clip (instead of re-shooting it) one way to 'take the edge off' how bad it sounds is to put some noise in the background for the rest of the edited piece too.

The brain is very good at filtering out constant sources of sound, so the worst thing you can do it cut straight from something with no background sound to something with a background sound because the sudden change makes the difference really obvious.

If you do this I'd suggest having the background noise fade in very slowly at the start of the piece, and fade out gradually towards the end so that it doesn't draw attention to itself.

We've all learned this lesson the hard way - many of us more than once!

Jean Claude

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Will,

despair of not having a VST, you can try to reduce the wind but it will not eliminate it completely with the equelizer 6 band in fairlight. It will depend on the frequency of the wind.

in fairlight
you play the clip
You're active The 6 band
you bring the high frequencies to 15 or 16 Kz or less (we are not at the opera).
you move 1 to the right until the low frequency of the wind disappears or is the smallest.

Be careful not to distort the voice too much.
It's done quickly but you can always try ..
Maybe someone else has another solution with the 6-band EQ?

In this link a sample unfiltered and other dewind

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4519d4 ... 411/658013

dewind.jpg
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Ed June

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 am

You can get the iZotope stuff "cheaply" when on sale.
Also, just purchase the elements copy first.
They are always having sales on upgrade offers after that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve