UltraStudio 4K Extreme, HDR & FCPX

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Juan Ugarriza

UltraStudio 4K Extreme, HDR & FCPX

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Hello everyone:

I just get a UltraStudio 4K Extreme TB3. No problems so far outputting HDR PQ vía HDMI from DaVinci Resolve 14.3, even metadata travels nicely.

Unfortunately, no luck at all with Final Cut Pro X 10.4. Apple software can output signal SDR throught Ultrastudio, but seems HDR is not working. I know that the AJA Io 4K Plus works right with HDR and FCPX, but no with Resolve, so is not a solution for me.

Any thoughts about this issue?

Thank you very much.

Juan
http://www.finalcutpro.es

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: UltraStudio 4K Extreme, HDR & FCPX

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 2:12 pm

BM card can do it, but host software has to request it. Maybe FCP X doesn't support it yet.

Juan Ugarriza

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Thank you Andrew.

We are waiting the answer from Apple. In the meantime, a BMD word would be appreciated.

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 2:26 am

yeah BM stuff only works with other BM stuff. Will not work with Final Cut
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Erik Wittbusch

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:25 am

HDR is nothing special, just different tone mapping. You can even use a cheap Ultra Studio Mini Monitor with HD res timline and HDR color space. But you'll need a monitor with manual HDR override.

If FCPX can output HDR PQ then there should be no problem.

Juan Ugarriza

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 10:06 am

Clayton Von Isaacs wrote:yeah BM stuff only works with other BM stuff. Will not work with Final Cut

BMD hardware works fine for me with both Apple FCPX & Autodesk Smoke in SDR. I hope HDR issue is just a matter of time to fix, maybe a new Desktop Video update coming soon. :roll:

Erik Wittbusch wrote:But you'll need a monitor with manual HDR override. If FCPX can output HDR PQ then there should be no problem.

So, you are saying is just a lack metadata over HDMI output? That works with AJA, but I will try again to force the monitor, a Panasonic TV, actually. First time, the video signal was very weird, very different of Resolve output.

Thank you.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 10:52 am

You can also insert one of the HDFury boxes in the HDMI chain to inject HDR metadata and auto trigger TV to HDR mode.
Most HDR TVs don't have manual HDR switch (Panasonic models have and I think some Sony?)

Juan Ugarriza

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Panasonic models have and I think some Sony?

I think you can force it in this particular Panasonic TV. I will try it as soon as I can.

Jerry Hatfield

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I've looked at the cards that do 4K and support HDR and only the 8K card supports BT2020. All others support only BT601 and BT709. With that stated, how are you guys getting accurate BT2020 HDR out to monitor when the output is BT709?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 2:10 pm

If you use HDMI then it should be fine. I assume video will be properly converted using Rec.2020 math, specially in Resolve. You can use cheap Mini Monitor 4K for this. Not sure about SDI, but maybe it's just a lack of info on product page. Many people are using 4K Extreme 12G model, so it has to work fine even product page doesn't say Rec.2020.

Jerry Hatfield

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 4:41 pm

I can only go on product information. If the 8K card has it listed as supporting BT2020, so should all devices that really do support it. I've sent an email to support to get a definitive answer.
No telling how long that will take with NAB going on. It would take hours at the booth.

PS: I just noticed on the B&H site that it does list BT2020 as supported. The problem being is I will be working with HLG BT2020/2100 and that requires an HDMI 2.0b. So, at this point it looks as the only card that will work for me is the Kona 4.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Apr 09, 2018 10:09 pm

I think Resolve should also flag HDMI for HLG. This whole Rec.2020 info is bit misleading. This is only important if you send RGB data to BM card and it has to convert it to YUV before it's send over HDMI. I think in case of Resolve data is prepared on GPU and send to BM card in correct format to be pushed as is over HDMI to TV. Other part of HDMI signal is just metadata which describes this video data, so TV knows how and what to do with it. This is definitely supported on some BM cards. There are many people using 4K Extreme with OLED TVs or Sony BVM, so it has to work fine.
You can send Rec.2020 data even over very old card- as long as you prepare it up front (e.g. of proper RGB to YUV conversion if needed) and can force you receiver to treat it this way. Problem is when you can't force your receiver and metadata which travels with video data is saying that it's Rec.709. This can happen on SDI when your card has on Rec.2020 support and your receiver strictly relies on SDI metadata.

Jerry Hatfield

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm

The beauty of HLG is that no metadata is involved. If HLG is present, the playback monitor or TV, either sees it or it doesn't. It is also backwards compatible with HD HDR. This flavor of HDR is for broadcast and was developed by NHK and BBC, specifically for broadcast.

So, I'm thinking the card will work. I had a nice response from support yesterday and it is feasible that the card will work. I use Edius and I'm currently awaiting a reply from Japan as to the viability of the 4K Mini Monitor with HLG and Edius. Once a favorable report comes in....out comes the wallet.

Andrew, thanks for your comments. They have helped me ask better questions of both BM and GV.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:19 pm

You need to wait for Edius 9.2 update as older one doesn't properly talk to BM card to force HDR mode on HDMI. There are quite few improvements to HDR in Edius in 9.2, not sure if monitoring over BM is also improved.

Jerry Hatfield

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 1:34 am

Due to NDA I can't say much, but suffice it to say...I'm very familiar with 9.2.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Based on latest info (https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=41778), Edius 9.2 still does not inject HDR signalling on HDMI (on BM cards) so you can't use it with TVs which don't have ability to manually force HDR mode (which is most HDR TVs atm.).
It's still not added- quite disappointing, specially when GV "shouted" already with Edius 9 that it has FULL HDR workflow.

There is also incorrect info there.
HLG doesn't need static or dynamic metadata, but you do need and there is a flag on HDMI to tell TV that incoming signal is HLG. It's not up to user to every time switch to SDR, HDR10, HLG etc- this should be flagged on HDMI and every HDR TV will switch itself accordingly (otherwise whole switching would be tedious).

Christopher Dobey

PostWed Dec 25, 2019 8:39 pm

It's almost 2020 and using the Decklink Mini Monitor 4K I still can't get Final Cut Pro X 10.4.8 to output PQ Metadata to trigger the HDR logo [upper right hand corner] on my LG OLED B7A. Resolve 16.1.2 triggers PQ HDR (Rec.2100 1000 nit) just fine.
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 26, 2019 4:02 am

Christopher Dobey wrote:It's almost 2020 and using the Decklink Mini Monitor 4K I still can't get Final Cut Pro X 10.4.8 to output PQ Metadata to trigger the HDR logo [upper right hand corner] on my LG OLED B7A. Resolve 16.1.2 triggers PQ HDR (Rec.2100 1000 nit) just fine.

I believe the HDFury devices will allow you to manually force the HDR flag on with HDMI signals:

https://www.hdfury.com/product-category/4k-hdr/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Christopher Dobey wrote:It's almost 2020 and using the Decklink Mini Monitor 4K I still can't get Final Cut Pro X 10.4.8 to output PQ Metadata to trigger the HDR logo [upper right hand corner] on my LG OLED B7A. Resolve 16.1.2 triggers PQ HDR (Rec.2100 1000 nit) just fine.

You are complaining at wrong place. It's FCPX feature and Apple job to tell BM card to send metadata. Newer BM cards support it, but request has to come from host app. Nothing what BM can do about it if FCP X doesn't flag HDR signal with BM cards.

Latest Edius supports HDR flagging with new BM cards. It wasn't BM which added it but GV.
Complain on FCPX forum.

Christopher Dobey

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You are complaining at wrong place. It's FCPX feature and Apple job to tell BM card to send metadata. Newer BM cards support it, but request has to come from host app. Nothing what BM can do about it if FCP X doesn't flag HDR signal with BM cards.

Latest Edius supports HDR flagging with new BM cards. It wasn't BM which added it but GV.
Complain on FCPX forum.

I made a statement that if FCPX does indeed support metadata out via HDMI with the Decklink 4K like Resolve, I have not been able to trigger it. This is not a complaint Andrew.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Ok.
Does FCP X manual/readme/release notes suggest it should work with some BM cards?

Christopher Dobey

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 1:25 am

Update: As of 2/17/2020 with the Desktop Video update to 11.5 I've tested the DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G and DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K to output PQ HDR metadata via HDMI correctly from Final Cut Pro X.
Attachments
FCPX.png
FCPX.png (124.99 KiB) Viewed 3595 times

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 7:25 pm

Finally some setting which shows clearly what you are outputting.

Return to Post Production