Video Assist 4K with Nikon D4

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

merwine

Video Assist 4K with Nikon D4

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 2:13 am

I'm strongly considering the purchase of a Video Assist 4K monitor for use with my Nikon D4 for video use. Anyone here have the same setup? Looking for feedback - thanks in advance

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist 4K with Nikon D4

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Why a VA4K? The Nikon D4 is a 2012 Camera, that can ony record HD in 720p and 1080p up to 30 fps.
The camera is primarily a sports and action still camera, that can do some nice landscape work at its 14-bit still resolution. Getting a 4K recorder is not going to give you 4K video from a HD video feed from DSLR, or any HD only camera. The VA just records the signal it receives, no upscaling. Also the D4 is going to be limited to only around 25 min of video recording, due to video cooling requirements and international restrictions imposed on this all all DSLR cameras that era.

I had a D7100(same Video processor as the D4), which I tried to use for video recording with a VA 5-inch HD, and the camera kept shutting off after about 20-minutes of Live output. Also, the D7200 would only output a 1080i59.94 signal when set to 1080p30, the only progressive output was 720p59.94. The VA does not reconvert 3:2 pulldown Video 1080i back to 1080p, like the Atomos Ninja and Sumri recorders do.

I would connect your camera to a TV monitor set it out 1080p30 video recording and see what the HDMI output actually is (you may have to press the info button on the TV remote to see the resolution on the input signal.

The VA4K will record HD, and it does have a nice 7-inch screen, and can be used with a newer 4K video camera, should you get one down the road.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

merwine

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Denny Smith... thanks for the feedback. I am fully aware of the capabilities and limitations of my D4. My D4 is what I currently use for action sports and videos. I want a larger display and can take advantage of some added capability like focus peaking for now, while my ultimate plan is to replace it eventually (probably a D5 or maybe a D6 when Nikon moves onward) AND get a Black Magic Micro Studio Camera 4K as well for more stationary work. For now I want to have some gains using the Video Assist 4K with my D4 while paving a compatibility road for the near future as well.

Denny Smith

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Then you should be good to go, the VA4K will give you the future proofing you need, a bigger screen, etc.
To test for compatibility with the VA, just check the D4 live view output of the HDMI with a TV monitor. I do not see why it would not work, as it did with my D7100, and even my Nikon 1, V1 and V3 (which show the same display as the camera screen, not a clean feed.)

I had the VAHD and sold it before the VA4K came out to get a Video Devices Pix E, which has direct audio support the VAHD lacked, by the VA4K has (direct mic/line input bypassing the camera audio),which for interviews is a nice feature when you want good audio tracks on the video recording.

The D4 is a great camera, if you decide to sell it, let me know, I have been looking at one for its 14-bit photos, and I personally prefer its 16MP over the higher resolution cameras, especially for any video work.
Let me know what the D4’s outout resolution is when the camera is set to 1080p30, I would be interested to know. Thanks and good luck,
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Patrick Baldwin

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 12:37 pm

I have D4's that I use for multicam theatrical shooting. I have the 5" and the 4K 7" which is for use on my FS5 and gets me the waveform that the 5" lacks. I have used the 5" with a D4 I think and definitely with my D800. Using the VA will bypass the time restriction. Denny, you may have experienced it because there is a custom function which from memory stops the camera from switching off after 20 minutes. Perhaps you have missed that. I'm not in front of my cameras at the moment to look. Sorry.
The D4 has pretty soft HD in it's uncropped mode which sadly is how I have to shoot. It has very good HD in the 2.7 crop mode as long as you can cope with that crop.
This interview was shot in the 2.7 crop mode using a 50mm Sigma Art:

Denny, I would definitely recommend the D800 over the D4 unless you need the low light and fps advantages. I love my D4's but the dynamic range of the D800 wipes the floor with it on that count.
Best wishes. Patrick.

Denny Smith

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks Patrick, yes, I did not see how to turn off the time restriction in the menu settings, good to know.
Yes, the D800is a grand camera, and I have looked at one of those as well. I just had an opportunity to get a good deal on a D4, but ended up not getting t anyway. Still thinking this one over.

The feed back in the video is interesting in that the DX crop mode was sharper. I think this is because there is less pixel binning, as the sensor in crop mode may be closer to HD native resolution, which with video usually resutls in better image quality and a sharper looking image. I am also looking at the D500.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Patrick Baldwin

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi Denny. Yes you are right about the reason for the better HD in crop mode. There is no pixel binning in that mode.
Best wishes. Patrick

Return to Getting Started