Headset Recommendation - ATEM Studio Converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

aurmer

Headset Recommendation - ATEM Studio Converter

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm

We are using our ATEM Studio Converter for comms between director and cameras. After a bit of testing and forum browsing, I suspect that our Sennheiser HMD 280pro is not working well because the manual states its microphone has 200Ω impedance. I found a post here which suggests that I should use a 50Ω microphone. I cannot find this specification anywhere in BMD documentation.

Are there any officially recommended headsets for use with the ATEM Studio Converter? It seems difficult to search stores for headsets with "low impedance mic" AND "aviation interface". Most listings don't even specify what the mic impedance is. :x

With that said, I found a headset with a M-101 microphone mount. This would allow me to buy the microphone separately, which might be a plus.

aurmer

Re: Headset Recommendation - ATEM Studio Converter

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Seeing that I didn't get any response, I would like to ask a different question.
Can anyone say that they utilize the comms built into the Blackmagic Studio Camera?

dpictMEDIA

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 5:27 pm

I have never seen anyone use them. I would think that they would be ok in a quiet environment. I have never worked in a quiet environment so I never looked into it. I always just set up some kind of Clear Com system and enjoy not having any com related issues during a gig. Hassle with com mid show is so easy to avoid this way.
Aric Mackey

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 7:03 am

have tried the BMD coms...well whats in the studio converter/camera converters/2me swx anyway. where do I start?

first off, the design seems to be dir+cams...period. anything else requires a LOT more work. interfacing them to an average PL system is a PITA. AES to Analog 4W to 2W with power for belt packs is the path, complex and pricey. once you get there they leave a LOT to be desired IMO. the headphone outs are pretty wimpy (would never be loud enough for outdoor sport or a indoor concert). aircraft h/s plugs and iPod connectors are....NOT what my headsets have...putting these connectors on real headsets would be a custom job, I'm not aware of an off the shelf offering. the typical aircraft h/s and iPod earbuds don't cut it for me.

they used to gate the director mic on the studio converter, think they fixed that because it would cut him off unless he spoke VERY loudly. overall sound quality is pretty poor, lots of amp hiss. there's no provision to add more techs, like grfx or stg mgr or vt operators into the loop...and there's only one channel so there is that...

all in all, after playing with it I din't think it would work out and would require a lot of support from me for average techs to keep it tuned and working. so we use a real com system (RTS Zeus and/or RTS party line). much happier now.

I will say what's built into the new fiber cam back/ccu stuff looks VERY promising, and would interface nicely with what we use now. I don't see me getting any to play with for some time-smpte fiber is expensive and not something I need in my workflow. when they make the ethernet pass thru work....well maybe.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production